• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Nice self made Baker tent

Reaction score
Steven Le Say from the UK posted this on Open Canoe Freunde (Facebook). He says he made most of the kit. Nice tent, wannigan, sleeping set up, pack, paddles.
Well done.
12670404_10154122635867176_2152568512067818196_n.jpg

12670398_10154122636982176_6619877049327990956_n.jpg

12743756_10154122637097176_5632739983073566977_n.jpg

nice setup and gear. pretty country. is that a canal behind it?
turtle

nice outfit there...! So much about a traditional Baker style tent speaks to simple times, until you start pitching it and getting it set up good and tight against a rain and wind. I have a little Whelen and the Baker is the next logical step up in protection. I have bought and played with 3 wall tents while thinking about getting one...

adding 2 pull out loops to the back wall of a whalen or sides of a wedge tent make a surprising improvement.
Turtle

nice outfit there...! So much about a traditional Baker style tent speaks to simple times, until you start pitching it and getting it set up good and tight against a rain and wind. I have a little Whelen and the Baker is the next logical step up in protection.

Steve posted this picture of his Whelen Tent that he also made. He used it on a recent 100 mile canoe trip, in Europe I assume. His all time favorite.

12718319_10154126216062176_899067598574467511_n.jpg

That kit wreaks of badassery, and I now feel that I will never be happy tripping without a sheep skin and a wannigan to sit and drink my coffee on.

Barry

That kit wreaks of badassery, and I now feel that I will never be happy tripping without a sheep skin and a wannigan to sit and drink my coffee on.

Barry
More like bad backery! Just thinking about portaging all that stuff makes me feel unwell. He's done a great job making all that gear. Presumably if you are trying to be authentic to period you wouldn't drink coffee although labrador tea would be in very short supply in the UK so stinging nettle tea maybe?.

Yes it could well be a canal. The movement of all the boat traffic keeps the sediment in constant suspension so they always look turbid

Very nice tent, I wish I had one that size.

I doubt he did much if any portaging with all that cast iron. I don't even think he was paddling, where is the canoe? And I'm not even sure he was camping. In all of the hundreds of times I set my campfire tent up on a trip it always faced the water.

More like bad backery! Just thinking about portaging all that stuff makes me feel unwell.

Yup, not meant for the kevlar-nylon-freeze dried-trippers who worry about pounds and speed, that's why I added "traditional gear" when I took over the site. Lots of folks like wood/canvas/leather/axes/ cooking real food over fire, me too. Weight-Speed is far from our minds out there on the trail, it's all good.;)

nice set-up -- my current outfit is a small baker and a couple whelens...real game changers after three decades in timerblines

Sure does look cozy set up like that. Looks like the poles go along for the ride. I wonder what the bed is propped up on.

Yup, not meant for the kevlar-nylon-freeze dried-trippers who worry about pounds and speed, that's why I added "traditional gear" when I took over the site. Lots of folks like wood/canvas/leather/axes/ cooking real food over fire, me too. Weight-Speed is far from our minds out there on the trail, it's all good.;)

I'm with Robin, speed is not a word I use any more wile on trips... Or at work for that matter...

I'm also with Robin. BUT, I will replace the cast iron with aluminum, and I have an old sylnylon tarp with some holes and tears that I use near and sometimes over the fire. Carrying the extra weight is not always very pleasant. Besides, each can of beer is almost a pound and there's only so much you can fit in the canoe! You gotta rob Peter to pay Paul I guess. Lol

No love for sheepskin? Jeez, I love my sheepskin pillow for camping. (car camping to be specific).

Anyway, kind of an interesting set up he's made. Better watch out for scurvy.

I'm with Robin, speed is not a word I use any more wile on trips... Or at work for that matter...

What's work? Sounds like a dirty 4 letter word to me. And isn't speed illegal? My sons and grandsons laugh at me for all the stuff I put in my canoe and are on my case 'cuz I don't even try to keep up anymore. But in camp, the grandsons put their butts in my nice chair the second I get up. ...and when the cast iron dutch oven comes out for cobbler or cake or lasagna... I keep adding stuff so I got 2nd blue barrel.

Jon

Back