• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Need help ID freebi!

Reaction score
Picked up a freebi near me. ID on serial number indicates a Mad River 91 LX model.
It's a bit over 18ft long and probably 36" wide. It was stored like a kayak on its side and the gunnels are rotted all over. I took out the loose screws and thwarts, washed it up and just started to think about it. I'm guessing it's a royalex shell, looks a bit lit the Indian's shell before he fixed it up (he lives near me)
Also has an angle down the middle which probably acts as a keel. Guessing a nice large flat water canoe, hmmm maybe what I was looking for next year on the Allagash?
Opinions wanted on what this is. Thanks CF

I hope Robin doesn't see this because I have the Chestnut in his barn waiting for that to get fixed first :)
Hmmm, now how to fit a 18ft canoe in a 17ft space in garage?

Attachments

• photo7789.jpg
    photo7789.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo7790.jpg
    photo7790.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 4
  • photo7791.jpg
    photo7791.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo7792.jpg
    photo7792.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 4
No Title

Maybe it's fiberglass with Kevlar reinforced bottom (gray area)?

Attachments

• photo7793.jpg
    photo7793.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7794.jpg
    photo7794.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 0
Your photos are so tiny that I can't see detail.

It should be easy to identify Royalex vs. a composite. Between the inwale and outwale sandwich, you can see the Royalex lamination of inside vinyl (typically gray), black ABS, whitish ABS foam, black ABS, and outside vinyl (some color). A composite hull edge will just look like one thin layer of material. Composite hulls might be painted gray on the floor patch.

Mad River had an 18-6 TW Special and an 18-2 Lamoille, but I don't think either was ever made in Royalex and don't think the TW Special was made in 1991. I don't recall the names of other 18' Mad Rivers. Here's a complete MR list, but it doesn't have dimensions in most cases:

https://www.madrivercanoe.com/us/sit...%20History.pdf

Last edited:
Wow, pics are tiny, that's weird. I took them with the phone thinking it was easier to upload. Guess that didn't work.

Glenn, according to your information it's not royalex. It's a very thin material so it must be composite. I will check out your link, thanks. It looks so much longer without the thwarts. Thanks

Gee, how can I enlarge those pics?

I looked at that list and your correct, it's difficult to figure it out.

Glenn, I searched Lamoille and it looks exactly like that. Sliding bow seat, the width is a lot narrower than I measured (33"). I guess the flex without the gunnels made it seem like 36" I'm not to sure of the weight but picking it up on the end I'm guessing it to be in the mid 50's-60's range. I was hoping it was royalex for those bumpy paddles. I bought a used Souris River 17' kevlar/epoxy a few years ago for myself plus my wife. The weight is great in the mid 40's. Not to sure what I'm going to do with this boat now. Will wait it out and listen to others. Thanks.

Definitely composite, but thats the only thing I can identify with such small picture, other than it need a bit of work lol

According to a PBlanc post from 2011 (he probably has the old catalogs), the Mad River Lamoille is: length 18' 2", gunwale width 33", waterline width 33", center depth 15", height at ends 21.5"/17.5", weight 78 lbs fiberglass, 65 lbs vacuum bagged kevlar/fiberglass hybrid.

A 1996 Lamoille from the bwca.com forum:

H8WEAKNESS-020612-053217.JPG

There was also a Kevlar-Airex version with foam ribs at about 58 lbs. This picture may be that construction as it appears to have ribs.

Last edited:
Thank you Glenn, it must be the kevlar/fiberglass model the weight feels closer to the 60's than the 80's. I saw that one and a green one when researching last night. I will contact a few friends to see if they are interested, I just saw it was free and went to rescue it before it went to the town dump and got crushed. I would have liked to have tripped in it but most of my friends are paddling solo.

Mad River had an 18-6 TW Special and an 18-2 Lamoille, but I don't think either was ever made in Royalex and don't think the TW Special was made in 1991.

Glenn, thank you for a different reason.

DougD and I were discussing the TW Special and other (?) 18+ foot Mad River canoes. The Lamoille was on the tip of my tongue but I could not remember the name.

MRC made an 18 foot Horizon model in the late 90’s, and a 21 foot Grand Laker (a boat I lust after) in the mid-80’s.

Back