• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Clipper Sea 1

Reaction score
I finally got my hands on a barely used one-owner Clipper Sea 1. You see, I'm a fan of the decked, solo expedition canoes. I have one of each of Verlen Kruger's production designs, the Sawyer Loon, Mad River Monarch, and Kruger Sea Wind. I have paddled each extensively, on trips to Quetico Provincial Park and in races/challenges like the MR340 and the Everglades Challenge. Having these three canoes is never enough. There are others out there that need to be owned...such as a Kruger Dreamcatcher, a Superior Expedition, and the Clipper Sea 1.

Understand I'm not advocating you go and buy a Clipper Sea 1 as an alternative to a Superior Expedition or a Kruger Sea Wind. I'm advocating you own them ALL. I'm a total supporter of these small boat builders and want to see them succeed.

So, for years I've been drooling over a Clipper Sea 1. A friend raced one in the Yukon Challenge and it treated him well. But I've never spoken to anyone who had significant experience in both a Kruger design boat and the Clipper. So I just had to get one and see for myself.

But first, let me tell you about the Kruger Sea Wind, so you know where I am coming from. I'm a Krugerhead. I love the boat. The Sea Wind is a joy to paddle. It is stable and comfortable. I've paddled the Sea Wind on very extended trips. One time, I paddled about 39 hours straight, with only a short break or two out of the boat, when doing the entire Everglades Wilderness Waterway. I encountered some severe conditions, and made it through just fine. I simply cannot understand why anyone would want an open canoe--when the Kruger is much more seaworthy, extremely comfortable, and so much more efficient to paddle with it's rudder. My buddies and I paddle in the BWCA and Quetico while other folks are windbound.

So, I was always interested in the Clipper which I will call the Canadian "take" on the decked expedition canoe. It is certainly NO copy of the Kruger design. So let me tell you how it is different.

First, the Kruger has a rounded hull. First time paddlers may find it "twitchy", but soon realize that there is a big difference between initial stability and secondary stability. You lean over in a Kruger and it firms up. You practically have to fall out of the canoe before you will capsize. That is a round bottom hull for you. The advantages of a round bottom hull really shine in it's seaworthiness. It is not affected by cross currents, boils, and weird water. Waves coming from any direction, no problem. It just floats over them. It won't broach in following seas. It doesn't rock and roll with waves from the sides. It rides horizontal up an over waves, rather than pitching you sideways as a flat bottom canoe would tend to do. I should say now, that I am very, very, dependent on the rudder to go in a straight line in the Kruger. With the rudder up, it does not want to go in a straight line. It starts to go in whatever direction, and wants to keep going. I hate corrective strokes. I hate sit and switch. I want to put down the power and go in a straight line. The Kruger is very efficient in doing so with its rudder.

However, my interest in a Clipper comes from my experience sailing a Kruger. With its rounded bottom and soft edges or chines, the Kruger just doesn't get tossed around. However, these same design elements do not bode well if you put a sail on it. You see, I put a 1M Falcon Sail on my Kruger for use in Class 1 Watertribe events (the Everglades Challenge in particular, a 300 mile race from Tampa to Key Largo). I found that without the benefit of a dagger board or leeboard, the boat will skate sideways with any wind not directly from aft. Sure, you can point in any direction you want by using the rudder and sail just fine. But you will realize you are skating sideways. The mast is about 15' from the rudder. It skates. So I'm just not that happy with it using a sail.

SO, the Clipper has a completely different hull. While the Kruger's genes contain elements of 3/27 canoe specs, the Clipper has sea kayak in its genes. It has a sharper bow and stern. I've heard it described as "hard chines" It also has a V bottom.

The Clipper tracks very straight. It goes in a straight line with or without a rudder. No rocker. It turns like the Titanic with its little Feathercraft rudder. This lends itself to use with a sail, I believe.

Jumping in the Clipper and paddling, it is amazing how a boat built so much different than a Kruger paddles so much the same, though! Sure it doesn't turn as well. But it is very much the same in speed and stability. It is virtually the same length and the same weight as the Kruger. (Mine both weigh 58 pounds). But the Clipper tracks straight. With less rudder input required, it may enjoy a slight speed advantage.

So a friend and I went paddling, he in my Sea Wind and me in the Sea 1. I weigh about 170 and he, about 220. We set up next to each other and I pushed the two boats apart. The Sea Wind went sideways noticeably further than the Clipper. The Clipper resists horizontal movement more so than the Sea Wind. Another example, I paddled the Sea 1 in slack water to the end of a wing dike on the river, where there was a lot of current at 90 degrees to my direction of paddling. When I hit it, the Clipper was affected by the cross current much more than the Sea Wind. Again, the rounded bottom just isn't affected by cross currents nearly as much as the Sea 1. The wind will also blow a stationary Sea Wind around on the water more than a Sea 1. Not because either hull is more streamlined, only because the Sea 1 hull is planted in the water more and resists sideways movement. So I've come to the conclusion that the Sea 1 will be a better hull for sailing without leeboards or daggerboards. Hence my interest.

Now, the Sea 1 does not have the slick three vertical position seat that flips over to form the most comfortable portage yoke you can imagine. The Sea 1 has a seat that slides forward or backward to adjust trim...perhaps the boat is more sensitive to trim than the Sea Wind, I don't know. You can adjust the Clipper seat to one of three heights, but it requires tools and time while the Sea Wind's seat can be adjusted, even on the fly. The Clipper does have a portage yoke you can install with bolts and wing nuts. But it isn't the same...I don't see bringing my Clipper to the Quetico where frequent portages are required. Also, it is just plain harder to grab the Clipper and throw it on your shoulders, because it doesn't have the cockpit rim like the Kruger.

Two very different boats, two very different purposes.

I can't wait to get my Falcon Sail rigged on the Clipper and see how she does. I also want to get into some serious weather and waves in the Clipper. I imagine it will be a much wetter ride without the use of the spray skirt, compared to the Kruger. But I do have it on some good authority that the Clipper can also handle any water conditions you throw at it. The Yukon river can get pretty rough! And that is the Clipper proving grounds.

More later...

Joe

However, my interest in a Clipper comes from my experience sailing a Kruger. With its rounded bottom and soft edges or chines, the Kruger just doesn't get tossed around. However, these same design elements do not bode well if you put a sail on it. You see, I put a 1M Falcon Sail on my Kruger for use in Class 1 Watertribe events (the Everglades Challenge in particular, a 300 mile race from Tampa to Key Largo). I found that without the benefit of a dagger board or leeboard, the boat will skate sideways with any wind not directly from aft. Sure, you can point in any direction you want by using the rudder and sail just fine. But you will realize you are skating sideways. The mast is about 15' from the rudder. It skates. So I'm just not that happy with it using a sail.

No doubt the harder tracking V-bottomed Sea-1 will skate sideways less than a rounded Sea Wind. Do any of the Watertribers use a lee board on the Kruger boats?

I never got the chance to try the Sea-1 with a sail rig. Back when we test paddled the Sea Wind, Sea-1, Loon and Rob Roy I did not have sails (and would not have installed them on loaner boats in any case). I did have a golf umbrella on that trip, and my companions had a hard time getting me out of the Sea-1 with that silly faux sail. I remember hearing a lot of “There’s that dang umbrella again”. Hearing it faintly, as I pulled away without paddling.

The Clipper tracks very straight. It goes in a straight line with or without a rudder. No rocker. It turns like the Titanic with its little Feathercraft rudder. This lends itself to use with a sail, I believe.

Well, yes and no. I think that the Sea-1 inexplicably comes with the standard solo-kayak sized Feathercraft rudder. While I prefer that style fully retractable rudder, that blade size and shape seems inadequate for a hull that is nearly 18 feet long and 28” wide.

I’d consider replacing that 20” x 3” blade with a Feathercraft double (21” x 5”), or perhaps even DIYing a suitably larger replacement blade in the curvy Kruger shape.

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/produc...udders/feathercraft-double-rudder-kit-k2.html

The Phoenix Vagabond comes with that larger rudder, and comparing that longer and wider double-kayak rudder blade to the Feathercraft solo rudder blade may explain why I find the soloized Vagabond so nimble. Compare that narrow solo Feathercraft blade to what is on your Sea Wind, Monarch or Loon.

http://topkayaker.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1554

Add in a sail and a gear load and that blade surface seems too small for the task at hand. Hey Marlin, that ain’t no solo sea kayak, it needs more rudder blade surface.

I can't wait to get my Falcon Sail rigged on the Clipper and see how she does. I also want to get into some serious weather and waves in the Clipper. I imagine it will be a much wetter ride without the use of the spray skirt, compared to the Kruger. But I do have it on some good authority that the Clipper can also handle any water conditions you throw at it.

“Much wetter” may depend on the wind and wave action. One condition where the Sea Wind noticeably outperformed the Sea-1 was broadside in shallow water waves, where there is a closely spaced whap-whap-whap of steep chop smacking the hull. Not in terms of taking water over the coming, but the rounded shape of the Sea Wind deflected more of the choppy hull-slap splash and spray away from the paddler.

In those broadside wind conditions the Sea Wind was also much easier when it was necessary to paddle out at some manageable wind angle and then pivot 90 degrees between wave sets to surf back in. Again, a bigger/wider rudder might help the Sea-1 in that regard.

That side splash/spray is noticeably different between 70’s decked boat conversions. The Old Town Sockeye (Sea Wimp) is quite rounded (and quite deep), and yet it is a splashy wet ride in a steep broadside chop.

I’ll be very interested in your results with the Falcon sail. The Clipper Sea-1 will always be the one that got away.

Mike,

It seems like we are in agreement. I'm no expert on canoe design, nor sailing. But I'm learning a few things.

In fact, I'm one step ahead of you on the need for a bigger rudder for the Sea 1. I actually ordered the larger K-2 blade from Feathercraft just last night. I'll report how it works later.

Don't let me get away with dissin' Krugers sailing ability. YES, many Sea Winds and/or Dreamcatchers in Watertribe events are fully equipped with leeboards, outriggers, and big big sails, in the Class 3 division. The main design I recall is Balogh. It must be a pretty good rig, I saw many go over the horizon on Tampa bay while I paddled away in the back of the pack with my little 1M sail in Class 1. I'm quite sure the Kruger/Balogh holds some Watertribe class records. SO my comments regarding sailing ability strictly refer to Class 1 entries, where leeboards, centerboards, etc. are prohibited.

Patrick Forester of Falcon sails is making me a custom mounting block so I can install the Falcon mast base on the peaked deck of the Sea 1. I hope to have it sailing in another week or two.

Yes Mike, it is sad your Sea 1 got away. I might as well get used to cramming this boat in my garage with the rest of 'em.

Joe

Re Tandem Feathercraft rudder and Falcon sails.
After installing a feathercraft rudder assembly on my Cobra Expedition years ago , I went to the tandem feather craft blade in hopes of improving the turn radius in the ocean. It helped a bit but it still was very slow turning in ocean waves. The Feathercraft tandem blade was the same width but longer. Did you ask Feathercraft if they can make a wider blade which you may need for sailing. I have a 20ft Kaskazi Duo ARX ( tandem sea self bailing sea kayak) that I use with the larger Kayaksailor sail rig. I need more rudder blade area for sailing with it so I got a longer and wider rudder blade from Kaskazi but haven't mounted it yet
I have been considering mounting a Falcon sail in my Swift Keewatin 17 but would probably have to mount a rudder to effectively sail it so have put this project off.
Please post how the Falcon sail works out
Joe

If you go to Feathercraft's website, they actually have four different rudder blades. I'm afraid you didn't get a K-2 rudder, but rather just a longer K-1 rudder. Each rudder is available in regular and long. The K-2 rudder is definitely wider, as you suggest. I got a regular K-2 rudder.

As far as the Falcon Sail is concerned, while I haven't put it on the Clipper yet I have had it on my Kruger for awhile now and it worked out excellent despite the "skating" that occurred with the Kruger hull. The sail itself is the best one on the market, and Patrick is extremely helpful. He will not rest until your rig is set up perfectly and you are 100% happy with it. Five stars, all the way.
Joe

UPDATE. Yes I put the Feathercraft K-2 (short version) rudder on the Clipper and it makes a big difference. I would advocate for Clipper to sell the Sea 1 with this rudder instead of the dinky K-1 blade it comes equipped with. It improved turning dramatically.

I installed the Falcon sail rig with much success! I won't go into detail, but the end result was a clean and effective design. The only issue I haven't solved to my satisfaction is the location of the sheet line, I think it is. You know, the line you use to adjust the angle of the boom. Ideally, the fairlead/eye pad would be located about directly under the attachment point on the boom above. But the long open cockpit makes this an issue. the very front of the cockpit is too close to the mast. Perhaps I will rig up a line going across the cockpit with some kind of fairlead on it.

The Sea 1 sails beautifully as I expected. It tracks wonderfully on all points of wind. No skating. I am pumped about using this boat in the upcoming Everglades Challenge in March. I did that event in March 2013 with the Kruger and the Falcon sail. I expect I can put down a lot more miles in the same conditions with the Clipper Sea 1 and the Falcon sail.

Before anyone commits to one sail type or another, I highly recommend you check out the Falcon. It is just the best one out there, in my opinion. Especially if you want a true sail (mast and boom style) rather than a parachute, umbrella, or V type.

I can get pics but if you really want to see them and some discussion of this boat, look on my facebook page. Joe Tousignant.
I'd be remiss if I didn't point you to www.falconsails.com lots of canoe and kayak sail pics there. Good stuff!
Joe

Last edited:
UPDATE. Yes I put the Feathercraft K-2 (short version) rudder on the Clipper and it makes a big difference. I would advocate for Clipper to sell the Sea 1 with this rudder instead of the dinky K-1 blade it comes equipped with. It improved turning dramatically.

The Sea 1 sails beautifully as I expected. It tracks wonderfully on all points of wind. No skating. I am pumped about using this boat in the upcoming Everglades Challenge in March. I did that event in March 2013 with the Kruger and the Falcon sail. I expect I can put down a lot more miles in the same conditions with the Clipper Sea 1 and the Falcon sail.

It does seem odd that the Clipper Sea-1, a boat designed as a decked expedition tripper, would come with an inarguably undersized rudder blade. It is a big solo and with a big load it needs a big rudder to be responsive.

I don’t know how open Marlin is to suggestions for improvement, but it would be worth sending him an e-mail with your findings.

All the more reason I’ll be following the Everglades Challenge. Best of luck.

Now, the Sea 1 does not have the slick three vertical position seat that flips over to form the most comfortable portage yoke you can imagine. The Sea 1 has a seat that slides forward or backward to adjust trim...perhaps the boat is more sensitive to trim than the Sea Wind, I don't know. You can adjust the Clipper seat to one of three heights, but it requires tools and time while the Sea Wind's seat can be adjusted, even on the fly.

Joe, I didn’t notice much trim sensitivity in either the Sea Wind or Sea-1. I’ll be interested in your take on that once you’ve got a bunch of seat, gear load and varying conditions time in the Sea-1 for comparison.

Also in how much wetter you think it is in a broadside chop. Meh, never mind, snap that spray cover on and quit your lap saturated suffering.

I’m actually a fan of snap covers, despite the occasional aching thumb installation. Snap covers seem impervious to implosion without using awkward open-cockpit stays or stiffeners. Somewhere in the mists of memory is a tale of someone’s Newfoundland jumping onto a snapped spray cover.

Certainly the hard tracking vee bottom should offer a non-skating sail advantage without lee boards, but I’m thinking that the Sea-1’s sliding seat may also offer sailing advantages, allowing on-the-fly trim adjustments under sail without resorting to redistributing gear.

I do like the integrated portage yoke on the Sea Wind, but I rarely change the best-for-me seat height on my Monarch or any other boat with a height adjustable seat.

Update! After spending 300 miles in the Sea 1 in the EC, all my expectations were dead on! Gosh, the boat was MADE for the EC Class 1 with a Falcon Sail. I put on a strap over the cockpit with a fairlead for the sheet line, directly under the boom sheet line attachment point, and it worked perfectly. The advantage of the the fairlead in this location is when you want to drop the sail, a yank on the sheet line pulls the boom down and towards you, so it lands in your lap where you want it.

So the boat sails like a dream.
It is stable as all get out. a gust of wind from the side may lean you over, but it hits a wall of secondary stability, hard, and doesn't go over. The secondary stability on the rounded Kruger Sea Wind is "softer".

The Kruger, with it's rounded hull, bobs and weaves over waves in confused seas. The Clipper goes straight, and with its sharper entry it tends to dive through waves more than the Kruger rides up and over. The deck of the Clipper gets wet a lot more often, not that it is a problem. It doesn't "submarine"....

I had the seat in it's lowest position the whole time, and it will stay there. So not having quickly adjustable seat height is not a problem.
Being able to slide it forward when sailing is a plus, also when you know you will spend the entire day paddling into headwinds and waves, might as well drop the bow a bit too.

I don't think any portage yoke on the Clipper can beat the quick and easy and SUPER comfortable portage yoke of the Kruger. However, I realize that NO open canoe has the wonderful portage yoke of the Kruger, there MUST be an easy way to mount a yoke on the Clipper. The yoke I have came with the boat and I'm sure it isn't the Clipper option. I don't like it with the nuts and bolts, but I assume one could figure out a system with pins/clips that would be very useful.

I'm not happy with the 2 piece spray skirt that came with it. I like to have the front and rear cargo areas covered, yet have an "open cockpit" when conditions allow. But when it comes time to batten down the hatches for rough conditions, the spray skirt requires that you line up a long velcro strip on each side, tighten 3 bungees, and wear suspenders. I personally don't like the concept...if you you go over there is too much entanglement hazard. I never deployed the skirt as designed for that reason. So, water would pool up around my waist and I would get wet. I plan to work on a 3 piece setup, perhaps Dan Cooke can help me with it. It would involve a rear section, covering all the cargo behind the bulkhead. It would have a front section, covering the open cockpit to mid-thigh. The center section would have to integrate in a waterproof fashion with the front and rear sections...have to figure that out. But I would like it to be waterproof but also have a big zipper so that it could be opened easy to take a piss or get at food/water and stuff during long, otherwise wet crossings...The idea being that when I push off, it might be 12-30 hours before I can land again, and I have to take care of myself in the meantime.

So, do you buy a Clipper Sea 1 or a Kruger? Well, the Kruger has a better portage yoke design for sure. Its cockpit shape is paddler friendly. It turns a lot better, making it a better small, twisty river boat for sure. But if you can't afford a Kruger, get a Clipper and make a few mods to the rudder pedals, put a foam floor in it under the pedals (as I've talked about), get a K-2 rudder blade on it, and get yourself a good spray skirt made up and enjoy the thousands of dollars in savings....and have a better boat for really rough water and for sailing, especially. Don't even consider any sail other than a Falcon setup for the Clipper, either.

Joe

Before anyone commits to one sail type or another, I highly recommend you check out the Falcon. It is just the best one out there, in my opinion. Especially if you want a true sail (mast and boom style) rather than a parachute, umbrella, or V type.

That was an evil bit of temptation today. My dad is on his biennial "I think a little sail boat would be really fun" kick so I already had it on the brain when I went through this thread today and hopped over to the Falcon website. Never gave much serious thought to a sail rig but am now. Hoping for a trip way up north for next year and a little sail rig might be nice when crossing 50-100 mile long lakes.

The biggest deterrent to me getting a sail rig has always been the fear I'll fail in love with sailing and fall out of love with paddling.

Alan

That was an evil bit of temptation today. My dad is on his biennial "I think a little sail boat would be really fun" kick so I already had it on the brain when I went through this thread today and hopped over to the Falcon website. Never gave much serious thought to a sail rig but am now. Hoping for a trip way up north for next year and a little sail rig might be nice when crossing 50-100 mile long lakes.

The biggest deterrent to me getting a sail rig has always been the fear I'll fail in love with sailing and fall out of love with paddling.

Alan

Alan,

Tell your dad to commit to his curiosity, buy a sailboat and use it, he won't regret it!
As for your concerns of paddling abandonment, I'd say it's not likely.
I have been paddling open canoes forever...I also have been sailing since my late 20's. I've sailed all sorts of boats, big and small. While sailing can be very cool, and sometimes more exciting than desired, it's just not the same as paddling a remote pond or river.
Maybe you should build your dad a sailboat, a nice 14 or 16 foot high performance dinghy.
For me, sailing is the next best thing to skiing, but neither is as satisfying as tripping in a canoe that you've built yourself!

Alan, my thoughts on using a small sail rig, even just a downwind sail, have been expressed many times. Sailing a canoe or kayak/decked boat has become another arrow in my quiver, and when the conditions are right the ability to make distance effortlessly is sheer joy. Especially on big open water where there is nothing but miles and miles for miles and miles.

But I have zero desire to own a real sailboat. Living near the Chesapeake Bay I know lots of folks who have sailboats. And even more folks who had sailboats. The one common denominator between the haves and hads is that both acknowledge the reality of a sailboat being “A hole in the water into which they throw money”.

Any inclination I have towards owning a sailing craft is tempered by my desire that it is lightweight, car toppable, solo-able and multifunctional; something I can day sail, or paddle, or even use tripping.

I’m not a small boat builder, but if I were I’d think about building something along the lines of JEM’s Northwind or CLC’s Microbootlegger and incorporating a sail and rudder.

JEM Watercraft Northwind (17’ 2” x 28.5”)
http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=NorthWind

CLC Microbootlegger (17’ 6” x 27”)
http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/...ootlegger-strip-planked-tandem-kayak-kit.html

Well, I do love sailing our canoes and decked boats, but I love paddling them as well. And on any given trip I usually do both; sometimes the sail is the way to go and sometimes the paddle makes better progress. Having either option, and sometimes doing both at once, makes sense.

Given your boatbuilding and FRP layup skills I expect you could turn out a kickass semi-decked paddle sailing craft.

Any inclination I have towards owning a sailing craft is tempered by my desire that it is lightweight, car toppable, solo-able and multifunctional; something I can day sail, or paddle, or even use tripping.

The little sailboat that my wife won't let me sell just about fits that description - as a solo rig.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=4211

Kneel in it with a single blade and edged a little on one side.....feels like a short, fat, solo canoe - with a rounded bottom. Not too bad, actually. Tripping? Backpack gear. And they're cheap. ;)

Joe - in your estimation, how much of a breeze does it take to move that Sea 1 as fast as you could be paddling it? And how close to the wind can it sail? Does anybody ever try a little spinnaker for downwind on these rigs?

Joe - in your estimation, how much of a breeze does it take to move that Sea 1 as fast as you could be paddling it? And how close to the wind can it sail? Does anybody ever try a little spinnaker for downwind on these rigs?

I’m hoping Joe will chime in, he probably has GPS measured speeds for the Sea-1 and Falcon Sail.

I have used both a Pacific Action sail and Spirit Sails on our decked canoes, and on our open canoes. Those are both more rudimentary than the Falcon, and I most often use the small sized Spirit Sail.

In a 10 mph tailwind the little SS will move the gear loaded Monarch along at or above my normal cruising speed, and in a 15 mph breeze as fast or faster than I can paddle.

I’ve put this video up before, but it shows what a small sail can do even in light winds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU2mE83Gi0M

I am completely sold on the value of a small sail, especially when lake or bay tripping.

Didn't know you had a Poke Boat, Mike. What size is that?

The only canoe I have that might be suitable for a sail is the Malicite. Unfortunately, Idaho requires registration if you put a sail on a canoe - and I refuse to deface that boat with 3" high ID numbers.

I could be tempted to put a sail on the wife's Chesapeake, but tthat boat's probably a bit small for that.

Last edited:
Steve, its not too often that I put down the paddle and just sail. I'd expect a 15mph wind would keep the boat at 4 mph or so. if you are doing 7 or 8 with the sail up, you are probably on the edge. The thing is, with a 5-10 mph breeze, you can keep a 4-5 mph pace so much easier, that you will never want to be without a sail again if you are trying to put down the miles. I think both the Falcon Sail and the Clipper Sea 1 allow sailing closer to the wind than other sail designs and other canoe hulls (without the use of lee boards). A very rough guess, I'd say I used the sail if the wind was 45 degrees off the bow, while paddling as well. Patrick Forester, the maker of Falcon sails, would be able to answer that question a lot better than me, as I'm not a very experience sailor at all.

Thanks Joe.
It may not ssound like much, but those are respectable figures for such a craft. When I look at sailboats here in the Northwest, I'm not as concerned about top speed as I am about light wind performance. That's mostly more about the sail plan than the hull (assuming the hull is not excessively draggy) - which is why I asked.

Back