• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Antique paddle circa 1855

Reaction score
Not meant for modern day tripping, but thought I'd post about a vintage paddle that just recently sold at auction. It is dated to no later than 1855 with the grip etched with some basic decorations including a heart and the initials "FMD".

1855%2BPenobscot%2BWedding%2BPaddle5.jpg
170848-4.jpg

It apparently was made as a wedding gift for Fannie Marie Daubney by her husband William Daubney who had a similar paddle dated to 1839. The paddle was estimated to sell for $800-$1000 and went for $5400 US.

Maybe in 150 years, people will collect carbon fiber bentshafts as nostalgia items.

When I first read the post, I thought it said you had sold it in an auction, I was pretty excited! Then I re-read it, I'm still somewhat excited, but was more so when I thought of all the new canoe stuff you were going to buy!

Guess I won't sell my paddles in 150yrs ! Thanks for the info !

Jim

Last edited:
I don't remember seeing any CF paddles at the CCM. Maybe in the racing displays but I walked by them.

When I first read the post, I thought it said you had sold it in an auction, I was pretty excited! Then I re-read it, I'm still somewhat excited, but was more so when I thought of all the new canoe stuff you were going to buy!

Thanks Mem. Maybe one day. But for the moment, my twisted plan is to make 5400 cheap knock-offs from salvaged pallets and flood the Chinese market with "authentic wedding paddles".

Back