• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Photo of the day

I didn’t have no Zav when I was 8.

Yeah, that wasn't quite the plan. We were going to stop on the way up north to find him a small paddle for himself but nowhere had canoe paddles.

I expect that was a very good day.

Yes and no. We spent 3 days on the river. The plan was to spend a lot of time swimming, fishing, and playing around in the river during the day but the water had come way up due to recent rains and the river was running bank full. No islands, no sandbars, no fish, and very little shoreline suitable for walking around (and the mosquitoes were bad). So it was long days (for an 8 year old) paddling from camp to camp.

But he did great in spite of that. We both had a good time and he wants to do it again.

20200818_005 by Alan, on Flickr

Alan

PhotoS of the day hahaha...

Attachments

• 7635947A-DAF4-488E-8A35-3AB6EE34A762.jpeg
    7635947A-DAF4-488E-8A35-3AB6EE34A762.jpeg
    317.2 KB · Views: 1
  • E6524C3E-6480-4C5F-8DEA-A6B70CA989F6.jpeg
    E6524C3E-6480-4C5F-8DEA-A6B70CA989F6.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 9901318E-C7C6-4455-BA11-01BFF26B1937.jpeg
    9901318E-C7C6-4455-BA11-01BFF26B1937.jpeg
    435.9 KB · Views: 1
To keep the red canoes going...here is my Langford with the first coat on it. yepp, thats right, a Red Langford...lol.

Attachments

• photo17105.jpg
    photo17105.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 0
I think he'll make a good guide.

20200912_114729[1] by Alan, on Flickr

Yeah, bought a motor boat today. Think we already got our $250 worth of fun from it. The rest is pure profit.

Alan

He’s definitely going to be a guide...I could tell when I saw that guide size coffee mug in his hand next to his oatmeal bowl. He’s good to go!:)

Up early for breakfast on Attean Pond, Maine.

DSCF0647scaled.JPG

When you see those little wavelets coming out of the mist a half an hour before sunrise, someone is telling you it's time to go.

Foreground, priming the Svea 1-2-3.

lowangle al

Congrats on your anniversary!!! Our 30th is cumming up next month ... she does not canoe ... I guess I gotta get something else ... bummer! Yours is magnificent!

Bob.

This is my wife’s 30th anniversary present.
That looks suspiciously like your present to yourself.
I hope my wife appreciates her new gun at Christmas time, lol.

Here's what we have been doing the last couple of weeks.
HJecMLx.jpg

Great picture, made me homesick. There are ruffed grouse in interior Alaska most years few and far between in my area. For most of my "adult" life I have taken my vacation time to return in the autumn to my childhood home in Northern Minnesota to hunt ruffed grouse and fish for take your pick (squaretails, speckled or brook trout). I have a bunch of stuff stashed behind a bachelor friends couch, 20 gauge double barrel shotgun, sleeping bags, tent cook kit, axe, saw, tent, wood stove, fly and spinning rods. I camp out on my father's (now mine) 143 acre subsistence farm for a bit, then relocate to my secret lake.
Really like seeing the red and gray phase of your grouse.

We do have a few ruffle up here too, but not many!! And we also have some blue grouse!! The blue I saw only twice in 24 years up here!m, big chicken for sure!!

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
​ Thanks for the well wishes for my anniversary. I will say that my wife was solidly behind the purchase. My other w/c boats are at least as old as me, this one from the nineties was only in the water 3 times and is in immaculate like new condition and my wife deserves that.

Back