• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Wheeled chair in the shop

Reaction score
I have always been a stool guy, preferring to have my buttocks firmly planted on a stationary seat. Some time ago, there was discussion here, I believe it was Mike, who touted the virtues of a wheeled office chair in the shop. I think he used the word weee to describe ease of mobility about a project. An image of McCrea, freewheeling around a canoe popped to mind when just such a chair presented itself from a dumpster, I was compelled to give it a go.

I opted for a Ted Moores style, box beam strongback for my canoe builds. The 12 inch x 16 foot bench has proven a valuable asset in my shop. I use it for all sorts of projects, the long, low bench has remained in the shop years after the last stripper went out the door. Paired with my new chair I have become exceedingly more efficient at the many tasks I perform at the strongback.

I was laying out screw and scupper holes on a pair of 18' inwales last night. In the predumpster days, I'd have to stand up, kick the stool down the line and reposition myself several times. Dag-nab-it!!... Left the layout square over on the table saw… no problem, shove off and like the littlest piggy on his way home, the needed tool is in hand. Thanks for the tip Mike.

But did you shout “Weeee!” and you flung your seated arse from bench to saw?

With practice you can accomplish a flying half pivot between work spaces, so you are facing in the correct direction when you arrive at your destination.

There is a scene in the movie “Witness” in which the Amish grandfather does that is his wheeled kitchen chair, flinging himself between breakfast table and stove and back.

Witness is one of my all time favorite movies... Great, now I'll be thinking about Kelly McGillis taking a sponge bath all day.

You watch Gramps gliding around in his chair for inspiration. I’ll watch Kelly McGillis taking a sponge bath and we’ll compare notes.

The other killer improvement in the shop is having a couple of those magnetic tool bars attached to the front of narrow shelves at the work bench wall. Shelves built out several inches from the wall, faced with magnet bars in easy arm’s (seated) reach, holding the 20 tools I use most every day at the bench. Easy to grab and, more important, easy to put back when done

I made that same weeee noise when I saw McGillis’ sponge bath cleavage.

I was thinking more along these lines!

Oh heck yeah, that looks design comfy, and drive-wheel maneuverable.

Where does one find a cheap used wheelchair? Take the arms off for better bench proximity and Pop-a-wheelie your way around the shop from bench to boat. Not just "Weeee",but Weeee-hah!

The East German judge still gave you a 6.5.