• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Photo of the day

Reaction score
I usually log in to this site every morning as I have my coffee and get ready to head to work. I really enjoy when someone has posted some nice images or trip reports to read to get my day started in the right frame of mind.

I was thinking it might be cool if we posted one photo a day, something canoe related, with a little description to go with it. Keeping it to one a day means that most of us could probably post for a long time, and there would be something new to see each morning.

Anyway, here is my first offering.

This was taken in 2008, early October. It was our usual first school trip of the year, down to the Steel River. The morning was quite cold, the water was still warm, and it was a pea-souper. Fog blew off in about an hour, but it was sure beautiful for that one hour of paddling.

I usually log in to this site every morning as I have my coffee and get ready to head to work. I really enjoy when someone has posted some nice images or trip reports to read to get my day started in the right frame of mind.

I was thinking it might be cool if we posted one photo a day, something canoe related, with a little description to go with it. Keeping it to one a day means that most of us could probably post for a long time, and there would be something new to see each morning.

Anyway, here is my first offering.

This was taken in 2008, early October. It was our usual first school trip of the year, down to the Steel River. The morning was quite cold, the water was still warm, and it was a pea-souper. Fog blew off in about an hour, but it was sure beautiful for that one hour of paddling.

In that album about four distant pictures..what is the toweled guy grumping about? Sorry I kind of watched the whole album.

Reactions: Tom
Great idea Memaquay. Looking forward to a daily pic of canoeing over the winter months.

LOL Kim....that guy ran the program at the school before me for about 30 years. He's a very special kind of guy, I think I'm the only one left who will still go on a trip with him due to his curmudgeonly ways. He is a slave to his routines, one of them being his canoeing costume. I could tell a million stories, but that's for a different thread.

Curmudgeonly teachers, wow. I had one once. Everyone was scared silly of the old coot. So was I. One day while he was full of bluff and bother he strode to the front of the class and spun round glaring at us. Everyone hunkered down, afraid to look him in the eye. I thought I saw something though, and met him eye to eye, and then I saw it. A smile! The old sun of a gun was all bark and no bite. He was having us on. I kept his secret. Years later I met and spoke with another teacher who took me into his confidence. Apparently every summer the teachers had a BBQ party, and that old curmudgeon was the rip roaring life of every party!
I love the picture Memequay, I can feel the solitude.

This is me in Alaska this past summer. Extra credit for identifying the canoe model.

Lake+Eklutna2%252C+Alaska.jpg

Wow, Alaska, that's a dream for me! I'll just take a wild guess, looks pretty big and kind of green...an Old Town Tripper?

I do think the original intent was a picture a day.. overall.. not one from each of us per day. Do I have that right?

Oh Rippy, you're a bad boy! Ya, the wedding was the event on G Town for the summer. We're kind of like the Partridge Family, my wife sings, my son plays lead guitar, and my two brothers from another mother are on the drums and bass. We played for an hour and a half or so, best wedding yet!

Anyway, as far as rules go for picture posting, I wasn't thinking there weren't any rules, everyone can post a pic a day, make as many as possible!

Last edited:
Back