• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Wax canvas.

Reaction score
I would like to know where in Canada can some one buy good quality wax canvas, something like Frostriver uses for there packs??

With the way our dollar is going, I don't think I will be able to buy anything coming from the USA any time soon. And I would like to have a canoe pack like a old #7 or some thing like that, so I'm think I could make one!

Thank you

I use mink oil and beeswax-app(6 to 1)on my primitive cloth and leather stuff for waterproofing. I melt them together,heat the object to be waterproofed,and brush it on. The first time takes several applications. On something like a pack I use less beeswax for more flexibility. It helps if you melt it in with a heat gun or hot sun. Works great and only needs occasional refreshing.
Turtle

Years ago I had a very hard time sourcing quality waxed canvas fabric here in Canada. Ended giving up the search and just refurbished a regular old (non waxed) woods canvas pack.

You might try Calgary Tent and Awning. They were one of the folks I contacted back then but they had no stock at the time. They mentioned (and still list) traditional waxed canvas on their website (link here) under the "waterproofed canvas" header. It is 10z. wax duck. You'll need to contact them for prices. If they don't have any then you might try another tent and awning business.

Many manufacturers of waxed canvas goods, including Frost River Packs, seem to be using the Martexin brand of waxed canvas fabrics from Fairfield Textiles (based out of New Jersey). Costs are high and I don't know if there is an import duty into Canada.

Good luck in your search and hope you post pics of your pack construction for us to enjoy.

If you don't care about it being waxed,you can spray Canvac (Canvak?) waterproofing on the canvas-works great also. Hard to find though.
Turtle

Thank you guys for the info. I'm not into making my own wax canvas. And some time, really seldom, it sucks to live up here(Canada) especially when our dollar is at 80 cents for a US dollar.... I will see what I can find. And if I do make a pack I will take a lot of pictures and post them here for sure!!
Cheers

Hi Canotrouge. Years ago I bought some Filson waxed canvas paste from Chaltrek here in Thunder Bay. They are a Canadian Filson dealer. Website with contact info: http://www.chaltrek.com/

Thank you HOOP, is the stuff you got the stuff to re-oiled, there oiled garment? If so I have a bunch of those tins.... But again, I'm not into waxing or oiling my own canvas... But if I don't find anything, I might just have to!!
Cheers

Thank you HOOP, is the stuff you got the stuff to re-oiled, there oiled garment? If so I have a bunch of those tins.... But again, I'm not into waxing or oiling my own canvas... But if I don't find anything, I might just have to!!
Cheers
Hi Canotrouge. Yes it was the tins for re-waxing canvas garments. If you were looking for a product to paint onto wax canvas tents or tarps, then the tins are no good of course, too expensive, too greasy.

Cabela's US sells Canvak: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Canvak/744767.uts Unfortunately Cabelas Canada does not sell it! :mad:

The other option if you want to mimic the Frost River look might be to purchase some tan coloured canvas and then treat, like with Hoop's Canvak suggestion. I've had good luck using Nikwax Cotton Proof on some canvas gear. You could prewash the canvas fabric before you start stitching up your pack and get a decent result or apply afterward. Should be easy to find in Canada. I've seen it on Amazon.ca and in Mountain Co op stores.

Here's a vid

dang Murat, why didn't I think of that... I use to work in an outdoor store up here and use to sell that stuff... That might change the game plan... But still have to find good canvas....

Hoop thank you for the suggestion on the Canvak product... Like I said, some time it's no fun to live in Canada when it coms to product, especially "raw" material, availability!!

First thing first, I need to get rid of that bad tendonitis to my elbow, catch up on a few commission piece, and then I can get to that stuff!!

Cheers

Back