• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Cruiser axe? Does anyone use one?

Reaction score
Hi there, this is my first post on this forum. Just wondering if anyone uses a double bit cruiser axe while on a trip? I've been wanting one for a long time and am looking to be talked into buying one :D

Would it be better just to stick with my boy's axe?

Because threads are always improved by pictures, here's a picture of a little paddle I whittled with my boy's axe, just as a practice.

Attachments

• photo2159.jpg
    photo2159.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 1
I carry a single bit older Snow and Neally, but I have a double bit vintage Collinsville hatchet that I use to split kindling in my shops wood stove. I find the blunt side of a single bit more conducive to canoe tripping, tapping in tent pegs, fixing whatchamacallits along the trail, but I'm a self taught ax man and probably could learn a thing or two from those who would carry a double bit out there.
If you get one, post a follow up report on how it went. Thanks

Hi Robin, those older Snow and Neallys can be beauties. It was watching old videos of Dick Proenneke Alone in the Wilderness that got me thinking about the cruiser axe. The range of things he uses his for is astounding.

I'm away from home at the moment but I'm hoping to fire up the forge and make a double bit cruiser when I return. If all turns out well, I'll gladly let you know how it goes.

Cruiser axes are handy. A double bit is a throwback to the past.

I see no advantage to a double bit that comes close to the disadvantages. Disadvantages, at least for my axe purposes, include the lack of a pole but moreover that extra blade. Careful on the backswing Eugene. Even carrying the dang thing; without a sheath two bits are doubly dangerous.

What to do with it between logs may be most dangerous. When I am using an axe I typically sink it in a chopping block or etc between logs. Having another sharp edge sitting up like a stationary guillotine is not inviting.

I think the advantages of the double bit could be:

1. Improved balance and accuracy.

2. Improved optimization. Namely one bit with a fine edge for carving and shaping wood as well as chopping clean un-knotted wood, and another bit with a more obtuse edge for rougher chopping tasks.

3. You have a sharper edge for longer.

No doubt you are right about the safety issues.

Safety is a high priority with canoe trippers. Most would shy away from carrying a double bit on a trip. I have one at home that I use from time to time but would never consider taking it along. A single bit axe is dangerous enough for me.

Careful on the backswing Eugene
Even in the 70's, I never understood that Pink Floyd song, "Be careful with that Axe Eugene". I just googled it to see if the interweb could disclose the meaning of the song. Let's just say that I'm more disturbed now then I was in the late 70's, as the many meanings posted by interweb guru's range from crazy to completely cray cray.

Thanks for all your responses gentlemen. Always appreciate voices of experience.

I was most likely 23 years old before I had ever seen a single bit axe. My father bought me a double bit plumb brand cruisers axe when I was maybe in the sixth grade. I had been using his big double bits prior to that. The shorter 28 inch handles was just perfect fit for me then, as it is now. Back then, when we went camping, we always took one of the double bit axes, they were all we had. I grew up in Northern Minnesota, I suppose the double bit was the axe of choice, for the loggers in that area. The little town that I grew up near had at one time been know as the Cedar Capitol of the World. Along with the double bit axe we always took our 36 inch Swede saw too. These were the tools that we harvested our firewood at home with and they are what we knew. At home we cut the tree length firewood into blocks with a buzz saw mounted on the tractor. I doubt many parents today would let their child pitch blocks of wood, that were cut off by a whirling buzz saw blade a foot and a half away, while standing in a ever growing mound of saw dust.
I first saw a single bit axe when one summer when I was taking my first trips into the BWCA. During college summer vacation I had a summer job working in MN iron ore mines. I met a man there, who invited me to take a fishing trip with him, his son, and a couple of our co-workers. Bob had a Collins Hudson's Bay axe that we used that trip. I really liked it because it was light & sharp & had a 28 inch handle. I talked Bob into trading it to me for a Randall fighting knife, that I had bought while spending a year in Vietnam. The Randall was only good for stabbing thick chested men and small bears. Bob drove a hard bargain for that axe. He told me that it had been in his family for generations having the handle replaced ten times and the head twice!! I have replaced the handle a few times since, always with a 28 inch boys axe handle.
The only time I have camped since childhood, with the double bit axe was the spring that I trapped beaver with Bob. One week-end at the begining of the trapping season, we packed into the BWCA, to where we had earlier packed in a wall tent and stove along with the traps. We strung out some of traps up a drainage a few miles, then back to the cache. We then sledded our gear up a lake, to the outlet stream, where we set up the wall tent, spent the night. The next day we set traps near every beaver house on that lake, after which we hiked out of the woods. A few days later I returned alone, my Duluth pack lightly packed with food, sleeping bag and my childhood double bit axe. Bob had told me to go as far up the first creek that we had set traps on as I could. At the head of that creek was a small lake, where evening overtook me. I found the thickest grove of Balsam Fir I could and built a balsam bough lean-to in the middle. It was March which in MN is still late winter, and I knew I had to do a bunch of axe work, felling, limbing etc. nothing better for that than the double bit. The rest of that spring the double bit stayed in the lean-to to be used to rustle up a nights fire wood and to refresh our balsam bough bed. I now know that we are not allowed to make balsam bough beds and lean-tos but, I could never ever trade those nights for the worlds best hotel stays! We made a big loop of a trap line that started and ended at the lean-to. We would check those traps, then the ones between the lean-to and the main wall tent camp. At the main camp we had two other loops to surrounding lakes that each took a day to cover. I have never walked so much in my life, before or after, even on back packing trips. I also doubt that I have ever been in that fine of physical condition ever again. We caught 99 beavers that spring, along with 7-8 otters, sold them to the fur buyer and split the take. I loved the outdoor life of a trapper, but didn't like trapping.
BB

Good read, Thanks for sharing.

" Bob drove a hard bargain for that axe. He told me that it had been in his family for generations having the handle replaced ten times and the head twice!!"

Now that's funny!

I was most likely 23 years old before I had ever seen a single bit axe. My father bought me a double bit plumb brand cruisers axe when I was maybe in the sixth grade. I had been using his big double bits prior to that. The shorter 28 inch handles was just perfect fit for me then, as it is now. Back then, when we went camping, we always took one of the double bit axes, they were all we had. I grew up in Northern Minnesota, I suppose the double bit was the axe of choice, for the loggers in that area. The little town that I grew up near had at one time been know as the Cedar Capitol of the World. Along with the double bit axe we always took our 36 inch Swede saw too. These were the tools that we harvested our firewood at home with and they are what we knew. At home we cut the tree length firewood into blocks with a buzz saw mounted on the tractor. I doubt many parents today would let their child pitch blocks of wood, that were cut off by a whirling buzz saw blade a foot and a half away, while standing in a ever growing mound of saw dust.
I first saw a single bit axe when one summer when I was taking my first trips into the BWCA. During college summer vacation I had a summer job working in MN iron ore mines. I met a man there, who invited me to take a fishing trip with him, his son, and a couple of our co-workers. Bob had a Collins Hudson's Bay axe that we used that trip. I really liked it because it was light & sharp & had a 28 inch handle. I talked Bob into trading it to me for a Randall fighting knife, that I had bought while spending a year in Vietnam. The Randall was only good for stabbing thick chested men and small bears. Bob drove a hard bargain for that axe. He told me that it had been in his family for generations having the handle replaced ten times and the head twice!! I have replaced the handle a few times since, always with a 28 inch boys axe handle.
The only time I have camped since childhood, with the double bit axe was the spring that I trapped beaver with Bob. One week-end at the begining of the trapping season, we packed into the BWCA, to where we had earlier packed in a wall tent and stove along with the traps. We strung out some of traps up a drainage a few miles, then back to the cache. We then sledded our gear up a lake, to the outlet stream, where we set up the wall tent, spent the night. The next day we set traps near every beaver house on that lake, after which we hiked out of the woods. A few days later I returned alone, my Duluth pack lightly packed with food, sleeping bag and my childhood double bit axe. Bob had told me to go as far up the first creek that we had set traps on as I could. At the head of that creek was a small lake, where evening overtook me. I found the thickest grove of Balsam Fir I could and built a balsam bough lean-to in the middle. It was March which in MN is still late winter, and I knew I had to do a bunch of axe work, felling, limbing etc. nothing better for that than the double bit. The rest of that spring the double bit stayed in the lean-to to be used to rustle up a nights fire wood and to refresh our balsam bough bed. I now know that we are not allowed to make balsam bough beds and lean-tos but, I could never ever trade those nights for the worlds best hotel stays! We made a big loop of a trap line that started and ended at the lean-to. We would check those traps, then the ones between the lean-to and the main wall tent camp. At the main camp we had two other loops to surrounding lakes that each took a day to cover. I have never walked so much in my life, before or after, even on back packing trips. I also doubt that I have ever been in that fine of physical condition ever again. We caught 99 beavers that spring, along with 7-8 otters, sold them to the fur buyer and split the take. I loved the outdoor life of a trapper, but didn't like trapping.
BB

What a great story!! I always wanted a nice vintage double bit axe... It is easy to buy a new one, but a vintage that is still in usable condition that have sen some use would be a lot better, just like the cold handle frying pan lol

Canotrouge...........
I'll keep my eye out for a double bit cruisers axe for you, I would think there must be some in somebody's junk pile. When I find one I'll send you a message.
BB

I always wanted a nice vintage double bit axe... It is easy to buy a new one, but a vintage that is still in usable condition that have sen some use would be a lot better, just like the cold handle frying pan lol

Again, I don’t buy stuff off Ebay, but vintage double bit blades are not uncommon there selling for a final bid price of $10 - $20

Again, I don’t buy stuff off Ebay, but vintage double bit blades are not uncommon there selling for a final bid price of $10 - $20

I don't do Ebay any more... but there sure is a lot of good old stuff to be had for cheep!!

When the Cdn dollar was high I was on an Ebay buying binge for axes. The older the better, and several double bit. 1930's vintage Sager Chemical (Puget Sound style), several True Temper (Kelly Perfect and Black Prince). A couple of double bit cruiser axes and also some Swedish Sater Banko 2 ½ lb single bit. A Hults Bruk boys axe for my grandson. If I win the lottery I'll go for a Black Raven single bit in good shape. I guess I'd have to buy a ticket for that to happen. :rolleyes:

I use a nice old Kelly Perfect cruiser axe for clearing trails but still go back to my German Ox Heads for firewood and logging. Oh yeah, and a Norlund Hudson Bay single bit for canoe tripping.

There's a lot of garbage on Ebay. I cringe when I see what some people have done to their axe heads.

There's a lot of garbage on Ebay. I cringe when I see what some people have done to their axe heads.

Most of the stuff I found when searching Ebay for “Vintage Axe” was rusty, unrestored stuff that needed cleaning, sharpening and hanging. It would be a crapshoot as to whether the heads were cracked or had been abused at some point in their past.

Back