No announcement yet.

Photo of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stripperguy looks gorgeous. As a general question, how risky would you consider crossing a beaver dam?

Comment

Originally posted by sailsman63 View Post
      stripperguy looks gorgeous. As a general question, how risky would you consider crossing a beaver dam?
      Very low risk, but I also invest in sector funds and IPO's...in all seriousness, I sometimes cross 20 or 30 dams in a day trip, so I am very comfortable on dams of all sizes.
      Ultimately, it depends on the size of the beaver dam and whether in a tandem or solo boat, and whether loaded with gear or empty on a day trip.
      Most smaller dams can be paddled over if there's enough water. Going upstream on smaller dams is as easy as shifting weight aft (tandem or solo) and allowing the bow to ride up the dam as far as possible. From that point, either another weight shift or a step onto the dam gets the boat to the upstream side.
      Bigger dams are best traversed out of the boat, and from the side, that goes for solo or tandem, upstream of down.

Most beaver dams have sufficient foot holds so walking on the dam is easy enough, especially with a paddle in your hand to act like a 3rd contact point for better balance.

Here's a link to a short video of that same beaver dam traverse, my nephew and his GF eventually turn their boat to enter from the side. You can see how unstable the boat is as it's rocking with the stem still on the dam

https://photos.app.goo.gl/svdXfwbBDJVQk73s1
      See stripperguy's photos

Comment

stripperguy Thanks! I'll probably consider traversing dams in the future, but given the situation with my bow paddler, it's probably good that I didn't push it on that trip. Certainly would not have been able to float over at the current water level.

For any curious souls, I got at least a tentative answer to the 'cloudy water' situation.

I spoke with a local friend who knows the lake, and is a much more serious fisherman than I will ever be. He reminded me that it's spawning season, and that the area in question is the most sheltered spot in the lake. The cloudiness is from (truly impressive quantities of) milt suspended in the water, as pretty much everything finned is making use of the weed beds.

Comment

It was a grey day for a paddle on the ponds; grey skies, grey clouds, even the water was a brackish grey until I put ashore...

Click image for larger version

Name:	grey skies.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	81065

and stepped into the woods. There I found colour along the trail.

Name:	mayapples.jpg
Size:	519.7 KB
ID:	81066

Name:	flowers on trees.jpg
Size:	561.9 KB
ID:	81067

Name:	trilliums.jpg
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	81068

Birdsong and blossom turned a grey day sunny.

Comment

Not all who are lost care..............

Comment

Comment

Got out on the water just before sunrise yesterday at the north end of Whitney point reservoir. A very serene couple of hours...

Comment

1000 mm lens (long tele) on a creek about a km from my home. the McMansion beaver lodge is just upstream. This was taken yesterday.. Hatchlings ought to be soon.. Didn't check today.. Rainy and cold.

Comment

Well done YC. Beautiful photo.

Gerald

Comment

You've got a steady hand, YC. Great shot.

Comment

An early AK paddle last week. It's not very far out, but was a great morning on the lake.

Comment

Nice first post Blackrock.
                          Jim

Comment

All loaded, heading for Maine in the morning.

Name:	IMG_2743.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	553.3 KB
ID:	81896Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2744.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	493.1 KB
ID:	81897

Comment

From a few days ago...

Name:	y4UlLpCNukVptprdl2l13lULqcxWIpB6bK8ei6OqVTDmsOfnJz4wkRyW568HCwHLv3o0hCivYwJWytYNykr0X5GzmLlLtm5zYBJ9ohQ3ZpkIIRIXspZSxABrZV7TPlbPfax3fDeSsmbRbrkcnGXT39QFw_qbfNitlsFqQuVa384IQ9KmvQa7nHjqDqmlTph8B4R7gLmwLnCsQhE_OOon-qjPv73SkxaYaucPydKTw_RoNRVgWRLkmuMHrbpjoG5
Views:	17
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	82161
                              See stripperguy's photos

Comment

A day late.Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_b46.jpeg
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	82170

Comment

Working...