• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Any reviews on this axe?

Reaction score
I figured with the "who still brings axes" thread I could ask the following question;

Do any of you have experience with a Husqvarna multi-purpose axe? It is hand forged but half the price of a Council tool or GFB axe. It has a 26 inch hickory handle. I am thinking of getting one for my solo trips to the back country. If you have any experience with I would surely welcome your thoughts.

Bob.

If it didn't have Husqvarna stamped on it I would have said it was a GB. Sure looks a lot like my GB SFA.

Personally I'd go for a GB though. From what I know it seems like a great company worth supporting. Nothing against Husqvarna of course. I'm always surprised when I go to forums with lots of axe people and hear them complain about the price of GB axes. I'm used to having things like photography and canoeing as hobbies so I look at top of the line stuff for $150 as being a true bargain.

I picked up a Snow and Neally hatchet once because I wanted one now and they had it in the store. Not that it's not a good hatchet but I should have put the money towards another GB.

Alan

Last year I bought the Husqvarna multi-purpose axe and splitting maul. I was looking for a mid size axe to replace my hudson bay style axe for canoe trips with the multi-purpose axe. Supposedly, Husqvarna has them made by GB or Wetterlings and the quality of the axe confirms this to me. I love the axe and it's always with me if I'm out cutting wood because it's such a great limbing axe. In my opinion the shape/grind of the head is too concave to make a good splitting axe for trips. I think you would spend a lot of time and frustration trying to free the axe from being stuck deep in pieces you were trying to split. If you are only splitting small pieces with around a 3 or 4 inch diameter because you're on a solo trip and having a small fire or using a small can fire it would probably work well. I love the axe, the quality is superb and the price is excellent, but for a tripping axe my preference is something with a little more wedge shape to the blade to making splitting easier. I highly recommend the axe and for the price you could buy the Husqvarna and still pick up another axe that may be better for trips for the same price as the GB small forrest axe. I used the hudson bay axe for the past 17 years on trips, but I think this year I'm going to go for a bigger axe on trips. I just picked up an old Snow and Neally 3 1/2 lbs head to hang for a winter project.

No Title

More photos

Attachments

• photo1169.jpg
    photo1169.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1170.jpg
    photo1170.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The head shape looks similar to my GB sweedish forest axe and I would agree that it's not much for splitting. I've taken on long trips where I do some car camping and broke the handle trying to split some larger rounds with it. It has such a fine entry that it can partially split the round and bury itself very deep with little resistance. But the round doesn't completely split so the first thing to stop the momentum is the handle hitting the wood.

If they're coming from GB I don't know what type of handle they have but I don't really like the handle on my SFA. It's too narrow of an oval for my tastes, the curve is too sharp. Feels fine until you really start using it hard and then my fingers start to ache between the palm and the first knuckle where they rest on the shaft. The shafts of my GB splitting axes feel perfect though.

Alan

I haven't held the GB small forrest axe, but the oval on handle on the Husqvarna feels big for my hands. So big I considered taking down some of the thickness with a belt sander or spoke shave. Maybe that indicates Wetterlings?

I haven't held the GB small forrest axe, but the oval on handle on the Husqvarna feels big for my hands. So big I considered taking down some of the thickness with a belt sander or spoke shave. Maybe that indicates Wetterlings?

What is your build if you don't mind me asking. I'm also interested in this axe and I think Bob and I are similar size. Dave

I could just be that I have smaller hands. It maybe isn't the oval that is too long, but that the width/thickness of the handle is bigger than larger axes I own, including the husqvarna splitting maul. I'll try to take a picture to show the comparison.

Hi Bob, I bought the Husquvarna carpenter hatchet and put a 26" handle on it. There was nothing wrong with the issue handle, just wanted it longer. Quality was/is outstanding. It's true the thin heads will get stuck much quicker than a splitting maul. But then they chop so much better.
For my money, I go with the ability to chop and make simple wedges on the site to aid in splitting. After splitting they become firewood too.
I see that your "multi-Purpose axe" is selling this morning from Bailey's for seventy dollars. The closest Gransfor Bruck is one hundred twenty and the Wetterling's is one hundred thirty.
I very much doubt that there is a hill of beans difference between them except for the price.

I don't believe I'd ask any axe to pound in a steel wedge for splitting, that's just too much stress on the eye. But I do use wooden wedges (which get pretty beat up) all the time. All three of those axes have a nice surface to pound with which is a great idea.

Looking at the three axes, the Husqvarna has the straightest handle which is something I fancy, maybe not so with you.

Best Wishes, Rob

I'm not worried about sticking the head so much in my case. With my back as it is I won't be dragging big stuff back to be sawed and split. I like 4" and down for fire wood. Should be able to tap split that with out getting stuck. I am curious about the handle cross section now.

I'd bet you a nickle that any of those three will have a handle that fits just fine. After all, they all sell to the masses and you'd have to be really big or little to where there might be a problem.
Oh maybe, if we were woodcutters who did it all day, day after day, we probably would develop a preference in some direction.

I suspect that direction might be towards presto-logs! :p:p

Rob

No Title

photo1190.jpg photo1189.jpg Hope this helps a little with the sizing question on the handle. It's about the same size as the splitting maul, but not any bigger. I love the axe and I don't think you would regret the purchase. 1st picture is Multi Purpose axe on left, Hudson Bay axe on right. 2nd picture Multi Purpose on left, splitting maul on right.

Attachments

• HMPA vs HSM.jpg
    HMPA vs HSM.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Don't know where Bob went but I think I'll have a go at this axe. If I don't like the handle I'll fix or replace it.

I think you'll like it. The handle is high quality and nice. I just brought up the width as a personal critique. I won't be modifying my original handle. It may be perfect for your hand.

Hey Rippy, I will try to post picks latter this week ... the axe looks to be a gem! ;)

I am loving it so far and have not use it yet. It is a hand forged head and I love the handle - I will wager you would like the handle/grip in your hands as well. We are getting some snow just now. If it sticks perhaps I can get some timber shots this weekend with a snow background.

It is not as sharp as other of this quality, but I believe that would not be hard to achieve if one wanted to.

Bob.

It is not as sharp as other of this quality, but I believe that would not be hard to achieve if one wanted to.
Bob.

I believe I can make that happen. Thanks Bob for starting this thread and rekindling my interest in a forest axe.

Rippy, here are my pics. As you can see they are just like Chingatchgook's pictures. I like the feel of the axe in my hands and I bleieve it will be a welcomed tool on my longer solo trips to the back country. Honestly, for the money I think this is a marvelous tool. Rob, I do like the handle a lot. I guess now time will tell how well I like it by how much I use it.

eIOfByX.jpg

rpi6jcj.jpg

KQXTYxY.jpg

RlAzRFM.jpg

The last picture did not turn out too well, sorry.

Bob.

Back