• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BWCA66 View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180217_095014_826.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	423.2 KB
ID:	77195
    That's a cool picture. Was it taken from a bridge or a drone?

Comment

Originally posted by lowangle al View Post

That's a cool picture. Was it taken from a bridge or a drone?
      That was on the Chicago river, bridge shot.
      Not all who are lost care..............

Comment

This week must be Fine Photography Week at Canoetripping.net! Lucky us!! Tony

Comment

My new winter toy. I know this goes against the whole self propelled faction of dedicated masochists, but this thing is more fun than a warehouse full of chestnut canoes.

Comment

Originally posted by memaquay View Post
            My new winter toy. I know this goes against the whole self propelled faction of dedicated masochists, but this thing is more fun than a warehouse full of chestnut canoes.
            You'll poke your eye out kid.

Comment

Originally posted by memaquay View Post
              Well I hope so, it probably cost as much as a small warehouse of Chestnuts, too bad it won't last as long.

Comment

Originally posted by BWCA66 View Post

That was on the Chicago river, bridge shot.
                Now for my next question. Are you hard core, hard up or both? It sure looks interesting though and I'll bet you were the only boat out there.

Comment

Memaquay..........
                  You should at least be towing one of those neat Cree wooden toboggans and have a pair of wood and babiche snowshoes lashed on the back of your snow scooter.
                  "All I had were a few flies tucked into the band of my hat and an a old beaten-up Heddon rod, that had been on many trips." Sigurd F. Olson

Comment

This is a video, interviewing my good friend, Larry Ricker, President of SEMVA Art Gallery. Skip ahead to 9.00 minutes .

Who is that guy in the canoe ?
                    Last edited by Jim Dodd; 02-22-2018, 08:08 PM.
                    Keep your paddle wet, and your seat dry !

Comment

Who says canvas packs aren't comfortable?

Name:	who says canvas packs aren't comfy?.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	77671

Comment

Cat Tested

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Unnamed lake.JPG Views:	1 Size:	70.3 KB ID:	78107

A cold stiff breeze kept us in the sun and out of the wind at camp. Gusts made travel uninviting, but not so much as to keep me from day paddling and exploring. This was an unnamed lake touched by road and trail, but not on any thru canoe route I've seen. Far far prettier than I could've guessed just scouring a map. Our stay here reminded me that even treasures can be found where you least expect to find them.
                          Last edited by Odyssey; 03-12-2018, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Some old deck plates.

Name:	deck plates .jpg
Views:	17
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	78975

Comment

From a half frozen Rock Lake (ADK near Indian) trip 2 weeks ago

Name:	TujSpMui3rWmx6VFE1OgBOYZUeyp2qZbWnFx6FPnJvEDFFeqgCJ2HOnxH-GXF2k01WmjD2m8F0XOGiFIverNZxCdvw8-Dv5CigYt945d0GIumb0bYemP3MSviMlpH_EEdFIqzSTo3MV51ZDuUxRy88X1zyqFFsX0rFHg7zW9KvgHyWWixnExNqtnkD8Ho6pNW5DPLIidykDTS7G1hZFl6p0pb7Jx3wgi05Mje7thVdrRigNskxt6spxmfBH11tR
Views:	18
Size:	319.5 KB
ID:	80873
                              See stripperguy's photos

Comment

Name:	(scaled)20180518_154230.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	80880

A nice day and my schedule finally lined up, so I played hooky from my latest build (Thread to follow!) Just a little day-paddle on a local lake with my mom. Thought I'd explore the inlet a bit, but apparently someone had been doing some engineering... Total of about 3 miles round trip.

I'd have been tempted to traverse, but it did not seem to be a good idea at the time.

To get there, though, we had to traverse what looked like the "Dangerous Water" from every horror flick ever:

Name:	(Scaled)20180518_154849.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	457.3 KB
ID:	80881

Anyone seen this happen before? The water appeared to have something in suspension, far too fine to be sand or silt. Later in the year, the weeds here will get so thick that it reminds one of the legends of the Sargasso Sea, as you essentially pole against the weeds. I suspect that the bottom in this entire area acts something like a peat bog, as there are frequent 'bubble geysers,' what I'd estimate at about about 1 - 1.5 liters gas volume at a time...

The lake Downstream from this is your typical low-flow lake: plenty of suspended flora to support a healthy fish population, but still something that people swim in.
                                The water Upstream flows a little faster over a shallow (3" or less) sandbar as it enters the lake. (around 300 feet to the channel and dam in the first picture, most in the open lake) That section is crystal clear, with some bright green filamentous algae clinging to the bottom.

It was in this section that we met the engineer... Sorry, no pictures, but we actually ran over something Mammalian. It turn around, and ran into (Or slapped?) us again, and then decided that it had better to hide from something our size.

Comment

Working...
                                X