• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Husquvarna Hatchet size..?

Reaction score
The Husquvarna website lists the hatchet as both 15 inches and 13 inches in the details. Talk about confusing... has anyone bought one or know someone that's bought one recently? I heard they changed the style in the last year or two so not sure if that's why there is the confusion on size?

13 inch or 15 inch are too short for my personal tastes, I would buy the 26 inch axe (couple inches longer would even be better) then you would have a good tool. Big enough to chop and split wood and if you needed a shorter tool, just choke up on the handle. I have a few scars on my legs from some bad choices in swinging I made with a boy scout hatchet. Having said that I would think the company only measured the handle protruding from the head 13", the total length with head would be 15". or it may just be a typo. Some of the places on the world wide web that I checked all said 13" handle. I would go to a store that sells Husqvarna chain saws and take a look, the one in Fairbanks (The Woodway) has the axes, I will check on the length next time I make the 30+ trip into the big village. My friend Phil has a older Husqvarna axe that I have used and liked, very sharp! But, Phil is a wood worker, so you kind of expect his tools to be razor sharp. I might add I would never use someone's tools without their approval, especially a wood workers.

I would agree that you'd be safer and better served with the Hudson Bay axe of 26". I have the Husquvarna (which is actually made by Wetterlings) and haven't killed myself yet.

Different strokes for different folks. I like my axe for general camp use, but have downsized to a hatchet for smaller packing on some trips. It works well when I only intend to tap split for small fires. I'm no gram weenie, but every little bit of pack space helps on some trips. Good luck with your Huskie Srobocop.

I have a husquvarna hatchet that is probably two years old, but unfortunately I don't have access to it to take a measurement for you. I used it mostly for rough carpentry work, but it also was good for splitting small short pieces of wood for a stick stove. I liked the full size axes so much that when someone was looking for a simple Xmas present idea, I suggested the hatchet to round out the collection. The measurement difference could be that it's being measured to the base of the poll/head in one and the top of the poll/head in the other. Either way, it's a nice little hatchet if that's what you're looking for. Axes are like golf clubs (I don't golf, but it's the best comparison), you need about five different sizes to accomplish all the wood cutting jobs with the most efficiency. I'm overseas for a few years and the only axe I brought with me was an old Snow and Nealley 3.5 lbs axe so I could do all the necessary axe tasks I may encounter with one axe.

Last edited:
Axes are like golf clubs (I don't golf, but it's the best comparison), you need about five different sizes to accomplish all the wood cutting jobs with the most efficiency.

I can think of a much better corollary we can all relate to.....the need for multiple canoes! ;)

It works well when I only intend to tap split for small fires.

I don't normally take an axe or hatchet but am thinking of taking a hatchet this year for just that purpose. I get along ok batoning with a knife but tap splitting with a hatchet would be nicer and also help limbing some of those dead spruce saplings I cut up to burn. Can't justify the size and weight of my 27" axe but maybe the hatchet.

Alan

Alan, You're right! I'm so used to explaining to non paddlers why I need to have so many canoes I forgot my audience. Please forgive me.

I take an old Spiller with a 3 lb. head and a 30" handle. I personally dislike hatchets for camp use, especially solo tripping. Too dangerous for my taste.
Dave

I'm leaning towards a compromise between my axe and hatchet; something in the 15"-18" range, small axe size.

Today I was in Fairbanks, stopped in at the Woodway store, and talked to the owner, a old friend of at least 40 years. I measured the Husqvarna hatchet, the handle, without the part in the helve, was 13". The total length of the hatchet was 15", hope this helps. No one on the store staff knew which Swedish forge made the hatchets or axes. I personally would chose the Carpenter's hatchet if I were to buy a hatchet. Of course I would then be opening myself up to cuts to shins and knees.
I have always liked the reading the different forums on which is best.
1) Real axes
2) hatchets
3) Rambo knives
4) none of the above, use a stove

I suppose none of use are correct in what we use, however I grew up with a axe and find myself most comfortable with one I also have two folding buck saws, one med. the other large, I always take one of these to complement the the axe. But, wait, what about the weight? Well I don't tale a chair and a bunch of the other things that some feel they need
You will not find me beating on the back of one of my hand forged, hand crafted, birch bark handled Puukku's (Finnish general purpose knife) with a stick.
I trapped beavers a long time ago with a real old time trapper, that old guy was tough as nails, I cannot remember a time that his Hudson's Bay Axe was not in his right hand or near to his side for three months. He was always lopping off a low hanging limb or a encroaching branch on the trails.

I hope you'll forgive what is probably a newbie question, but I'm curious about the idea that a hatchet is more dangerous than an axe, which I've seen expressed on other forums as well. What's the reason for that?

I hope you'll forgive what is probably a newbie question, but I'm curious about the idea that a hatchet is more dangerous than an axe, which I've seen expressed on other forums as well. What's the reason for that?
You're closer to the blade. A long handled axe gives you some room to move out of the way and is more likely to hit the ground.

But in reality all we carry are considered hatchets. Camping axes are in that category.

Any and all cutting tools are dangerous when improperly used and maintained. A hatchet with a smaller cutting face and shorter handle is more suited to smaller cutting tasks. You wouldn't want to fell a tree with one. A shorter swing is best, remembering the blade is that much closer to you than an axe. Posture when swinging is all important too.
I think the bias against hatchets are a result of many people needing and using an axe for the bigger tasks required of them, and rejecting the ill-suited hatchets. If you were to reduce your gear and improve your tool flexibility an axe would be the way to go. ie You can do many tasks both small and large adequately with an axe safely, whereas the smaller hatchet is more limited in function. But some folks choose a hatchet to canoe camp with, seeing an axe as more dangerous and cumbersome, and then run into trouble with it's little brother. Hence stories told of the dangerous hatchet. People regularly hurt themselves with knives too. The right tool chosen and used properly for the right job is safest, but some people trip without cutting tools entirely. That's an option for some.

Guys.. I'm not lugging a full size axe on an 8 day canoe trip. A foldable saw to cut trees (typically nothing bigger than the forearm), and a hatchet to split them. A hatchet is only dangerous if you don't use it properly...

That being said. I appreciate the answers. 15 inches from top of head to end of handle is what i was hoping for, and was glad to hear that, I'll be ordering one soon. Thank you again everyone.

Last edited:
Husquarna was too expensive for me, so i bought this one for approx 8$ and is suprisingly great. Especially for this price.c6728ef4364d62321962a8f4f0af11be.jpg

Back