• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

homemade canvas bags

Reaction score
Nothing too groundbreaking here but I wanted to make some natural material bags for my wannigan. I made these from canvas and waterproofed with beeswax.

Attachments

• photo1191.jpg
    photo1191.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 1
I'd appreciate some how to hints. I knit market bags as our store gives you money for bringing your own bags. Sure you can buy them but if one has a supply of canvas it would be worth learning about. My knitted bags are too stretchy for canned goods and dense items.

They look good, so what is your source of canvas, what should I look for? did you have a pattern, I really like the idea of making canvas bags for gear for my wall tent outfit, maybe even summer tripping outfit. I have the sewing machine too. Beeswax instructions?

Finally, how did you make and apply the claw/paw prints.

Thanks

I bought a sheet of canvas for some previous project. (painters drop cloth canvas) at Canadian Tire, home depot has same thing. just cut out a square folded in half and sewed one side and the bottom. I sewed it twice for added strength. as for the beeswax part I just used a beeswax candle and warmed it up on another candle and rubbed it into the bag. pretty easy project.

Robin, as for the bear prints it was just drawn on with a pencil and then filled over with a marker. the beeswax went over top of it. not sure of the longevity of the print but its there for now

This is one of those projects where you just slap yourself aside the head and say" why didn't I think of that". Usually when those projects happen there is lots of money involved and a simple idea.

But in this case a simple traditional idea that will bring us back to the years of recycle repurpose reuse. Robin what did you do with your scraps of canvas when you downsized the tent? If you have extra don't throw out..
You too Christy and Karin!

Opps, I tossed the scrap canvas when I downsized the tent, but I have one of those canvas painters tarps from Home Depot that I never use. Sounds easy enough, I wonder if cowhide for string would add to the nice look?
I use colored nylon bags now and these will be a big improvement. I think a pair of crossed beavertail paddles will be a nice logo on the bags.

This is a great idea! I believe I have the skills to make the bag but for the life of me I can't figure how to get the bear to stand on the stamp pad and then step on the bag just so. Of course if you wound up getting eaten it would make for a interesting tomb-stone.

A good sturdy bag like that could easily be washed clean again, I'm often worried trying to wash some of the stuff bags made of nylon.

Thanks for the idea!

Best Wishes, Rob

Don't know if this matters for making these type of bags but you might want to hot wash/dry the canvas before making your bags. This should eliminate any shrinkage later on and also tighten up the weave; which could make them a bit more water resistant.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Back