• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Duluth #4

Reaction score
To my pleasant surprise I was able to find a Duluth Pack (#4 HD) today at a great price. It's about 10 years old and only used once. These certainly are not common in my area, 1st one I've actually seen.

My only beef with it is the head of my axe doesn't fit in the side pocket, otherwise it'll hold a ton of gear.

Last edited:
Now that is a great looking pack. I carry my ax in the side with the ax head up, not a great fit, but it works.

Axually (haha) it's pretty convenient if you need the ax really fast, like a bear attack on a portage, just pull it straight up. I find the strap on top keeps it tight when the pack is full and the strap clinched tight.
I carry my tent poles on the other side with my knock down Schimdt Pack saw too, has been a good system for me.

Those leather straps are just plain perfect for carrying a big load imho. I have an old #3 without the pockets but with leather straps, nice.
Great Find, will look good in that OT tripper;)

Actually sold the Tripper the other day, was trying to flip my Esquif Prospecteur buy it's not moving so I put an inflated price on the Tripper and it went.... The Esquif will suit me fine for a bit. I'll likely find another Tripper (in better shape and cheaper) in a month or two with any luck.

Good looking pack, the only problem I have ever had with mine is you can put too much in it!

No Title

nice! i picked up a #4dlx this spring...mostly i'm a woods-pack guy, but have always been intrigued by the three-strap tribe...it holds a lot. is perfect for a solo few days with my too-large canvas campfire tent that i use in the shoulder seasons...(which is bulk more than mass, so it actually makes a pretty plush ride on the back) not sure what i think of the hip-belt on the dlx, probably wouldn't miss it, and it does mess up the lines a little laying in the boat...but i -love- the padded shoulders, might retrofit some on my #200 next time i get to it...the canvas tump isn't as odd as i thought it might, compared to the leathers...and the construction is bombproof! the only knocks on the bag are, like you, the axe -- is there a proper way to carry an axe with these things? -- i'm used to stuffing the axe, the tent-poles, and my folding axe along one side of a woods-bag, but the duluth is too short, yet not quite wide enough, and i notice that if it's not stuffed full, things tend to flop out the top...the woods pack seems more amenable to under and over-loading with equal ease...all in all a great pack tho. congrats on the find!

Attachments

• photo2640.jpg
    photo2640.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 1
Tried out the Duluth for the first time this weekend, it's amazing how much gear you can move in one shot.

Water levels were a little low, with the ease of moving the Duluth pack we opted to remove some weight in the canoe before we ran this stretch of rapids.

I'm sold on big packs!

Very nice pack. Like Canotrouge, we have a Woods 200 that is pretty spiffy ...uses the crossed straps. I was eyeballing Robin's Duluth when he was not looking. Equally good as a Woods. I was lusting after some similar packs at RedLake Outfitters last week too. I cant remember the brand but they were identical to the Duluth. I may have to retire the Eureka's.

As noted, the one issue is the tendency to pile way too much crap in one of those babies though. Sooooo, maybe a smaller one. Or a bigger canoeing partner.

Christy

I hummed and hawed whether to bring my Woods pack along on the trip this past summer. My wife wasn't interested in carrying anything without padded shoulder straps and hip belt. Fair enough. That just left the Woods for me. The other 3 packs were cushy and comfortable enough for her. I was impressed with how the canvas pack felt on my back, and boy oh boy did it ever hold alot. Anything that didn't find a home in another rubbery techie bag soon was stuffed into the bottomless canvas pack. Well, nearly bottomless. There must've been a bottom down there somewhere, underneath the tarps, saw, hatchet, rope...heck, I don't remember half the gear we crammed into it. I won't do that with my dry packs for fear of tearing and puncturing them.
I too was eyeing other's packs and wondering how they'd ride on my back. Robin's and Rob's stuff went over the ports so fast I never got the chance to sneak one for a walk. I was eyeing Christine's on one port, looking all new and unstained, and pondered "Would she mind? Maybe I could say I'd carried it by accident?" But before I could make up my mind it I was somehow carrying a stove and gas can instead. Oh well. Next time.
That's a nice pack Jamie. I really like the tump. I place a smaller pack sideways on top of another, using a shoulder strap as a kind of tump strap. The load shifts too much to work really well though.
BTW, it would be a cool thread to post before and after photos of what everyone fits into their Wood-Duluth packs.

No Title

my original woods canoe packs from 1989, together again on a two-week solo -- i like my new #4, but i love these old things...

Attachments

• photo2979.jpg
    photo2979.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 0
There is a good chance i'll be putting this bag up for sale (will know Friday). I was checking the Duluth website and they have a note on this style and a couple of others that it is the last chance to buy. Anyone know if they are discontinuing this model?
https://www.duluthpack.com/backpacks...anoe-pack.html

To my pleasant surprise I was able to find a Duluth Pack (#4 HD) today at a great price. It's about 10 years old and only used once. These certainly are not common in my area, 1st one I've actually seen.

My only beef with it is the head of my axe doesn't fit in the side pocket, otherwise it'll hold a ton of gear.

I have three #4 envelope style Duluth packs and everything goes inside, even folding chairs, we never hand carry anything on a portage(or left anything behind) and there are no loose items in the boat to loose in an upset.. I like big packs but if they aren't pretty full they're not ideal. I recently got a #3 Frost river and a smaller Duluth food pack on ebay but haven't had them on a trip yet. The Frost river bag was brand new and even had the plastic liner and was about 50% off retail price.

Looks like the end of the #4 Deluxe from Duluth.
Hi Jamie,

Yes, the #4 Deluxe Pack is unfortunately being discontinued, that means that the remaining packs in our warehouse will be sold but no more will be manufactured. If you are hoping to buy one I suggest doing so soon to make sure you get the last one on our shelves.

Thanks for your interest!

Stephanie Hall
Customer Service Representative
Duluth Pack
Hand Crafted Since 1882

(218) 722-3898
customerservice@duluthpack.com
www.duluthpack.com

Wonder what the difference is between the deluxe and the standard model? Looks like the original #4 will still be made.

Back