• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Pack Capacity

Depends on the trip, depends on the canoe. Length of trip usually makes little difference as my gear is essentially the same, about 20-25 lbs before food and water. 3, 5, and 7 days food is roughly 6, 10, and 14 lbs respectively. more food is more bulk and a little more weight.

If it's something with frequent portages, like the St Regis Canoe Wilderness, I go as light as possible and try to single portage it... What I've used previously for that kind of trip is either a GoLite Gust (90 L, longer trip) or Jam70 (70 L, shorter trip), with a dry bag inside. That goes in back. My food bag (a separate/smaller dry bag) would go in front, and can easily be put into the bigger Gust when portaging. If I had the Jam, I'd likely hang the food bag off my front with a couple biners. In a headwind, I'd switch the heaviest bag to the front while paddling.

If it's an easier trip with fewer/shorter portages, I'd take my Chestnut Chum. (I've set it up to sit in the middle, vs reversing it and sitting in the bow seat facing the rear). Here, I'd be very tempted to take a wannagan, regardless of trip length. This holds all my food, Whelen lean-to, and cooking stuff. I'd mostly likely take the GoLite Gust 90L bag with a dry bag inside, just for the extra room to throw gear into without careful packing (the loose stuff you inevitably have floating around your cockpit when it comes time to portage). The wannagan is about 35lbs with a week's food. Point is, one is heavier than the other. How I loaded it would depend on which way the wind was blowing; heavy goes toward the wind.

My plan for solos is to keep one on the light side for carrying the canoe, with the pack with food the heavier one. I haven't mastered it yet. I'm leaving the bear vaults at home. Thinning down gear and revising my pack configuration. Right now I'm considering the axe/saw thing. Normally, I'm not a big fire guy, but with colder weather in May likely, I'm wondering.

For single portages, what do you do without?

Last edited:
We have more packs than we can ever use on a single trip. A couple of Eureka 115 li dry packs are the favourites but also a Woods 200, a CCS canoe pack, courtesy of Brad, a couple of 30 li barrels, one with a harness, my Cdn jump ruck, a couple of random frame/rucksack combinations and on and on. A lot of what I take is milsurp. My second barrel bag is an 82 pattern rucksack on a generic old aluminum frame that I cut down. Barrel fits right inside and it has three outside pockets.

We used to have a 60 li barrel but found we loaded it up too heavy. Max loaded weight on any barrel or pack is 30 lbs for us, which often means 4 packs plus the boat and hand carry. On solos it is two plus the boat and chainsaw. I would rather take the extra walk than try to slug a heavier pack.

Attachments

• photo11898.jpg
    photo11898.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo13971.jpg
    photo13971.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 2
  • photo13972.jpg
    photo13972.jpg
    545.1 KB · Views: 2
I would rather take the extra walk than try to slug a heavier pack.

There it is. I don't want to go back to living out of one heavy pack AND try to carry a canoe at the same time. I paddle to get away from civilization not to get from A to B. My trips are planned with Carries in mind.

I just DIY'd an external boot bag for my Eureka Canoe Pack. Go easy - it's my first, serious sewing project. I wear boots on portages, which means storing them while on the water and storing my canoe shoes while on land. Clipping them by the laces to the back of the pack made for a sloppy load. I added a pocket for items that I want to have access to without having to open the canoe pack (snacks, map, permits, etc.).

bbag001.jpg

bbag002.jpg

bbag003.jpg

bbag004.jpg

bbag005.jpg

I get it. Old(ish) thread, but I re-read it again today, and I wonder what your fine folks thoughts on pack material/style are and why. I seem to read that more of you prefer (or use) non water proof packs and stuff a variety of dry-bags inside. Others use large dry-packs (Eureka, MEC) to start with and presumably omit stuffing the gear in yet other dry bags, but perhaps cloth bags for organizational purposes.
Hope you all are well. Cheers.

Lots of good ideas here. one different thing I do is I have a small red waterproof fanny pack that has my survival kit,first aid, garmin, compass, dog spray ect. it goes with me on both trips and any time I leave camp-even to visit nature.

Lots of good ideas here. one different thing I do is I have a small red waterproof fanny pack that has my survival kit,first aid, garmin, compass, dog spray ect. it goes with me on both trips and any time I leave camp-even to visit nature.

I have a fanny pack too, but couldn't find a red one that I liked. It works pretty good for absolute essentials. I may start another thread about what's in that. It really solved the problem of canoe packs having few external pockets. Always good to hear others ideas.

ive come full circle with pack materials. For a while, it was nothing but canvas. Then, I got a CCS food pack, added a hybrid pack. As I became more weight sensitive, I've gone to hybrids exclusively. I still have a few canvas packs, but can't justify a 7 lb. pack when I'm shaving ounces off the rest of my kit. I do use dry bags inside my packs. That helps keeping stuff organized in camp as well as dry in transport.

id love to sell some of my older, heavier gear but there's not much market here.

Last edited:
I get it. Old(ish) thread, but I re-read it again today, and I wonder what your fine folks thoughts on pack material/style are and why. I seem to read that more of you prefer (or use) non water proof packs and stuff a variety of dry-bags inside. Others use large dry-packs (Eureka, MEC) to start with and presumably omit stuffing the gear in yet other dry bags, but perhaps cloth bags for organizational purposes.

I use waterproof dry bags, manufactured versions; typically a large 115L bag with shoulder straps and hip belt, sometimes smaller ones with straps and belts. Always a blue barrel or Cur-tec drum of some size for food storage, and always some custom made heat sealable DIY dry bags for ThermaRest pad, camp chair or even tapered stem bags. The assortment and selection depends on the type of trip, but they are all “waterproof” (ok, no roll top dry bag is truly waterproof in a long duration pin), if a gaudy mix of red and blue and yellow vinyl.

For a large shoulder harness and waist belt dry bag pack I am happy with the Sealline Pro Pack. The suspension is well designed and well padded comfortable, and the thick, puncture resistant bottoms are 600D 17oz polyurethane-coated polyester.

https://www.seallinegear.com/packs-duffels/pro-dry-pack/pro-dry-pack.html

Most of the gear inside those “waterproof” dry bags is stored in another bag, maybe a loose pair of camp shoes stuffed on top, but otherwise tent in a tent bag, clothes and sleeping bag in coated compression stuff sacks. I’ve never put a dry bag inside another dry bag, the coated compression bags are, uh, “water resistant”, and I’ll sometimes put a garage bag inside the sleeping bag sack for triple protection.

While I appreciate the look and long proven design of Duluth/Frost River/etc canvas bags and packs, all of my boats are Royalex or composite, my paddles are often carbon and my clothing largely synthetic, so the aesthetic purity of using traditional bags in a wood canvas canoe, clad in wool, wearing a red toque and sash with leather boots is already lacking.

I did see an intriguing pack design on a trip last year, a very large (at least 100L or more), very rectangular (even when standing empty) pack with shoulder straps and waist belt. IIRC the outer bag material was some thick Packcloth material and it had a waterproof inner liner.

In design it looked a lot like the CCS Food Pack, but the big version from CCS is 4968 cubic inches, which is 81 liters and the one I saw was definitely larger; the dimensions seemed wider and deeper (but less tall) than my 115L dry bag.

https://www.shop.cookecustomsewing.com/product.sc?productId=6&categoryId=3

Functionally I really liked the way the rectangular shape fit in a canoe, with no cylindrical bag space waste, and even more the way it stood upright and unfloppy. Anyone have a clue about the manufacturer/make/model of such a thing?

My goal is to cover every ancient canoe trail in Maine. and I've done some doozies. We all have different styles, but I like to solo a 16' boat like the Mad River kevlar Explorer. Used to use Royalex, but I'm old now. Couple of 12' poles clipped in, plus we all need the bailer clipped in, swinging like a metronome as we trudge down the trail. Ropes etc. tied in, but more than that makes it hard to pick up. Second load is a 115 liter pro-pack, as has been suggested by many, a 5 gallon screw-top bucket in 1 hand and that danged 16 pound portage cart that won't work on this trail in the other hand. The paddles are strapped to the back of the pro pack. Pick up the canoe, mark off 200 paces, drop it and rest on the way back for the other load. Pick that up, pass the canoe and go 200 more paces. Leapfrog like that till the end. Snacks are usually in the bucket so be sure to grab one each time. I usually swill down as much water as possible at that stop too. Thirsty work! I plan on 2 pounds of dried food per day, so two weeks weighs 10 more pounds than one.

I tried that knupac once, but what with an 85 pound royalex boat and another 80 pound of gear, I was leaving footprints in the rock. I managed about 100 feet until I came to a tree fallen across the trail at about eyeballs height. The End. Good night Irene.

Back