• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Couple axe questions

Reaction score
Notice many here are big into axes. Maybe you can answer a couple questions.
I have a few axes all for various uses. I picked up an old Walters Black Diamond axe last year, figured I'd sell it but liked it so much I kept it and sold my big box store junk of similar size.

IMG_0256

The Walters has it's original handle that's fine but the head gets a little loose if I put the axe to any real work. I'd like to replace the handle soon but not sure which handle to get for replacement. Checked local stores but most had only big chunky handles, nothing in the lines of the original. Any recommendations? May just attempt to make one myself if need be.

I'd also like it to be a couple inches shorter for packing purposes... would this create a serious issue? I don't split much wood with it, mostly used for camp chores and branch removal on firewood.

Final question, thinking a making a couple of sheath, one for the Walters and one for the Sandvik hatchet. What kind of leather do you normally order for this kind of project?

Photo also shows an old Solingen boy scout knife that I've taken on most of my trips over the years, not much of a camp knife so my plans are to pic up a Mora pro C

IMG_0257

IMG_0258

Thanks

JP

Thank Guys, No work today so I've decided to tackle making my own handle. If the handle doesn't turn out, I can always burn it :)

The Walters has it's original handle that's fine but the head gets a little loose if I put the axe to any real work. I'd like to replace the handle soon but not sure which handle to get for replacement. Checked local stores but most had only big chunky handles, nothing in the lines of the original. Any recommendations? May just attempt to make one myself if need be.

As a becoming more practiced novice at hanging an axe on a new handle I’ll offer a few thoughts.

I would much prefer to purchase a replacement handle in a brick and mortar store, with the axe head in hand. Finding a store that carries much of a selection in the way of axe handles can be a challenge. I’ve had good luck in rural/farm country hardware stores and even feed & seed stores.

Look for a handle with straight grain that runs “vertically” along the length, with no run out or discoloration. You can check the grain orientation by looking at the butt end of the handle. And check the dimensions of the throat against your eye; I’ve found significant variation even between “identical” handles.

You may find both waxed and varnished handles available. I prefer the former so I can strip off the wax, sand the handle a bit and oil it (or stain and varnish it myself).

My experience in shaping the throat of the handle to fit the eye may be atypical; I’ve hung two antiques and one Aussie-made axe and each of them required considerable custom shaping to fit in the eye. Even with a selection of handles to pick from the closest fit was still a ways off.

That custom shaping is best done, slowly, carefully, incrementally. If you take a little off the handle were initially needed, seat the handle in the eye until tight and tap it back off you’ll see scuff/black marks where the fit is too tight. It may only go in only an inch or two at first. Take those scuffed areas down, slowly, incrementally, and repeat. And repeat and repeat. And repeat.

Kind of a measure twice cut once deal, you can always rasp/file/sand a little more off, but you can’t put it back on.

Getting a good fit on the handle seems to me the trickiest and most time consuming part.

Back