No announcement yet.

Build or buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've started my first build - Bob's Special. I found some rough cut white cedar about 3 km's away. I picked up 21 lengths of 5/4x4 and just finished creating 10 bags of cedar shavings. Planed down to 7/8 and jointed one edge. I'm doing rolling bevel a la Nick Schade. Please let me know if I'm missing something - I presume the 1/4" vs 3/16" has to do with the available bead and cove bits. Seeing as how I'm not doing that, I was thinking about meeting halfway and cutting my strips at 0.215".

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Gage View Post

I've done it. It wasn't a big deal.

Alan
      Thanks Alan - this is very good to know (and potential justification for buying a thickness planer if I can find room in my garage for it).

Comment

Jim, I'm a bit of a tight wad myself - my last canoe was built wth strips that I cut from decking boards bought at Home Depot for $25 CAN each. Came out ok I think, but I want to step it up a bit this time around, and while I haven't exhausted my search of local sources yet, for the equivalent high quality 16 foot 1x6 cedar around here the best I can find so far is $65 CAN per board, or somewhere around $45-50 US. So looking at the totals, I would be in for around $350 CAN (taxes in) for the same five boards you can find at Menards for less than $175 CAN. At the same time I can get the equivalent in good quality bead and coved strips for around $500 CAN including tax and delivered, although these would not be full 16 foot lengths. This is not a huge $ difference to save a couple of days cutting and applying bead and cove, so gives me pause for thought (not to mention an excuse to buy a planer to get them down to 3/16 inch, which I of course would not need to count in the cost of my build due to my highly-developed skills in self-delusional logic).

Brian, many thanks for your generous offer to come help me out on this - I am just outside Ottawa so maybe not that far from Bowmanville, but if I decide to go ahead with the full deal on processing strips I will have to learn how to do bead and cove on those 3/16 strips the hard way. I am confident that I can pull it off, but there will be much cussing. And I wouldn't want to pull you away from the build thread you just started - your 30 pound target is exactly what I am looking for, so will be following closely.

Comment

Originally posted by Cruiser View Post
          3/16 strips ... I just made a whole batch for my current build, and that is one of the first things i will be posting. So I can confirm that the skilsaw work fine making those strips ... I am using NWC which is a little fussier than WRC in my opinion and I had minimal issues.

I just used a regular router setup for the B & C, I don't think you should have any big issues Traveler. I see you are in Ontario, if it is not too far, i would be willing to give you a hand with that when you are ready.

Brian
          Traveler ! I'd be on Brian's offer in a heart beat ! Nothing better than an experienced hand, building a stripper !

Brian and I don't always agree on some things, But he'd be a great help !

Jim
          Keep your paddle wet, and your seat dry !

Comment

Originally posted by memaquay View Post
            Ha ha Jim, that's a 180 Canuk dollars, don't ya know. I'm normally a bit of a tightwad too, but only have a month and limited enthusiasm, so in the words of Crusty Crab from Spongebob Squarepants, "Money Money Money".
            Forgot about the rate of exchange ! I wonder Who has to work harder for a Dollar ? An American, or a Canadian ? Ha !

In any rate. "Money" You can't take it with you ! I heard of a guy that told his Wife " I want to take my money with me when I die" His Wife said "Fine" and wrote him a check, and placed in his casket !

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler View Post

Brian, many thanks for your generous offer to come help me out on this - I am just outside Ottawa so maybe not that far from Bowmanville, but if I decide to go ahead with the full deal on processing strips I will have to learn how to do bead and cove on those 3/16 strips the hard way. I am confident that I can pull it off, but there will be much cussing. And I wouldn't want to pull you away from the build thread you just started - your 30 pound target is exactly what I am looking for, so will be following closely.
              Have Brian help you set up a Skilsaw, to cut your strips, and you won't need a plane !

Jim

Comment

More power to ya, Rob. I figure if you lost 50 pounds you must have saved at least $1000 on beer and spam so as far as I'm concerned you're more than justified.

Alan

Comment

Working...
                X