• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Posting Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Paddling Pitt is having an issue with posting pictures from Google Photo's. Before I contact the IT guy I'd like to know if anyone else is having problems with this as well? Please chime in if you are so I can get an idea of what's going on. Thanks All.

dougd

I'm having trouble, but I blame Photo bucket for not resizing properly !

I'm going to try Flicker, I've got a bunch of photos I'd like to share, but frustrated with spending hours trying to get it done !

Jim

I believe it is a Google issue.

I received two batches of trip photos from a friend. A day later I went to forward them to someone and got some message along the lines of “Google virus or security something something is not available”.

When I looked the 21 photos in the first batch, which had been there a day earlier, were no longer all there; I had 14 photos, blank images of a few and the rest were simply gone.

Same with the second batch of photos in another E-mail; originally 16 photos, now I can only see 8 of them.

I just checked again a day later and half of the photos are still missing.

From the IT guy: I looked through some of his posts and he is just using the old linking method. as far as i know that was to be killed off by google.

I'm thinking that this is a google issue and not a site issue. After the Webshots fiasco I switched to saving all my pictures to folders on my desktop and then save them to an external hard drive as I don't trust the hosting sites including Google Photo's where I have many pictures after they axed Picaso. This works remarkably well for me and I don't have to worry about the host messing around making changes behind the scene unannounced.

As for getting the pictures back I do not have an answer.

I also think Google has done something, I posted in HammockForums, got comments on pics, then the links went out ... I went in and refreshed and it worked for a bit.

So it isn't just here.

Brian

I thought using a host site like Google sounded like a good idea and was going to get around to storing pics there eventually. I'm glad my procrastination finally paid off. In the meantime I just slide them over from laptop Photos to Desktop Folder. Uploading from there works for me.

I wonder if there's some software that's no longer supported and is being missed somewhere at the user end?

Last edited:
I thought using a host site like Google sounded like a good idea and was going to get around to storing pics there eventually. I'm glad my procrastination finally paid off. In the meantime I just slide them over from laptop Photos to Desktop Folder. Uploading from there works for me.

I wonder if there's some software that's no longer supported and is being missed somewhere at the user end?

Odyssey,

I have always been able to post pictures using the camera icon on our website, but they uploaded as dimensionally small, like the image posted by Penns Woods above. I prefer the larger image by stripperguy above. That’s why I went first to Flickr, and then to google photos. Stripperguy’s google photo, based on recent history, might, perhaps will, eventually disappear.

What size images do you get by posting from Desktop Folder?

Pitt;
I resize photos right here on CT when uploading them following the Image icon in the Image Properties window. I'm a tech goof not a tech geek, so I'm not very competent in the e-department, hence my simple click and drag approach to my own posting problems. When I write anything to include pics I do so and leave spaces between paragraphs where I'll insert images later. I no longer use Word (because font sizes F with me), just shoot from the hip down in the CT bottom window. I insert pics by choosing what I've previously clicked and dragged onto Desktop, choosing the pics from that folder. I relabel them so I'll better tell them apart in the URL list. Inelegant I'm sure, but I don't always tuck my shirt in nor always wear matching socks, so life here in the slow lane is fine by me. I wish I could help you all with computer savvy troubleshooting but I can't. Don't do as I say and don't do as I do, but if you choose to, whatever you do don't look down at your socks.
Good luck Pitt and don't stress out. Life is way too short for that.

Last edited:
To get full size images to upload to your post, click on the image icon on the bar just above where you are typing text, not the camera icon. It's to the right of font size, and text formatting icons. A window pops up. At the top click on the upload tab. In the new window click on upload file, then find the file on your computer as you normally would and select. Next, you have to click "send file to server". After a couple seconds the origjjnal window pops up with a bunch of various options, but all you have to do is click ok, then the image appears as below. This image is now in your gallery and stored on this site. You can mess with the size once you see the image at the very bottom of the post, but it's a bit fiddly and you have to experiment with it.

Mark

For an example, Here's a picture of a wenonah voyager we picked up in Idaho yesterday. Pretty good shape, one repair only $300! The woman didn't know what she had, I didn't ask any questions about how she came to have it. Maybe I should have.

00Y0Y_hiNFttczCxJ_1200x900.jpg

After the Webshots fiasco I switched to saving all my pictures to folders on my desktop and then save them to an external hard drive as I don't trust the hosting sites including Google Photo's where I have many pictures after they axed Picaso. This works remarkably well for me and I don't have to worry about the host messing around making changes behind the scene unannounced.

Doug’s recommendation of an external hard drive makes much sense, especially if you have suffered through various photo hosting sites going belly up and leaving folks in the lurch. To wit:

Community Webshots was a popular photo hosting site for paddlers. I have several dozen trip albums on Webshots, with captions, a couple thousand photos in all. One well known paddler had hundreds of trips, photo essays and sequential tutorial how-to’s on Webshots, all with captions. Webshot was eventually sold to Hallmark Greeting Cards.

Soon after the sale Webshots simply pulled the plug. If you acted fast enough you managed to get all of your photos back. As a jumbled mass, not in albums, without any captions. I still have a thumb drive with thousands of trip photos, in no order. Thanks a bunch Hallmark, you could at least have sent me a “Sorry for your loss” sympathy card.

Some Webshots users migrated to PhotoBucket, me included; another couple thousand photos uploaded. Photobucket didn’t simply shut down; they held the photos, for lack of a better word, for ransom. IE, $400 a year if you wanted to be able to 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party post photos. That was a big FU for my wallet.

Some folks then migrated to Flickr. I had downloaded another (I know the number) 1700 photos onto a Flickr account, before Flickr decided to cap the free hosted photos at 1000, and delete older ones as newer ones over the 1K limited were uploaded.

Or pay $50 a year for an unlimited Flickr “Pro” account. Yeah, sure, ok, that’s more reasonable, ya got me; I’m not losing everything again. I am not convinced that yearly fee will not rise, or Flickr someday sell out and pull the plug.

Long way of saying that photos loaded to an external hard drive make a lot of sense. And that I do not trust any photo hosting site. Not even Google.

That adage that “Anything you put on the net lives on forever” doesn’t apply to photo hosting sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back