• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Poor Man's Duluth Pack

Reaction score
I've always wanted a proper canoe pack but could never justify the expense. The other day I found and old Swiss Army backpack, green canvas material with the rubber like coating. My initial thought after getting it home a stuffing it with gear is that it will do the job just fine, this concerns me as typically I fall victim to the "you get what you pay for expression".

IMG_0317

The size of this bag is pretty good. I had two bags to pick from to stuff in the pack. An old world famous lower end bag or my seal line.

IMG_0313

The seal line, even though a better quality bag, is smaller and doesn't quite fill up the pack. The green bag (a little bigger) fits pretty well. I'm wondering if an actual bag liner would provide better water protection or if the low end world famous green bag will be up to the task.

Another option I have with this size bag is to use it as a barrel harness.

IMG_0315

IMG_0316

Barrel secured in the backpack.

IMG_0318

The pack has a simple harness that should be up to the task of a modest portage or two.

IMG_0314

Overall I think it will be a suitable alternative to a higher end canvas bag, my only complaint, it doesn't have a proper axe pocket.

Anyone with experience with similar bags? I'd like to pick up another but would appreciate a little feed back on the idea first.

JP

Nice looking pack. I like it.
First things first, I would only use it as a barrel harness if I could add a flat cushioned pad to protect my back from the slightly bulging barrel. Lacking a sternum and hip belt wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, as long as the pack doesn't get too heavy.
Secondly, what do you carry in those other bags? Are they at all compressible? There are crush sacks available to keep the contents both compressed and dry. You might be able to rearrange the gear and fit more this way. That 30L Sealline looks nice.

What is the size of your Barrel, a 15 or 30 liter?

And as far as caring an ax, it looks like you could modify the side to secure one there.

I figure I can lash an axe to something on the backpack, would have preferred a pocket to drop the head into though. The barrels (have a couple) are 30 litres. With one in the pack, it's actually not that bad on the back. I don't really encounter portages much and the ones I do are not that long. I think i'd sooner use a slightly uncomfortable pack then the usual carry of the barrel by hand which creates pain in it's own way.

Nice looking pack. I like it.
First things first, I would only use it as a barrel harness if I could add a flat cushioned pad to protect my back from the slightly bulging barrel. Lacking a sternum and hip belt wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, as long as the pack doesn't get too heavy.
Secondly, what do you carry in those other bags? Are they at all compressible? There are crush sacks available to keep the contents both compressed and dry. You might be able to rearrange the gear and fit more this way. That 30L Sealline looks nice.

The two bag I have are somewhat compressable I'd guess, typical fold the top opening and squeez out the air. Not a true compression sac though. Typically carry spare clothes in the sealine and haven't had need to use the green bag. My packing will all change this year anyway as I built a wanigan for kitchen junk and my two boys will be tagging along for most trips so i'm packing for 3 now.

I have a very similar pack. I use it mainly for winter though. I find it too heavy for summer travel if that makes sense.

I never really thought about the weight, but you're right it is a tad heavy. I've never actually seen a "real" canoe pack but I'm guessing that the waxed canvas would likely be lighter and a bit more comfortable. I'll treat myself to a real Duluth pack some day, but at a fraction of the price this army bag will give me an idea if a bag suits me or not.

I had a smaller version of that type of pack that I used for years as a front carry pack. Worked great and lasted a long time, I do agree that it was a little heavy for it's size but it worked. I do have a couple of duluth packs and they are lighter but mine are not waxed.

Back