• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Some older cutting tools

Reaction score
From left to right:
- A Charles Hammond lathe hatchet made sometime between 1868-1899. I found this hatchet while paddling off the Big Black river in an oxbow lake I was exploring. The land-tract owner had told me about some old house-sites abandoned in the 1920's. I found this hatchet by kicking around one of the old stone chimneys. I love the balance of this tool and I take it on all my overnighters. The whipping on the handle is simply a storage point for bank-line.
- A Bridgeport made "Tomahawk Jr." most probably made circa1930's. It is categorized as a crating tool. It belonged to my grandfather. I use it on all my deer hunting trips where I either paddle or backpack into the forest. Surprisingly it is the best field-dressing tool I've ever used. I've sharpened the pry cleats to strip down the hide, use the cutting blade to de-bone the meat, and use the paracord whipping to tie up the meat for packing out.
- An American Knife Co. Solingen cast (Germany) "Sabre" made between 1961-65. I found it on the shore of Tionesta Reservoir while muskie fishing somewhere around 1968. I don't really use it that much but every once in a while I strap it on just cuz it makes me feel like Simon Kenton or Davey Duncan!

Sorry about the size of the picture; I'm just now learning how to do all this stuff. Oh yea, my great-grandmother made the quilt.

Attachments

• photo3665.jpg
    photo3665.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 1
Very nice, especially that little hatchet. That knife looks very similar to one that has been featured on this site very recently in a draw!

Thanks Memaquay, and did you not win that knife in the drawing? The little hawk is my very favorite piece of kit.

There is something about using an old tool with a history. I can't quite explain it. I have a old claw hammer that my grand father gave me when I was twelve. He had used it to make a living before he had retired. I have re-handled it since. I have two claw hammers, but I always look for the one my Grandfather used. When I pick it up and use it I think of him, and it feels like there is a thread connecting me to the past. His past. I get that same feeling when using other old hand tools as well. Glad you joined us here Doc, I enjoy your posts. Dave

" I found this hatchet by kicking around one of the old stone chimneys."

That is a nice find. I spent an afternoon with a forester last Saturday in a local working forest http://www.greatmountainforest.org/

he mentioned finding a few old ax heads over the years, he said he tries to find where the outhouse was located at old homesteads for interesting finds. Makes sense I guess. ha

Thanks, nice quilt too.

I inherited tools from my father. I feel fortunate to have them and carry on a tradition of sorts; keeping them and our memories alive for another generation. I didn't feel so fortunate as a kid helping out on DIY projects around the place; rebuilding block foundations, framing walls, roofing and landscaping. What do kids know, eh? I was in an antique place just yesterday. I found myself in a dark corner rummaging through big shelves looking at tools. I don't need anymore tools, but the piles of pliers, hammers, augers and bits had me wondering what work these trusty rusty old tools had seen. The stories they could tell, eh?
Really nice finds there Doc. I especially like the big hatchet. It's good to see you'll be adding to their stories.

Dave: Thanks. I love being all tied up in those "connecting threads" of which you write. Sometimes, when I'm using my Grandfather's tools I can even "smell" his shop -- might be my imagination but I bask in it just the same.
​Robin: Thanks. I have a great narrative about one experience I had with the foresters. However I think I'll save it for another time/thread.
Odyssey: Thanks. Some folks believe "time is fleeting". I choose to believe that "time is rich and generous".

Back