• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Ray Goodwin Solo Sailing Rig Video

G

I’m not keen on sails that require masts, mast thwarts and steps, but a friend sent me this, which may be of special interest to poling trippers with a penchant for multi-functional gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoY4V2EHQeg

That is an Endless River solo sail (had to listen closely as the wind blew, and freeze-frame on the logo)

https://www.endlessriver.co.uk/sailing/solo-sail/

Some of his paddle blade ruddering technique freaks me “Oh heck no” out, but the actual sail design, using a take apart carbon pole as mast and boom (“spititzle”?), seems reasonable priced (or, DIYable) especially if you already carry a take-apart pole.

From my canoe sailing days the only thing I didn't like in the video was having the paddle for the front position under the rope. All I can think if a big gust sneaks up on you and you need to have quick access to your paddle that rope in the way is a hindrance. I do like the sail, my big rig is a heck of a lot bigger and built differently although what I found interesting is he said it could do a fair bit of upwind if I heard right. Thanks for sharing Mr. McCrea.

Last edited:
He's an interesting guy. Bumped into him on the Bloodvein a few years ago and have been keeping tabs on him via Facebook since. He's a professional canoe instructor and even got some sort of medal from the queen for it last year. I'm not saying that means he's right and you're wrong because I don't know anything about canoe sailing. Just wanted to make a little introduction for him since I assume most paddlers over here don't know who he is. Nice down to earth guy that's passionate about what he does. The only thing I can say against him is that his dog is nuts.

Alan

All that rope handling, managing waves + a dog that might, at any moment, shift his weight around, is probably a bit unnerving. I know it would be for me. He looks very busy managing it all between 9:25 and about 10:00. Add that he is at some loch with frigid water, and his point of having a self rescue plan is well taken! I'd love to see his video on that subject. Ray knows what he is doing, and he is well known among European canoeists. I watched some of his trip videos. Apparently he is not afraid of big water either, as the last few minutes of the sailing video show.
It just dawns on me that tacking does not seem possible, so down-wind at a pretty good clip it is. I suppose that means one either arranges for transportation at the take out, or one must be comfortable with the thought of a slow, laborious paddle back against the wind and the waves. Interesting video and thank you for sharing it, Mike.

P.S. I checked out the Endless River webpage. Did you see the black or colored carbon otter tails?

his point of having a self rescue plan is well taken! I'd love to see his video on that subject.

I'm pretty sure he has a couple. As I remember he likes to keep an empty dry bag (with the clip top) which he fills with water and clips to the center thwart of the canoe so that it's hanging over the side into the water. This provides ballast when he heaves himself up over the gunwales to keep the canoe from going over.

Alan

I'm pretty sure he has a couple. As I remember he likes to keep an empty dry bag (with the clip top) which he fills with water and clips to the center thwart of the canoe so that it's hanging over the side into the water. This provides ballast when he heaves himself up over the gunwales to keep the canoe from going over.

Alan

He’d need a pretty big bag. He’s a pretty big boy.

Alan, very small-world cool that you encountered him on the Bloodvein. He is definitely skilled with that rig, and mentions the need for practiced technique and rescue considerations in the latter part of the video.

From my canoe sailing days the only thing I didn't like in the video was having the paddle for the front position under the rope. All I can think if a big gust sneaks up on you and you need to have quick access to your paddle that rope in the way is a hindrance.

I am a BWAAK-BWAAK chicken sailer, and really want an instantly free paddle with which to brace. There is a part around 6:35 in the video where he is leaned forward, bow ruddering with the paddle trapped under the sail sheet. That gave me the willies. Even sitting in a rudder boat I grasp a freely held paddle as a ready-to-brace comfort totem, especially at higher sailing speeds.

In the incorporated Circumnavigating Mull later footage he is flying, rising bow-out on some sizeable waves, and that kind of action is, um, invigorating, if stay-on-top-of-your-game-every-second scary.

But, at about the 11:30 mark, where he is talking about the need for practiced technique, situational awareness and rescue considerations, he is booking along downwind in the waves while sailing rock steady.

That bit, when the hull settles in, at speed downwind in the waves is, as he says, “Lots of fun”. Maybe the most fun you can have in a small boat. And gawd it can make some near effortless miles.

Note that he is doing all that with a dog dancing on the gunwales, Ray Goodwin has his crap down. Makes me want to fling a sail up soon.

Out of curiosity, does anyone recognize which Venture model tandem canoe he is using bow backwards?

Back