• Happy Scream Day! 😱

A short video of my Snow and Nealley Hudson Bay ax

Hi Robin,
Was your S+N made before they moved the production to China? I bought one a couple of years ago and the grain on the handle is 90 degrees from where it should be.
Dave

Great video, thanks Robin. Nice looking axe. I went to a Snow & Neally review by Maine Guide to see more of it in action. I'd never heard of S&N before now. We haven't tripped for 3 years (life gets in the way), so I haven't had much cause to swing an axe. The revival of the axe thread here also revived my interest in considering another axe, maybe a forest type. Thanks for sharing.

You mentioned Mike Hurley gave you the axe. He is a gifted writer, and Hurley's Journal was a favorite. His compendium book "Letters from the Woods, Looking at life Through the Window of Wilderness" is a little-known gem, one of my all-time favorites. Wish I had met him back in the day when he was into canoe tripping. He has to be a funny, witty guy and a pleasure to trip with. His other book, "Once upon a Gypsy Moon," about sailing adventures, is also a good read, as is his lamentations on the imminent death of literary fiction, in a recent blog entry. As I said, a gifted, gifted writer.

Nice video Robin, my wife gave me a S&N 2-1/4 lb Single Bit for xmas a few years back, mine has good grain orientation. I did have to add a strap around the poll to keep the sheath on. [h=2][/h]

Hi Robin,
Was your S+N made before they moved the production to China? I bought one a couple of years ago and the grain on the handle is 90 degrees from where it should be.
Dave
Yes, this is a Maine made Ax, I have heard their quailty has gone downhill but I'm happy with mine.

You mentioned Mike Hurley gave you the axe. He is a gifted writer, and Hurley's Journal was a favorite. His compendium book "Letters from the Woods, Looking at life Through the Window of Wilderness" is a little-known gem, one of my all-time favorites. Wish I had met him back in the day when he was into canoe tripping. He has to be a funny, witty guy and a pleasure to trip with. His other book, "Once upon a Gypsy Moon," about sailing adventures, is also a good read, as is his lamentations on the imminent death of literary fiction, in a recent blog entry. As I said, a gifted, gifted writer.
Mike is a good guy, we went on a few trips together, ADK's, Quebec, Temaggami, Delaware River. He needed to make it interesting for the Journal, so he took a ton of gear, but he knew how to get it done and was a good companion on the trail. His son Kip was also a nice addition on the trips.
I was an infantry squad leader in Viet Nam and we spent more than a few late evenings around the fire talking about it. He asked alot of questions, he's a lawyer and writer and after a while I got the feeling he would have liked to have been an infantry officer there. He probably would have made a good officer, maybe too good for his own good.
After that trip in Quebec I can still picture him and his son walking up to my truck with the ax in his hand. He told me he wanted me to have his ax, then his son hugged my leg cause he was pretty small at the time, pretty emotional moment all around. I cherish that ax to this day.

All these axe threads got me thinking about a forest axe. The short handled hatchet I use isn't much good for chopping. I mainly use it to split < 4" wood by placing it on the wood and beating it on the head with another piece of wood. Although it works OK for limbing small stuff, I would say that it was pretty useless in clearing chores.

Robin, I love the scene in the video at 1:50 where the canoe and tent are both in the back ground. Although your first efforts were good, you're getting better at setting up shots all the time. Keep up the good work. And thanks again for giving us all a place to hang out. Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Robin, I'm really enjoying the videos. As a displaced New Englander it's a nice taste of home. I really like the Hudson Bay style axe and usually use it to split wood by hitting in down along the bark side of the wood rather than the end grain. Still talking <4inch pieces.

Back