• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Which of 4 boats? So far...

Reaction score
I am looking to enter the world of solo canoes...I have posted within other topics but thought more direct approach might be helpful.

I am looking at a few boats that are available and seem to fit my needs but curious to see what others think of boats and prices for the used ones...

6'0" tall, 215 lbs, fit and comfortable in canoes - some solo whitewater, C1 training and 30 years of tripping in tandem boats and soloing backwards tandems. I am in Eastern Ontario and will likely do most of my paddling lightly loaded, day-tripping for fitness and recreation but intend to trip several times a summer too. Family has grown and moved away. Always paddle kneeling with correction strokes, looking for a challenge and learning platform for Canadian Shield lakes and rivers around here rather than a predictable fishing vessel.

Right now a used Swift Osprey ($2800) and Shearwater ($3000) are available and a used SRT ($3200). Am considering a purchase of a new Clipper Caribou S shipped here for around $3500. Exchange rate and preference to buy Canadian have me hesitant to consider American boats. Locally Swift Keewaydin 15 and H20 16/6 are readily available but Keewaydin seems a bit more stable than I want and H20 too long and narrow to be as flexible as I would like.

Used prices seem pretty high, better chance of better prices down the road? Do any of these boats seem to be appropriate? These are bigger boats, but I seem to be bigger than most paddlers too and would like to be able to travel with at least a week's worth of gear.

I am 6" 215lbs just like you. I recently had an opportunity to paddle a 15' Swift Keewaydin and really liked it. To me, that canoe would be a very good choice for efficient day tripping. Can you elaborate on your statement "but Keewaydin seems a bit more stable than I want"? I have a Wenonah Prism for lakes and a Rendezvous for rivers. The Kee felt like a good mix of them. The Kee16' would be my choice for multi day solo, or maybe a Swift 15' Prospector if efficiency or speed are no concern. You are in an area where used rental fleet canoes should be available.

I have no experience with the other boats you mentioned, but size and purpose of the H20 seems to point toward multi day multi people trips with lots of gear, and the SRT (Solo River Tripper) may be better suited for river trips.

Eager to see what others will suggest. Good luck! :)

Agree with Keewaydin suggestion for what you described. IMO, very hard to beat DY designed boats. If all out speed under high cadence is not your objective I find that a stable, efficient hull opens up opportunities for more varied experiences...fishing, photography, moving water, etc. Kee is a great combo of the most desirable traits in a day paddler, and can function very well as a tripper when desired.

I’ve been looking at the Clipper, which is Canadian. The thing about the Caribou S that has me intrigued is that it is designed to be paddled from the knees if you want, which is how a tend to paddle. I’d love to try it out.

I like big solo's, and I am nowhere near your height. The Osprey was a great canoe for me when I was about 170 pounds. I'm 5'7. I could pack a decent load in it and took it through several thousand kilometers of tripping. However, the last one I built, I just found it to be too small, but I was up around 230 then. My buddy has the Caribou, it's a great canoe, and probably cheaper than the other ones you listed (those prices are very high for second hand, in my opinion). The only downside to the Caribou is it is on the heavier side, if that is a factor for you.

Have you thought about building a stripper version of a solo? If you do all the strips yourself, you can probably come out around 1000 bucks. I have built the Osprey and the Raven, both J Winters designs. The Raven is probably my favourite solo.

I’m the same size too. My all round favorite canoe is a prospector but I mostly only paddle it with my dog on board. For solo day trips and week long I like the SRT, Rockstar, and I have a Bell Northstar that is an asymmetrical tandem but it is really nice to paddle from the kneeling thwart. At our size, if you need some extra capacity for day and multi trips from the same canoe I would stick with canoes at 15’ or longer and more than 12” deep if paddling rivers. I figure if I had the chance to paddle a 15’ Kee I’d probably buy it in some exotic layup in Penguins color scheme! So I pass by them when I see them because I don’t need another composite. Good luck with your next canoe!

Cheers,
Barry

A good start, thank you for the input - my sense was from reading other posts that the Keewaydin design was moving to something a bit more stable and predictable, which is a good thing I suppose but something in my head wants to be challenged...I think too that I am being a little impatient. Prices for these used boats are too high to me for a shot in the dark and I think that I should paddle a few dedicated solos before buying something new. Pretty much anything will be better than paddling my asymmetrical 17' tripping canoe backwards.

Would love to build a boat but the house needs fixing before I would be allowed the time to disappear into the shop to build something just for me.

There is a used Swift Heron in expedition kevlar for sale at Algonquin Outfitters $1198... said to be the predecessor of the Kee 15, link to CCR thread included. No idea if it could be suitable, the $3000 prices for used Winters boats seem too high.

https://algonquinoutfitters.com/used-canoes/

IIRC, Swift is no longer building Winters designs on a regular basis, so price for them to actually build just one upon request could be higher for that reason. And maybe that's the reason why the used ones have that high asking price.

I a hemlock SRT (which is a great canoe) You will certainly be challenged.

Challenge can be found in any hull by learning to extract the maximum of what the hull is capable of. Early on in FreeStyle development most of us were paddling what were at that time considered tripping/traveling style hulls...not much rocker. But with skill development complex maneuvers were executed. Took time and some swims but was always fun. With advancement in design some hulls today can successfully navigate all sorts of water/experiences with sometimes surprising efficiency, setting aside whitewater play which, of course, requires specific design accommodations.
Paddle before you purchase if at all possible.

From your description I'll say Osprey. I have an Osprey and a Shearwater and they are the only two boats I've ever bought twice. I think both are much more playful than a Kee15 and better on rivers. Osprey is listed at 160-260 efficient range. If your total load with one week's gear is 260/270 or less then get an Osprey. It is so playful and so unique. Great for both rivers and lakes. SRT is a fine boat with excellent quality but I didn't like mine on flatwater...in my view it is a downriver tripper. I love my Shearwater especially with the weight of the dog (I'm 6 feet and 180) but Osprey is quicker and faster and more playful and again in my view just way more interesting and fun than a Kee15...and I do think the Kee15 is a fine boat.

So in summary - Osprey Osprey Osprey.

Pic shows Osprey with happy dog. Mine has the sliding seat. Ospreys are a bit trim sensitive.

image.jpeg

I liked my osprey a lot and kept it for a long time. Very maneuverable,seaworthy and somewhat fast. I as a novice freestyler did have trouble "heeling it to the rail" in classic freestyle fashion. It would turn fine flat by shifting weight fore and aft--so if playful means turning healed , maybe you should try one.

Hey carpenter, is there some reason that the H2O Solo 15 isn't on your list? I would love to try one of those. I like solo boats around 15 feet and I typically love boats with 2.5 inches of rocker in front and 1.5 in back. My (14 foot) Bell Yellowstone Solo has 2.5/1.5 rocker and it does indeed cruise well and also turn well. The Bell Northstar tandem mentioned also has 2.5/1.5 and it's an incredible boat although probably bigger than what you want. Just FYI the rocker specs on Swifts are misleading.

All four boats on your list are GREAT solos so it's really a matter of personal taste. I sure would like to try an H2O Solo 15.

Thank you for the input - spent some time with a very long thread (on several sites) from "Sabi" out on Vancouver Island, great information about a number of issues and considerations...worth looking at for anyone with curiosity about boats, entrylines, length width ratio etc.. I think some of the folk contributing got a little frustrated with the OP's indecision. I do not want to create the same emotion...
H2O boats look interesting, and they are quite close by - comments about them seem to indicate a boat more suited for going straight and loaded. I think I am leaning more towards less tracking and more maneuverability. New Swifts and H2O boats are new and therefore more expensive than I want to spend before paddling them. Osprey, of the boats available and perhaps the Heron seem the best choice right now - will see if Osprey could be had for cheaper.

...quite a different boat again is the Esquif Echo, only in T-Formex so heavy and blunt but bullet-proof and more affordable as a new boat...or a little cedar canvas or NC SuperNova...

I owned an Esquif Echo. It was the most fun freestyle canoe I ever paddled-you could literally climb all all over in it to help maneuverers-it made even me look good, but that's all it did well. It was slow, had too little freeboard-so little capacity and load capacity, and being royalex--it was heavy. Mine was the only green one made-real pretty! I miss it sometimes.

I owned an Esquif Echo. It was the most fun freestyle canoe I ever paddled-you could literally climb all all over in it to help maneuverers-it made even me look good, but that's all it did well. It was slow, had too little freeboard-so little capacity and load capacity, and being royalex--it was heavy. Mine was the only green one made-real pretty! I miss it sometimes.

I tested one in T-Formex at Mountainman last year, exactly as you described (only heavier still).

Hey Carpenter, It may not be what you are looking for but I have a Wenonah Prism for sale. It is brand new and only been on the water 3 times. Wood trim and thwarts,sliding bucket seat with a very cool portage yoke that sells for $200.00 I pd. just over $ 3,000.00 but will let it go for about $2500.00 I've been told I have too many canoes. Jackpine Jerry

Thank you for the input - spent some time with a very long thread (on several sites) from "Sabi" out on Vancouver Island, great information about a number of issues and considerations...worth looking at for anyone with curiosity about boats, entrylines, length width ratio etc.. I think some of the folk contributing got a little frustrated with the OP's indecision. I do not want to create the same emotion.

I do admire your desire to buy Canadian; I like to buy “Made in the USA”, but on a used boat the manufacturer has already made his profit. If you expand your horizon, used solo boats on this side of the border are a little more available and priced better (exchange rate notwithstanding). I am in upstate NY, and frequently check Ontario Kijiji; I rarely see a solo boat come up, especially private party. Not sure where in eastern ON you are, but between Buffalo and Albany there is a pretty good used solo canoe market if you are patient. If you haven’t made a decision by May, and are willing to consider US made boats, consider attending the Western Pennsylvania Solo Canoe Association annual event north of Pittsburg, where manufacturers such as Northstar, Hemlock, Colden, and Savage River have attended. In addition, there are always quite a few used solo boats that folks bring along to test and sell (including used Swifts). Research and opinions are great, but there is nothing like testing out a dozen different hulls in one place!

Back