No announcement yet.

Spirit II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spent about 5 hours yesterday, cleaning the boat and tending (power buffer) to the faded gel coat. Heavy cutter followed by a good polish did the trick. 3M wax gave that little extra shine and UV durability. The photo shows the result...

In the afternoon we took the boat out on a local lake for a spin. Aside from the weight, my wife and daughter agreed with me that it was a joy to paddle.
    Just my $0.02 (minus inflation)

Comment

Looks great. Nice work!

Alan

Comment

NICE HAT! and the canoe looks good too.

Comment

I had the Spirit II out for a solo trip yesterday. It will not be my preferred solo tripper, but I sometimes like heeling a tandem and using it solo. I don't know why, but that, more or less born out of necessity, traditional paddle style has something.

Anyhow, I could not really find a comfortable kneeling position due to the cross ribs in this boat, and sitting in the stern tractor seat makes me pop a wheelie. Wenonah stopped making boats with those ribs and went to a flex core system. However, mine has the ribs, and they are spaced such that no matter wher I kneel, a knee or shin always end up on a rib somehow. You can imagine how comfortable that is.

I finally ended up using my stuffed dry bag as a kneeling pedestal, which took most of my weight off my legs. Still, any paddling over 30 minutes would be impossible that way.

I am thinking of either cutting one rib out all together and creating a flat spot to kneel in, with my back side resting on a kneeling thwart, or filling the space between two ribs with foam or something, also to create a flat spot.

Any suggestions you guys can think of...other than just using the boat for it's intended use?

Comment

We borrowed a spirit two from Memaquay this summer. Yes it is a nice dry boat, but rather unwieldy. We christened it the party barge. I was actually soloing it a bit to fish at night and had no problems but it was dead slow speed for trolling and in the river with no wind so not much of a test really. Take the tractor seats out and put regular ones in and then you can go backwards from the front seat.

Christy

Comment

The ribs are there to add stiffness to the floor. If they are not there the floor is weaker and may oilcan and at worst may collapse under you. Do you use a kneeling pad? Its masochistic not to.

Comment

It's a good tripper for two people. I've had it through every condition imaginable, and have run rapids up to class 3. However, it wouldn't be my choice for a solo.

Comment

"Take the tractor seats out and put regular ones in and then you can go backwards from the front seat."
                  Christy[/QUOTE]

Yup. That would certainly be easier than surgery on the boat. Good suggestion.

Originally posted by yellowcanoe View Post
                  The ribs are there to add stiffness to the floor. If they are not there the floor is weaker and may oilcan and at worst may collapse under you. Do you use a kneeling pad? Its masochistic not to.
                  Yes. I use a kneeling mat, but it isn't thick enough to make kneeling on one of those ribs comfortable for more than a minute.
                  I thin I might just drop the idea of using the S-II for anything else than tandem use. Paddling from the stern seat, there is a flat spot for kneeling

Comment

I am kind of old and never kneel...just not possible for me. So what I do is lower my seats an inch or two to make to canoe more stable...lower center of gravity. That might help too, if you eliminate the need/desire to kneel.

Yes that is a great boat Mem. We were back in the Mattawa this weekend and it sure felt twitchy compared to the Spirit two. It took a bit to get used to it again

Comment

I like those tractor seats. Leave the stern seat intact and replace the bow seat with a web or cane seat if you want to paddle solo from there. There is a 3" difference in bow/stern heights so that will effect handing in wind when paddled that way.
                      Have fun with it. I like the Spirit !!.
                      Regards,
                      Dave

Comment

Attach the front seat directly to the sides, it will act as a thwart the few times you solo in it.

And make the thwart removable.
                        Last edited by sweeper; 10-13-2015, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Always keep acetone around.
                          I just repaired an OT Canadienne from 1989. It was faded, scraped up and needed repairs in 3 places. After some repair and sanding I painted it with Rustoleum topsides enamel. It looks like a new boat.
                          Forester

Comment

I missed this site. Glad it's back up.

I've had a 44 lb (kevlar 49) Spirit II for 15 years. It is a terrific tandem for lots of gear and fishing. I seriously love the design for mostly sit and switch with a load. I do not have the skills to comfortably solo it in any kind of wind, absent a boat-load of ballast, and even then, ...

In August, my cousin and I did 6 nights on Lake Lila with it. I will post a trip report when: My cousin sends me the pics he took; and 2) when the weather turns non-paddling friendly.

Comment

Working...
                            X