• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Hand-drawn Maps - Churchill River System

Reaction score
Nice article. I'd like to see where he has coverage and routes they took. Looks like some good detailed info. I'm not sure how this could ever be passed on unless somebody scans the maps and puts them online, or published them into a book. Neither seem likely.

Mark

Thanks for sharing- great article.

Dogbrain: I'm not sure how this could ever be passed on unless somebody scans the maps and puts them online, or published them into a book. Neither seem likely.

I was thinking scanned and online is the way to go- and assuming that he worked for provincial gov't, there might even be a way to get some limited funding to do so. By publicizing it this way almost seems to be what the son is looking for. If not, some sponsorship from Sask paddling community, a personal website or self-published book.

Why do you that is unlikely?

Bruce

The article does provide the son’s (Ralph) email. He invites anyone who would like a copy to contact him. It would be great to have the maps on-line or published. Perhaps I should email Ralph. Give him a link to this forum so that he can see the interest.

Maybe I was being a little pessimistic. It seems there are a lot of maps, from 80 or so trips. The maps shown in the article only appear to cover a few lakes, maybe less than a days travel? Depending on the length of each trip that could be hundreds of maps. I’d love to see them all made available.

Mark

I heard back from Ralph this morning. Here's what he had to say:

Hello Doug,
Thank you for the interest in the maps.
What I am presently doing, is copying any maps off for individuals who are travelling/paddling a certain route in Northern Sk.
They request a certain area, and I check to see if I can oblige.

I'm hoping one day he'll change his mind and send copies to me so I can post them, somehow, on the board.

dougd

I heard from Ralph last night. Same response as yours, Doug.

Hello Michael,
Thank you for the kind email.
At this time, I am copying off maps for individuals who are canoeing routes in Northern Sask this summer.
I don’t have any intention of scanning them all and publishing them in a book.
It would be a great idea...but for me, life is very busy. I just touched land yesterday after being out on my boat in the Pacific Ocean.
The book idea, if and when I retire, just may occur.
Thanks so much, Ralph.

Back