• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Swift Shearwater

Reaction score
Hey all: I really do not know much about solo boats but have been reading a lot. I am currently overloaded with information. I am thinking about buying a used Shearwater. Seems like a decent boat and one is for sale used but perhaps a tad large for me and is pushing 50lbs. Seems a lot of weight for a solo.

I am 6ft, 170lbs, long legs and arms.
I will use this for small tight streams, larger rivers (class 1 to slow moving), open flatwater, touring.
Plan to do some back-country, but travel very light, sometimes a 40lbs dog joins me. I guess 170-250lbs total weight. Prefer sitting on flat but like to drop to knees when the situation calls for it.
I am use to white water and can paddle flat. Confident in a boat but no pro and not a fancy paddler. I am comfortable w/ the J,Draw, cross draw, and Pry strokes.

I know no boat can do it all.

Also if anyone is selling one that matches most of the above drop me a line.

Thanks, Charlie

Edit: Single blade paddle

Last edited:
I agree with Yellowcanoe, the osprey might be more approiate. I own an Osprey and am heavier than you. I consider my Osprey my big solo. I normally trip in a Flashfire or Keewayden 14. I find the Sheatwater huge for my tastes. Different strokes.
Turtle

If you are going to carry a dog and your gear, the Shearwater would be the way to go. My Osprey carried my dog or my gear, but not both.

I owned a Shearwater and it did most of what you are asking it to. Small tight streams will be a challenge at 16'-2". The weight of an older boat will be in that 50# range in a kevlar expedition layup. I traded that boat for a Nova Craft Bob Special for my 1-2 week solo expeditions and sometimes wish I had both boats. A 15' solo boat has weight limitations so I would try before I buy one.

For a good price just grab the darn thing. Some time on the water will give you feedback. Dog and gear may be too much to pack in the Osprey. Whenever folks want to add dog that is a wild card. Then the primary concern is the dog happy?

If you still feel its too big you can always sell the Shearwater.

I think the Shearwater fits all of your functional and size requirements very well, especially with a dog. If money is no object, get a new one in a really light layup. If you're on a budget and the price is reasonable, I'd get it now. No one ever had any current fun paddling a "future" canoe.

You're not marrying it if you buy it. If you don't like it, you can act passive aggressive toward it, holler at it, argue with it, toss Ming vases at it, and eventually sell it into slavery to a Saudi sheik.

Thanks for all the input

FWIW: The Shearwater is selling for 850, not exactly a steal but this is before negotiations. It is the Gold Fusion layup w/ cherry. Looks really pretty.

I did have the Osprey in mind. Since I can pack very light figured it would be doable but don't see them for sale used. The Keewaydin is also under consideration but would leave the dog home when touring.

@Glen: passive aggressive, not my style. Holler and hair pulling suits me better:)
@Jazz: think 16ft too big for tight streams?

What is considered optimum weight with it. States 180-320, I don't even make minimum weight unless I bring a cooler full of beer or the dog.

Reasonable price.. You have 180-320 is a performance load and you can skate by at 162 without being an object blowing around in the wind.. You can sell the boat. Try that with a wife

From my experience with three wives, it's a lot cheaper to acquire them than it is to be rid of them (wives that is, not canoes). When one is single, one can have many canoes. When married, the number of canoes might be limited. Wife number three hasn't kicked up a stink yet, so I should be good for several more. I'd like a Shearwater eventually too!

If it's onCraigslist I saw that Shearwater - good looking canoe.

If you can wait for spring I'm sure we can arrange a test paddle in my Keewaydin 15 if you would like.

Hanz, thanks for the offer. If I haven't bought by then I may take you up on the offer. I have a feeling I may buy one before.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that the Shearwater would be a "mistake". I have an admitted preference for smaller solos,and since I pack lite and go solo not bringing a domesticated predator along,small works for me. I have paddler friends that are happy paddling big canoes and-good for them.
Turtle

For those of you with smaller solos, Kee14 Kee15 etc: How do they handle a mid sized dog. Lets pretend and say he/she sits still.

The only thing holding me back on the Shearwater is it's weight. A lot lighter than my current barge but not light. I have a few emails out to NY outfitters that rent/sale used boats. Waiting to hear.

I own a Kee 14 and it's the solo that I wish I was in a different solo the least often- if that makes sense. Most all purposes for ME. I go solo,so I don't bring a dog so I can't comment on a dog passenger.
Turtle

I have some relatively smaller solos but not the ones you specifically asked about, but I do take my dog along, always.

Bell Magic had enough room in the bow for my old 60+ pound springer spaniel. It has lots of room for my current 28 pound Brittany. I've done 10 day canoe trips with her in that boat.

Osprey (wood strip) has lots of room for the Brittany and probably would have fit the old springer fine as well. I've only day paddled with this boat but have no doubt there would be plenty of room for my dog+gear.

I briefly owned a royalex Bell Yellowstone Solo (wildfire) when I was between dogs and first thing I thought when paddling is that my old dog (the springer) would not have fit well at all. The brittany probably would have been fine but I think having a dog along in that boat would have seriously limited gear capacity for longer trips. But I never tripped with that boat so I can't say for sure.

Alan

Thanks for all the input

FWIW: The Shearwater is selling for 850, not exactly a steal but this is before negotiations. It is the Gold Fusion layup w/ cherry. Looks really pretty.

I did have the Osprey in mind. Since I can pack very light figured it would be doable but don't see them for sale used. The Keewaydin is also under consideration but would leave the dog home when touring.

@Glen: passive aggressive, not my style. Holler and hair pulling suits me better:)
@Jazz: think 16ft too big for tight streams?

What is considered optimum weight with it. States 180-320, I don't even make minimum weight unless I bring a cooler full of beer or the dog.

16' isn't too big, the small amount of differential rocker makes tight maneuvering more challenging. I would not have considered taking my Shearwater on the Kickapoo River here in Wisconsin. Your definition of tight streams may be different from mine.

Ive tripped with a fifteen foot Merlin and my dawg.. Never never again. If she is not happy I am not happy. She is a 60 lb Golden. Ride of choice is a Swift Raven'

Now there is a block of width at 15 foot four inches long. Volume matters .. length is a rough rule of volume but some fifteen foot solos are narrow and others like the Raven wide

Back