Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I pole. Therfore I am."
    Often bespoke by an unstable man.
    "Because it is there." I oft take that stand.
    (Though my position will wobble trying to float with my plan.)

So I can rise from my rocker,
    most often uneven keel.
    And then I roll with the fishes,
    over stepping on heel.

To slide slip the sluice.
    To climb up on ledge.
    Till in aggressive step-out,
    I go over the edge.

To deal with the misses,
    when she gives me rebuttal.
    "Dear, downriver to meet me?"
    "No! I'm not setting shuttle!"
    Last edited by canoeswithduckheads; 08-16-2019, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Well CWDH, I don't write in prose as you but I like hitting my local river and poling about a mile upstream to a beach and sand cliffs on the opposite shore just for a workout, need it these days. Other days I will take the Rob Roy, hey, it's a canoe!

Plus the positive side is no shuttle as you mention (I think). It means a solo trip and sometimes that is the best way to spend an afternoon or a week or more. I like standing tall going upstream or down but snubbing IMO is much harder to do then ascending. I've poled a lot of places and it's all part of the trip. Upstream or down it's all a good time!

dougd
      Last edited by dougd; 08-18-2019, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Comment

This isn't why I got my pole but it is what I needed it for. The pole was an efficient way to get through or over ice and much safer than a paddle. My lake had froze and thawed twice by January last year. I would have missed out on several days of paddling without it, along with regular otter sightings I enjoyed. They seemed to be less illusive when there is ice on the lake.

Comment

Here's one for you. Carp and Ethan and me after we held a poling clinic for NFCT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW0sRt_olM8 Mostly it's Carp showing us all how it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddlinhal View Post
              Here's one for you. Carp and Ethan and me after we held a poling clinic for NFCT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW0sRt_olM8 Mostly it's Carp showing us all how it's done.
              Thanks, that was entertaining.

Good ole Mad River Explorer, my first real canoe.

I used to pole it with my three-way propulsion set that I designed and Carlisle Paddles made for me. There were two canoe paddles that you could pop-button the grips off. Then I had oar handles that could pop-button onto the canoe blades to make six foot oars. Then I had a long center piece made that would become a 12' pole when the oar handles were pop-buttoned on each end of the center piece.

Comment

When I first met Carp he was a doughboy, 2003?. Now he is probably the strongest and best poler I know. I think mostly because he embraced it like no one else. He sure makes it look easy!

Comment

I really enjoyed that video! Now poling is on the "list"!

Comment

I have owned an OT Guide 18 for many years. I was reading Garret Conover one night and the light came on. This boat was made for poling. Flat bottom, beamy and long.
                    I took it the local reservoir and paddled over to the inlet for the LIttle Truckee River. It was a big rock garden with around 400 cfs, not too much gradient. I had a blast and think that I could now pole for real, but on big western rivers it is mostly all down hill with no portages.
                    Forester

Comment

I love polling, but don't do it often enough, and so I'm not really good at it, but I really enjoy it! I would love to find a longer, flatter bottom, beamier canoe to try out. I love going up streams and sloughs wile hunting moose poling and having that much more vison.

Comment

Working...
                      X