• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Photo of the day

No Title

That's how I did it - emptied my retirement account! Got to get your priorities straight. :(

For that particular river I do not know a cheap way. There might be a way if you had all summer. Need to get yourself and a boat and gear to Horton Lake not far from Great Bear Lake. Its about 50 miles (or maybe kilometers?) to the northeast of Great Bear. The way we did it is to fly commercial to Norman Wells, then charter to Horton Lake. On the way out we flew charter from a gravel bar near the mouth (Anderson Bay) to Inuvik and then commercial from Inuvik south.

But there are trips up north that can be done fairly inexpensively if you have an entire summer - teachers do it that way. The Thelon for example could be done by driving to Yellowknife, paddling on Great Slave to the east end to the river (can't remember the name right now) that puts you ultimately on the Thelon - Hanbury maybe? Then paddle to the community of Baker Lake where there is commercial air service to get you back south. Here is a shot of the Thelon - a spot called The Gap -if I remember correctly.

BTW - your Golden is gorgeous. I have one could be a twin. Best dog I've ever had.

Attachments

• photo562.jpg
    photo562.jpg
    691 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
No Title

photo681.jpg photo681.jpg Cranberry Lake, Adirondacks, August, 2008, just before I got engaged.

Last edited:
No Title

photo688.JPG Raquette River, Raquette River, ADKs, 2012

Last edited:
Thanks. Yep, I am a lucky guy.

015.JPG

Mouth of the Sassafras River, Maryland, from the stern seat of the Spirit II, a few weeks ago.

Dave,
Thanks for the photo. I grew up in Maryland and spent every weekend at the Bay back in the days before a/c. The Sassafras R was a favorite spot because the fresh water kept the jellyfish out even in late summer. I left there in 1972 and headed West where I belong.

Those are all straight out of the camera...no messing, no fooling with them at all. The polarizing filter has a lot to do with it, and it was a particularly nice day!!

Of course, not every shot is a keeper...but with the right exposure and lighting, some of them aren't too bad.
Back when I shot and developed slide film exclusively, I had to be very selective about my bracketing, and then wait a few days to see if I "got lucky".
But now, I just keep my display set to "highlight" and make sure I don't have any blocked up highlights, most shots are from -0.7 to -2.0 stops underexposed.

DSC_3089.JPG

And less than ideal lighting...still nice enough (I think), but it just doesn't have the same "pop" as some others.
But it does capture the feel of the brook that we paddled.

DSC_3060.JPG

OK, one last photo, I hope no one minds!

DSC_3038.JPG

Living on Long Island, NY I sometimes paddle protected waters in bays, harbors and marshes. Here's a photo from Friday's paddle:

ScallopPond-23.jpg

Here's the GPS track from that paddle, 5.8 miles total.

ScreenShot2014-08-29at92650PM.png

Hanz,
Kind of cool...we had friends of friends that had a beach house near there, right at the mouth of Peconic Bay. We would leave the protected confines of their mini-bay and venture out in a little sunfish sailboat. It got pretty big, pretty fast!!

SG, It really does get pretty big, pretty fast. We, my Girlfriend and I, had excellent weather a little wind and tide - rode the tide in and paddled against it on the way back. Somehow, the wind shifted so it seemed like it was always against us. We discussed venturing into the bay on the return trip for a little leg around that triangle shaped island but decided against it. Probably would have seen more wind and waves.

Here's a track from the mouth of the Peconic River out into the start of Peconic Bay and back:

PeconicBayTrack.png

No Title

Attean Pond, preparing to portage to Holep Pond, Moose River Bow Trip Maine

Attachments

• photo809.jpg
    photo809.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 0
Holy cow L'Oiseau, how'd you train that chipmunk to canoe with you? Sure beats having them sneak into your food packs at night.

Holy cow L'Oiseau, how'd you train that chipmunk to canoe with you? Sure beats having them sneak into your food packs at night.

Haha! I was waiting for that comment... or rat, bat, fox...

I gotta tell you that one steals more food than the bears or chipmunks.

Best part is when I have to carry her it's only 7 extra lbs. How's that for UL camping :p

No Title

photo813.JPG photo813.JPG
The Flow, off Rainbow Lake, Adirondacks, last week. No filter - that's about how it looked.

Back