• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Photo of the day

YC,
Is there anything inherent in the dacron covering that would make the canoe lighter? Less or no filler perhaps? Do you know what cloth weight (oz/ft) your friend uses?
Regards,
Dave

Cedar and canvas canoes are not as fragile as you might think. Most are damaged from being left upside down on the ground for a few years and the ends rot.

Late Fall at Long Lake has traditionally been a wind and rain whipped paddle to the Raquette River over the last 8 years. My boat is wood/Dacron too to save weight. The weight savings is indeed in the fabric at 3.7 oz. YC may know more about the filler, but I suspect it is lighter too as it is described as being sprayable. This boat is 16' and 58 lbs. When ready for repairs, I will add half ribs which will absorb some of the weight savings. I hope to get a nice solo like YC soon...just can't find room right now.

Very sweet canoe. I beleive I got my plans for a cedar strip Pal from Stewart River. Have built two or three of them. What design is that canoe?

YC,
Is there anything inherent in the dacron covering that would make the canoe lighter? Less or no filler perhaps? Do you know what cloth weight (oz/ft) your friend uses?
Regards,
Dave

There is a filler over the dacron. The dacron is Ceconite. 3.5 oz square yard.

http://www.ceconite.com/

One of the joys is the fabric does not cause the paint to check. There are several coats of marine enamel and the bottom is finished by Krylon flat spray paint for a scuff patch. Marine enamel is not required. Some people paint their boats with Rustoleum.

Dacron is way less cushioned than canvas so there isn't any give in the fabric when you bump into things. Its relatively hard to cut.
Ceconite is a heat shrink fabric. You literally iron it on the boat, rather than stretching it. No more grunt work!

Ha ha, you're right Kim, there's a couple of weird things in that pic...it was day one of a ten day trip, lots of newbies. I have no idea how or why that paddle is stuck like that, it could be that I threw it at him after he forgot it on shore or something. If you look at the canoe in the background, you'll notice an axe standing straight up too...ahhh, first days......that canoe is a good solo, I used it as my primary solo between the demise of the Osprey and the building of the Raven. You're right, there is not much rocker in it, but solo it heeled over nice. It looks kind of strange in that pic because it's popping a wheelie. The kid in the back is not that big, maybe 150 pounds, but the goblin in the front was about 90 pounds soaking wet. That night we gave everyone nicknames from the Lord of the Rings, the little guy in the front became known for ever after as Gollum.

Memaquay,

That boat is a 16' Prospector. I liken it to a tugboat on flat water when loaded. Very maneuverable in swift water though. That design is my favorite all rounder though.

Yellowcanoe,

The SR Traveler is the one I have my eye on for a solo, but I really like the Bearwood Canoe Gerrish too. Even without my dog I've got some weight to bear on week+ canoe trips. The traveler looks like it would be similar to my Bell Rockstar, which is a good solo boat without the dog but not as fun as a wildfire or Yellowstone solo.

Barry

I remember the WCHA Assembly when Pam Wedd and Tom Mackenzie went out to fondle by moonlight.... an old 14 foot Gerrish. They were hiding in shadows to try to keep their spying discreet. Then a gang of a few was organized and yo they were all driving some 350 miles to DY's place to loft the hull . They were carrying on like kids who had found treasure. Pam did build one after that inspiration in two stem heights. Really pretty boats.

She left out some details but the write up is here

http://www.bearwoodcanoes.com/ under Gerrish and Cherish

Old Town Guide 119

Old Town Guide 119

Here's the canoe that got me back into paddling. A Dick's Sporting Goods sold Old Town Guide 119.

PeconicRiverJune2013-37.jpg by Hansen.Dougie, on Flickr

11'9" solo with a kayak seat that I mostly paddled with a double blade kayak paddle. It made me realize how much I missed getting outside with nature and paddling.

In the photo it's sitting by the DEC Launch on The Peconic River located on Mill Rd in Calverton, NY.

This is in the BWCA a couple years ago. I had taken my Dad along at the last minute for his 65th birthday. The picture is on Upper Pawness lake. My dog is intently listening to a pack of wolves howling about 200 yards across the bay. After about 45 minutes, it got to the point where I decided it was in her best interests to get leashed up to a tree as night settled in. I told her "No Bark", and she remained silent all night.

Hanz...my first canoe was a sportspal, those thin skinned aluminum ones, painted to look like birch bark, and lined with styrofoam on the inside. Think it was 12 feet long and five feet wide. You rOld Town Guide is a racing hull compared to the sports pal. Me and two friends ran it down a swollen river in March when we were 15. There was a tree standing upright in the middle of the river. We broadsided it, and the canoe folded like an accordion, and wrapped around the tree. We had all grabbed the branches of the tree over top of us, and as the current folded and wrapped thane, our boots were sucked right off our feet. We managed to unwrap it and had to drag it through the snow in our sock feet for about a mile to get it home. Banged that canoe out with a rubber mallet, put some roofing tar on it and kept using it for a few more years.

Waterdog - I think I would have had Fido in the tent with me. The wolves up here are incredibly bold, and they pick off many town dogs every year, usually in the winter. Dogs that are tied up outside are their favorite targets, cause they can't run away. When I snowshoe in the winter with a dog, I always carry a gun, the wolves have tried to ambush my dogs on the trail a few times.

Thought I would post this pic to show you guys our method of camping with the kids. We still use prospector tents. They are indestructible, and you can fit 12 or 13 kids in a tent. Some people have taken umbrage with our use of poles that have been cut from the bush around us, however, we are on Crown Land that is seldom used. In the pic above, I cut 18 cedar poles for two tents 9 years ago. The site in the pic is the one we use every year for our first trip. When we leave, the poles are all lugged back to a really big spruce tree, and stored vertically underneath the tree. I expect they will outlast me. If you are travelling on Crown Land in Northern Ontario and happen to see a bunch of poles standing vertically under a tree, please don't use them for firewood. We've had that happen a couple of times.

Taken in the spring

Fqg1GpC.jpg

Memaquay, I do the same thing with poles, storage-wise. I'm on someone else's land that I lease for hunting (and camping), but it's similar... if I leave them on the ground, they will rot in a few months. Upright, they season hard and will last awhile.

Crazy story, Memaquay! A mile through the snow without shoes? I always thought that line was reserved for walking to school ;-)

I won't touch any poles I find.

Cool photos, I dig this thread.

Wow, I thought I was the only one to have paddled one of those aluminum birch bark paint jobs! This one had Styrofoam bumper noodly things on the sides. It belonged to a neighbor I worked for every summer, and he let his daughter, and me lug it to a nearby lake. It may have been an ugly canoe, but paddling up a backwater creek was heaven! That was when I fell in love. (With canoeing, not her. She was cute, but hey, the canoe thing was way bigger than hormones.) Anyway.
That’s a pretty spot to put in Hanz. It’d be easy to fall in love with that.
Those prospector tents would be perfect for big groups. Do you use them for school trips Memequay? It must feel satisfying, teaching those more traditional methods of camping and travelling; over shock corded poles and rubber back packs.
A canoe journey would be a perfect way to share days, and nights, with a faithful companion. I envy you all who have dogs.

Back