• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

re-furbished woods packs

Reaction score
picked up a pair of circa 1970's woods packs from the local classified last week for not at all much money. older couple used them back in the day, don't trip these days, cleaning out the garage, were happy to see them go to a good home for a token amount.

the usual wear-and tear, holes, tears, frayed seams in the stress areas around the ears and so on. leather was mostly complete, but blown-out in a few places. one of the shoulder-straps was held on with wire. one of the tumps busted. lots of duct-tape...

started taking them apart to see what they would need to get them back in service, not rebuilt with new leather or anything fancy, just general repairs with materials on-hand.

got most of the canvas patched, the seams re-stitched, and added leather tabs in the high-wear areas where they had blown-out. just to try it out. used the old shoulder-straps, shortened them by about 1/2" and trimmed off the burned-out rivet-holes. replaced one strap on the busted tump with an old bit of strapping from the overhaul of my #200 a few years ago. added some duluth inspired re-reinforcement around the shoulder-straps...

total material out-lay, about a dozen rivets, some thread and leather scraps...

i'm not sure if i don't love the maintenance on these things as much as the actual use.

but it's cheap entertainment...

Attachments

• photo2580.jpg
    photo2580.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2581.JPG
    photo2581.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2582.JPG
    photo2582.JPG
    324 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2583.JPG
    photo2583.JPG
    404.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2584.JPG
    photo2584.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 0
Good stuff on the repairs. I wonder how many of these packs are just collecting dust waiting to be refurbished and brought back to life. When I did mine the shoulder strap points were attached with wire too. I found redoing the attachment in the "Duluth Pack" style strengthened it up significantly.

That's perfect, I'd rather use a used canvas canoe pack than any new pack. Not sure what attracts me to these packs, maybe making do with a simple design, it's been around for so long and I admire the old trippers who used them.
I wonder how many campfires that pack shared, how many conversations it heard, how many cold rainy days....
Good find, Thanks for the post and pics;)

Back