• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Canoe tripping "Street View"

Reaction score
Several years ago a good friend introduced me to Google Street View. She liked to virtually walk down New York City streets and revisit her brother's neighbourhood. I'm a little hooked on this now. I virtually walk down streets and roads I've known over the years, and explore new ones. A brother of mine also goes for these virtual walks, and occasionally keeps me caught up on changes in old neighbourhoods. "Say Brad, you should see what they've done with the place!" As pleasant as urban and country strolls are, what I'd really like to do is go for a virtual canoe trip. I know that canoe trip reports full of photos, video and day to day diary is excellent, I revisit those all the time. But what might be interesting would be a full canoe route recorded in quiet video camera mode. Including the portages would be vital, but perhaps not every campsite moment. I guess the days should be edited and reduced down to an hour or so. Perhaps the many hours of a full trip might become boring, and cabin fever could be taking it's toll on me this morning, but a "Street View" canoe trip is somewhere I'd like to be right now - virtually.
What do you think?

NO! I hate the idea .. The general public says I have been there and done that . Now no need to explore. We have heard of that before..
here is a still version of one
http://www.portagestore.com/virtual_canoe_trip_2011.html#

I am so thankful I live in boring country and am not subject to Street View and all its intrusions. I want to run around a campsite without intrusions from anyones camera or drone.

Okay, I guess my "street view" description was a poor one. I'm not suggesting the actual SV gang head out to the woods to invade our canoe routes. I am suggesting a different approach and technology to trippers recording their own trips. What interests me about SV is the interactive ability to stop and look around 360 at any given time en route. That's all.
Seeing a route from a drone's bird's eye view doesn't interest me. Pretty and captivating for a moment, but I'd rather paddle a route than fly it.

If you like street views, there is an online "game" called Geoguessr. A random street view comes up and you need to guess where in the world it is. My son and I play it once in a while, I got within 400 yards on a guess on a view in Norway.
Jim

Last edited:
I wonder if there is a camera that could reproduce "street view" effect at a canoe tripper friendly, compact enough to be able to bring on trips, light enough that you would actually bring it on trips, and cheep enough that you can still go on trips...

On another canoe site they did a thing called virtual trips. Someone picks a route that numerous paddlers have done and then everyone post pictures and dialog as the virtual trip moves along the proposed route. With a lot of contributions you end up close to a street view. Another way to think canoes during the off season.

I kinda like the idea. Whether a camera will be developed in our tripping lifetime to capture a SV of what a tripper sees from his or her canoe is anyones guess, I would enjoy it.
The quality of trip reports from amateur's is growing rapidly, I am amazed at some of the shots you see today, and it seems that the only limitations is the equipment available, the talent is out there ready to deliver some amazing stuff.

I think it's only a matter of time before a "drone" is used on a trip report. I would like to see it, but it would probably have to be a pretty remote trip to avoid catching someone at another campsite sitting on a thunder box...:rolleyes:, that would be funny!

No Title

I think it's only a matter of time before a "drone" is used on a trip report. I would like to see it, but it would probably have to be a pretty remote trip to avoid catching someone at another campsite sitting on a thunder box...:rolleyes:, that would be funny!

Maybe so, but I'll be ready for it.

Attachments

• photo1652.jpg
    photo1652.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo1653.jpg
    photo1653.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo1654.jpg
    photo1654.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1
A drone to add another dimension to your trip report is available for your next trip. We had a big outdoor gathering planned for Feb. 2. A person was doing test flights with a 15 inch drone when I arrived. It had a camera and he was practicing so he could control it when there were people under it. I have not seen the pictures yet but am convinced the concept is a purchase away. With some practice I think he could have come in under your tarp.

Pretty sure I read an ad for a 360° video camera just recently. Don't know the price.

I like this idea better anyway. Sounds like fun....

On another canoe site they did a thing called virtual trips. Someone picks a route that numerous paddlers have done and then everyone post pictures and dialog as the virtual trip moves along the proposed route. With a lot of contributions you end up close to a street view. Another way to think canoes during the off season.

A couple years ago Google started a project in which they hiked around with their 40 pound Trekker pack with camera. They captured panoramic views of many places, including hiking trails in the Grand Canyon. This is what made me think of canoe routes. I'm still not sure of the upsides/downsides to this.

Last edited:
A couple years ago Google started a project in which they hiked around with their 40 pound Trekker pack with camera. They captured panoramic views of many places, including hiking trails in the Grand Canyon. This is what made me think of canoe routes. I'm still not sure of the upsides/downsides to this.

Brad,

I think Google should capture the entire world in panoramic splendor.
That way, 99% of the population can sit in their darkened homes, offices and cafes, viewing that which they have no intention of seeing in real life, and thanks to Google, no need to!
The small remainder (that's us) can enjoy the sights, sounds and smells as ever before...

I am beginning to think that these drones are going to be the scourge of modern life.

Back