• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Solo in September minus the elegance of my youth.

Reaction score
https://youtu.be/ch5MBdsW5bU

As I age (80 years old now) the lack of strength and elegance is quite apparent in this short video (under 3 minutes). I now only kneel in rough weather and am now sitting more often.

At the very end on the video I have some footage of my “safety seat” which makes me less vulnerable to trapping when kneeling in case of an upset.

The particular canoe lift I do is in order to spare my right shoulder which is impinged. The canoe and it’s floor padding rests on my head and I’m good for a couple hundred yards at a time while portaging with this technique. However the Argosy is getting somewhat heavy for my age.

Hope some of you enjoy this..

Gerald

Last edited:
What a beautiful September paddle. And I liked seeing you dip and sip from the lake. That is a very clever idea for the seat! You show 80 years of both skill and elegance, both of which are much appreciated. Thanks for this Gerald.

You Got it Gerald !

I'll just echo the seat Idea ! Great ingenuity !

Oh I signed on to your Youtube Channel !

Jim

that was great Gerald, you're out there getting after it solo tripping at 80. You're an inspiration. I can only hope to have your level of elegance at that age, assuming I even get that far.

deerfly,

I hope we all have many years left. I did some cheating this year with a brand new Mondioking mattress from Thermarest. Slept like a log from dusk to dawn. Fun to wake up with less pain in the old body. A little more work portaging but well worth it.

Gerald

Respect Sir! I enjoyed that video!! Hope I do as good as you when I'm getting your age!!

Nicely done and congratulations on still getting out there. And solo too, a real achievement.

Maybe consider lightening that pack before seeking out a lighter canoe. Take a look at the Sea to Summit Etherlight mattress, Less than 20 oz. but still 4" thick.

You sir, are a rock star. Ya look pretty nimble for your age.That is a lovely trip ...now you have me jonesing for a quickk little sneak off kind of trip too.

Back