• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

What should this cost?

Reaction score
F8A2B297-F1F3-4E82-8E7E-5AEC3D88F240.png T

his boat is on Facebook near me for 650. I’m just getting into canoes. What’s a good price

Al,

i would pay that unless there’s major structural damage. Can’t see the outfitting well enough to determine what kind of bargain it is. I would try it before you buy it unless you know for sure you are going to start paddling white water. I have one you can try anytime so you know what you’re in for. That boat wants to roll over and will just from a misplaced paddle stroke. Pm me and I can meet you somewhere between your place and Altoona and bring a change of clothes.

awesome boat for what it’s designed for.

cheers,

barry

Al,

.... That boat wants to roll over and will just from a misplaced paddle stroke

awesome boat for what it’s designed for.

cheers,

barry
Good to know! Sounds like it be better suited for a expert paddler

Al, If you're serious about white water canoeing that boat is as good a place to start. you wont grow out of it. I can't tell if it is an Outrage or Outrage X. Mine is Outrage X the bigger version. These aren't for storing a lot of gear and paddling the J. More for the Stony and Upper or lower Yough locally. This is me in a similar Bell Prodigy around 2000 on the Ottawa River.

IMGP1420.jpeg

If that Outrage is in good condition with decent outfitting $650 is a very fair price for a well regarded WW canoe.

As far as “What should this cost?” my general rule of thumb, for a used boat in good condition, one I want to own and keep, is 2/3 of the original retail cost, and maybe 1/3 the cost of any good quality outfitting or accessories. More of course for some unicorn rarity that I really, really want and waited years to find.

Out of curiosity I look up a couple MSRP’s for the Outrage (not X)
1995 (first year of production) - $829 to $969
2003 - $849 - $1099

The $650 price is right in that ballpark, even without any outfitting value. A well executed saddle and (not shown) properly sized float bags with decent cage/D-rings are worth another $100++, more for someone not outfitting handy.

Worth a look for anyone in central-PA ISO a WW solo.

Looks like an Outrage alright. Not much of a saddle and no bags. Around here, that price would be a little high - but canoes are kind of a buyer's market in my area - and especially whitewater canoes. Looks like they did lower the price to $600 though.

As a first whitewater solo, that one is pretty demanding, IMO. It taught me a lot in a short time, but I quickly moved to something a bit tamer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	On the Saint.jpg Views:	0 Size:	198.8 KB ID:	104249 Pretty sure that's an Outrage; not an Outrage X. I've owned and paddled both; I preferred the Outrage X which at 13 feet in length is one foot longer than the Outrage.
I believe the learning curve for a new whitewater canoe paddler is steeper in the Outrage.
The Outrage X is very manuverable, is more forgiving than the Outrage, and is also a better tracking boat.
Either boat can handle class 3+ water, if paddled by a skilled paddler. A highly skilled paddler could likely do come class 4.

$650.00 is, in my opinion, a very good price for an outfitted Outrage with a hull that is in nice condition.
There is a big IF to that.............
I can't tell much of anything about the outfitting of the boat in question.
Does it have airbags; will they hold air?
Is there a saddle in the boat, and what condition is it in?
Does the boat have knee pads, knee braces, and foot braces?
Outfitting a whitewater solo correctly, can easily cost several hundred dollars.
It boat in question is nicely outfitted, and hull of boat is in nice condtion; 650 bucks would be a steal of a deal, in my opinion.

Good luck.

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Last edited:
Very specialized canoe. It is for people with a lot of experience that paddle fast rivers or people that are newbies.

Back