• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Photo of the day

Dreaming of the 2015 start.... A shot from my Caddy Lake, Manitoba trip

July%2012-13-14%20144_1_zpszivo7bcw.jpg

If I may post a modest offering...100_3546.JPG

Cox hollow lake, Governor Dodge State Park, Wisconsin sometime last summer.

The bucket is an early attempt at trimming a tandem canoe to ride well solo. I have since graduated to a pair of 50# sandbags.

No Title

This is in the BWCA a couple years ago. I had taken my Dad along at the last minute for his 65th birthday. The picture is on Upper Pawness lake. My dog is intently listening to a pack of wolves howling about 200 yards across the bay. After about 45 minutes, it got to the point where I decided it was in her best interests to get leashed up to a tree as night settled in. I told her "No Bark", and she remained silent all night.

That is so beautiful.

Attachments

• photo1899.jpg
    photo1899.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 0
4 Chestnuts wood canvas canoes from a past "Downeast" Maine trip, a 18' Prospector, 17' Prospector, and two Chums in the back.

I notice that several of us have small pics accompanied by a blue box "1 photo ". We must be Mac users with iphoto.

This may be just a tad off-topic but it seems relevant.

Time to start planning for the 2020 trip - when the kid's five years old.
DaveWalt3-29-15LR.jpg

Last edited:
Yea, I have a one year old grandson - what a thrill it would be if someday I could take him to a place to hear the wolves.

Lovely. Where is that pic taken?

I think it was around Pocumcus Lake on a wind shortened trip.

Philtrum said "Time to start planning for the 2020 trip - when the kid's five years old."

Lots of first time camping plans for my Grandchildren this season, even planning a easy "canoe in" camp with my 5 & 4 year old G'sons in Maine with my daughter and her husband.

Congratulations Phil to you and yours; such a beautiful new addition to your paddling crew.
We have a 1 year old g'son. At the moment he's interested in anything that's within reach and not nailed down. Someday I hope he'll be interested in canoe camping. Maybe grandma and I can do something about that.

47696_471093810419_7359084_n.jpg As long as we're talking grandchildren, here's my favorite picture of my grandkids 1st BWCA trip at age 3 a couple of years ago.

As long as we're talking grandchildren, here's my favorite picture of my grandkids 1st BWCA trip at age 3 a couple of years ago.

Very nice, my twin sons where 7 before I took them into the back country via canoe, fond memories;)

These 2 aren't twins but rather cousins very close to the same age. I did have one of my sons with too to help out. Didn't go in too far and stayed on an island so they couldn't get too lost!

No Title

Pool session, Sophie was 7 months old on her first 10 day trip. She is now 7 years old, and a great bow partner for ww runs or for trips!!

Attachments

• photo1916.jpg
    photo1916.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo1919.jpg
    photo1919.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 1
I'll add a little maritime content here...

Miramichi

This was taken about 10 yrs ago. Early May trip down the Miramichi River in New Brunswick. Take note of the snow still on the far bank... brrrrr. Shot is taken at Burnt Hill rapids, google it will provide some nice videos of others riding the waves.

Canoe was an old Blue Hole OCV Prowler, the only canoe I ever regretted selling.

Snowing out right now.... calendar says spring but you would never know it this year.

JP

Last edited:
Back