No announcement yet.

legal requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid law - registering canoes. A tax to cover costs that should be covered by a 100 other taxes and fees I pay. And yes, they check. I'm now only registering my non-tripping boats.

Law says you need a PFD in the boat, but I wear mine, so do the dogs.

Comment

Here Transport Canada requires all paddle craft to have on board a safety kit that includes :
      - a bailing device ( cup, pump, sponge)
      - a 50' floating recovery rope
      - an audible signaling device (whistle, or other)
      - a visual signaling device (flashlight, or other)
      a paddle craft operating after dark must display a white light with a 360° visual.
      a properly sized PFD must be available for every person on board ( not sure if this is " a must wear" command tho)
      They also strongly recommend a first aid kit, compas, signal flares and a vhf radio if lake travel is in your plans.
      No paper registration is required here for paddle craft as far as I know.

Comment

No law in Canada yet forcing one to wear lifejacket just have to have it in boat. I just found out though that for any boat pushed by a motor, even a canoe with a 1.5 kicker, the operator must have a boat license.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Mur View Post
          Here Transport Canada requires all paddle craft to have on board a safety kit that includes :
          - a bailing device ( cup, pump, sponge)
          - a 50' floating recovery rope
          - an audible signaling device (whistle, or other)
          - a visual signaling device (flashlight, or other)
          a paddle craft operating after dark must display a white light with a 360° visual.
          a properly sized PFD must be available for every person on board ( not sure if this is " a must wear" command tho)
          They also strongly recommend a first aid kit, compas, signal flares and a vhf radio if lake travel is in your plans.
          No paper registration is required here for paddle craft as far as I know.
          50’ of rope is a lot of rope, if that is a continuous length, is that typically in the form of a throw bag? Or is two painters now and stern meeting that requirement?
          My canoe can beat up your kayak.

Comment

In PA, Life Jackets...
            A U.S. Coast Guard approved wearable life jacket is required for each person on board. In addition, one throwable device is required on boats 16 feet in length or longer. • Life jackets must be the appropriate size for the persons wearing them. • Life jackets must be appropriate for the activity for which they are worn. See the U.S. Coast Guard approval label for information. • Children 12 years of age and younger must wear an approved life jacket on Commonwealth waters when underway on any boat 20 feet or less in length and in all canoes and kayaks. • All water skiers and anyone towed behind vessels, personal watercraft operators and passengers and sailboarders must wear a life jacket. Inflatable life jackets are not acceptable for these activities. • Wearable life jackets must be “readily accessible” or in the open where they can be easily reached. Throwable devices must be “immediately available” or within arm’s reach. A PFD that is stored in a protective covering or sealed in its original packaging is not readily accessible or immediately available.

MANDATORY COLD WEATHER LIFE JACKET WEAR • From November 1 through April 30, boaters are required by law to wear life jackets on boats less than 16 feet in length or any canoe or kayak. This regulation went into effect in 2012 and is intended to protect boaters from the dangers of cold water shock if they fall into the water. Recreational boating fatalities that occur in Pennsylvania from November through April are primarily due to the effects of cold water immersion. When water temperatures are less than 70 degrees F, cold water shock is a major factor in boating fatalities. Victims who wear a life jacket when exposed to cold water have potentially life-saving advantages such as insulation from the cold, buoyancy for victims who are unable to tread water and reduced risk of aspiration of water. In an effort to reduce the number of fatalities related to cold water immersion, PFBC has amended regulations to require life jackets to be worn on small and unstable boats during the period most noted for cold water temperatures.

I did not know about the winter mandatory life jacket. I always were mine

See: Reference
            Last edited by Big Al; 09-12-2019, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Waterdog, Yup- 50' of "buoyant heaving line" so basically a standard throwbag, also the bailer must be a minimium of 750ml (just shy of a quart). you can buy a "rescue kit" that contains everything you need for about 15 bucks- the bucket is your bailer and contains a floating rope, whistle, and flashlight. sponges don't count as a bailer.

Comment

Thanx scoutergriz for the clarification on the sponge thing. I misread the regs

Comment

Working...
                X