Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solo in September minus the elegance of my youth.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lowangle said:
    I am also a believer in " use it or lose" in all things. At least that's what I tell my wife.
    Tried that but it does not seem to work for me, haha.

Gerald

Comment

I didn't say it works for me. Sometimes I need to request an "equipment check" as a last resort, but that doesn't work either.

Comment

Gerald, I think your level of elegance casts a shadow over that of any youth's that I've seen. Très impressionnant, mon grand – vous êtes un inspiration.

Comment

Living proof that days spent outdoors are not subtracted from our allocated lifetime.

Thanks for that Gerald. And here I am whining at age 55 over a 50lb boat.
          Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you. John Muir

Comment

I toast a glass of lakewater to those of the greatest generation...SKOL

Comment

mwaalen said:
              I toast a glass of lakewater to those of the greatest generation...SKOL
              I don't know about the greatest generation but am sure about the luckiest generation when it came to available virgin wilderness to canoe, explore and travel. In the early days of my wilderness travels a tandem team could paddle 20 miles a day for 3 weeks without any sign of civilization except for a few fly-in fish camps and all this available just 5 hours north of Montreal. Today that area has been logged to the ground and the forestry roads are everywhere. The younger generations have had to stick to parks for canoeing adventure or pay prohibitive prices and go to the arctic. I was lucky that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald View Post
                mwaalen said:

I don't know about the greatest generation but am sure about the luckiest generation when it came to available virgin wilderness to canoe, explore and travel. In the early days of my wilderness travels a tandem team could paddle 20 miles a day for 3 weeks without any sign of civilization except for a few fly-in fish camps and all this available just 5 hours north of Montreal. Today that area has been logged to the ground and the forestry roads are everywhere. The younger generations have had to stick to parks for canoeing adventure or pay prohibitive prices and go to the arctic. I was lucky that way.
                Gerald - we used to have a hunting/fishing camp between Lac Moyre and Lac Villier, south of Castelveyre. Perhaps you know the area?

Comment

scratchypants said
                  Gerald - we used to have a hunting/fishing camp between Lac Moyre and Lac Villier, south of Castelveyre. Perhaps you know the area?
                  I do not know that area but I do know that it is situated South/East of where we mostly paddled. I, sometimes with my wife, paddled the area from the Senneterre/LaTuque rail line north through various waterways and finish at either Waswanipi or Chibougamou. We would take the evening train leaving Senneterre at super time going East to LaTuque. Around midnight we had the train stop at the Kekek River bridge and unload canoe and gear. We took the Kekek north to the Megiscane River and from there had a variety of possible routes north most of which would take 3 to 4 weeks.

Comment

Still have not figured out the selective quoting feature so to clarify my initial comment on "greatest generation" it could've been insulting as I'm off a generation there. Good thing we all have canoes to re-set our soul's clock. Or better yet, unravel time all together...

Comment

Working...
                    X