• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Build or buy?

Hmmm, the whole 40 pound thing is going to get in the way a lot. I could get you an as new Clipper Packer 14 footer for $1200 but it comes in at 52 lbs. Maybe you should look at a Swift Keewaydin 15....suuuuuuuuper nice canoe.
Just a reminder that Gramma is still lugging a 50 plus pound canoe around the woods.

That white cedar is still rough cut ...they should have planed and jointered it first. The router will destroy those edges. And I prefer red cedar as the white is quite toxic to work with once you start producing airborne dust in large amounts. Karin cant even be around it any more. The cost is not bad but once you add glass and resin it still ends up @ 1500. might as well buy a used kevlar boat ?

That’s interesting as I cannot tolerate red cedar. I still use it but need to protect myself from the slightest amount of dust.
Jim

Thanks for all the help and suggestions! I'm just waiting on one more quote on resin and then I think I will order the supplies to build a new raven, which is what I really want anyway.

If I were closer I would give you yellowcanoe in trade for I dunno.. beer? She is worth maybe 200USD. The seat needs to be lowered and its best that your first paddle would be in warm water. Really best for kneeling but sitting would work with a lower seat. Cherry rails make this easy.. 38 lbs

Iskeo ... I think that the toxic characteristics red and white are pretty similar for the general population, but individual sensitivities to either are not the norm, as I understand it. I have (am currently) worked with both and I can't say there is much difference for me ... of course that also assumes using decent a decent mask, which one should be doing when raising any amount of airborne sawdust

I have an unused OT Appalachian on the racks. It would weigh 40lbs if you cut it in half.

Last edited:
Yes, thanks for the link, I looked at that a few days ago, but passed. Seems like the Heron was a boat where some concentration and no beer drinking were necessary to keep it upright.

Changed my mind, lol. Osprey comes in at around 47 sq feet, Raven at 53. Since weight is more important to me now, I dug out the Osprey forms yesterday. Think I will set up strongback today. Noah's was very accommodating, they sell a bare bones kit with everything you need to build a stripper if you already have the forms. I asked them to take out the gunwales and the stems, and it came to around a 1000 bucks. Includes around 1100 linear feet of WRC bead and coved, MAS epoxy and resin, pumps, 12 yards of six ounce, big jug of tightbond glue, wood flour Shipping for the whole lot was only 100 bucks. I got a fiberglass quote from another company I use, and it was 450 bucks before shipping and taxes, so I'm not unhappy with the amount.

I've got a contract position at the school until the end of March, and I'll be teaching a young fella to build a canoe while I'm there, so I'll use the Osprey as a demo model. He's a pretty smart whippersnapper, and is currently cutting out forms for the Raven using the CNC machine. That's quite an interesting process to watch too.

I'll be watching, always intrigued by the osprey design. Lately my son keeps wanting to borrow my hemlock peregrine too. Might need to build him an osprey so I can use my peregrine when we paddle together...

That strikes me as a very good deal from what I have seen available in Canada for both cedar and epoxy/fibreglass prices. But Noah's only sells 1/4 inch strips I think, and I like 3/16. I wonder if it would be possible to plane down bead and coved 1/4 inch to 3/16 thickness without screwing up the bead and cove, assuming access to a decent sawmill (or planer if you own one)?

Ha ha ha, in this case, I'm gonna say they are stripper neutral, and don't become the Devil's handiworks until turned into a kayak.

I wonder if it would be possible to plane down bead and coved 1/4 inch to 3/16 thickness without screwing up the bead and cove

I've done it. It wasn't a big deal.

Alan

Back