• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Adirondack Gathering October 6,7,8 & 9th- 2017

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in getting together in the Adirondacks sometime in late Sept/early Oct nows a good time to get some ideas in place. I think Little Tupper Lake would be a good destination for the group. Easy put in, no long carry, not a long distance to paddle to some fine campsites along the s/w shore, nice opportunity for decent day trips, easy enough for our Canadian friends to make the trip.
We could stretch it out from mid week to Sunday to give everyone interested an opportunity to come and also a chance to snag some good campsites if we get enough interest.

As of now first weekend of October works for me. I would show up the weekend of oct 6 I think it is.
Lovely place that little Tupper. One of my first ADK trips.

That sounds good to me. I will mark the calendar. It is my favorite time of the year.

Tenatively, I'm in for the ride. Will be doing a 45 mile river trip next weekend, 1st paddling since surgery in Dec. Not sure I'm up to solo so I'm going tandem with a friend. If that goes well, I'll try solo paddling a 30 mile river trip with my grandson's scout trip the following weekend (easy to bail if necessary).

This gettin' old crap ain't for sissys:mad::mad:

I will plan on arriving the 5th and secure a site down on the south west end of the lake. If another site is needed we shouldn't have an issue finding one close by. I know some folks prefer to camp at their own site and visit the gathering which works well also.

FYI
Toronto-Tupper Lake NY 5 1/4 hrs
Montreal- 2 1/2 hrs
Ottawa- 2 1/2 hrs
Geraldon, Ontario 15 hrs
Winnipeg, Mb 25 hrs

I might be able to do this, though I'd prefer a week or so earlier.

I've always wanted to do the Whitney Loop, which begins at Little Tupper and which Dave Cilley's guidebook calls the longest wilderness paddling circuit in the east. However, I really need a 20 pound lighter SRT for the 20+ portages.

Without portages, it appears that you can travel up the outlets to Charlie Pond and Antediluvian Pond, and can paddle all the way into Rock Pond, the first leg of the loop, which also has campsites. I assume there is easy access into Round Lake.

map.jpg

Thanks for the helpful nudge nudge info Robin, lol. This trip looks inviting. I'll mark this on the calendar and hope.

There is a marked put in with parking and unloading right on the road for Round right at the inlet from L Tupper Lake. It can fill quickly but that also tells you how hard it will be to get one of the decent tent sites. Two summers ago, rangers were ticketing overflow parking at the road junction, forcing you to park and paddle at the boat launch area on Little Tupper or park and walk back to Round L put in.

I might be able to do this, though I'd prefer a week or so earlier.

I've always wanted to do the Whitney Loop, which begins at Little Tupper and which Dave Cilley's guidebook calls the longest wilderness paddling circuit in the east. However, I really need a 20 pound lighter SRT for the 20+ portages.

Without portages, it appears that you can travel up the outlets to Charlie Pond and Antediluvian Pond, and can paddle all the way into Rock Pond, the first leg of the loop, which also has campsites. I assume there is easy access into Round Lake.

map.jpg

Glenn,
Only a portion of Charlie Pond outlet is navigable, no matter as a good portion is private land. All of Charlie Pond is posted and private.
And there's no navigable route from LTL to Antediluvian.
Rock Pond is a worthy destination, with only a 50 yard carry around a bony section, a few beaver dams too that vary from year to year.

With enough folks for a car shuttle, parts of the lower Bog can be fun as a downstream only trip.
Likewise for Round Lake Stream.
Neither is fun upstream, especially in the fall, more carrying than paddling.

LTL, and Round Lake are nice destinations, and more so Rock Pond. If there's much wind, get an early start, LTL can get frothy! I was taking waves over the bow at my waist one cold October weekend.

Back