• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Head stone markings ?

Reaction score
Yes I know ! Roll your eyes ! !

My wife and I went Head stone shopping today !

I'm looking for a etching that could be put on a head stone, of a canoe and paddler, maybe paddling away.

Laser etching is pretty spendy, but a sand blasted image is what I'm looking for.

Has anyone else looked for these, or have any ideas for such a thing ?

Thanks !

Jim

I don't really believe in traditional headstones but I'm not rolling my eyes and I quite like your idea.

I would look around at all the images you have (of yourself) or images of others or just something you've seen. As long as the position and perspective of the canoe/paddler are to your liking. The next step is to find an artist who can convert it to a line drawing. I'm thinking somebody who does more on the graphic arts side (eg: logo's) because obviously you don't want anything complex but you do want something that can convey a mood/emotion but with relatively sparse artwork.

Doesn't need to be high priced, a student could handle it or maybe just the "guy down the street" that does logos, letterhead and other similar low cost commercial art. You can even find people online that could do it for you and probably quite cheap.

Thanks recped !

I know a graphics artist here in town I may just ask !

I'd like a scene showing the paddler leaving, kind of a side shot.

Thanks aain !

Jim

I was looking at the logo for this site, besides (for me) that the guy is paddling on the wrong side and from the stern seat in what appears to be a tandem boat. It's along the lines of what I was thinking but for me the angle is wrong (should be more from the rear) and the wake indicates moving at speed whereas I see slow motion as most appropriate for the planned usage. The background is probably too busy for a sandblast but stripped down something like that might work.

Similar to what I want also. Yes more of an angle, no scenery, and no packs.
I'm not sure, but I think that was drawn for Robin.

Jim

When my time comes my kids have specific instructions as to where to place my ashes in the Adirondacks. I know many people still like the idea of a traditional gravesite but I'm not one of them. My Dad decided to be cremated and honestly, it was one of the best gifts he ever gave us. There's no obligation to visit a specific location a couple of times each year to lay flowers, etc. All I need to do to remember him is think of him; regardless of where I may be. That, to me, is a huge gift.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

When my time comes my kids have specific instructions as to where to place my ashes in the Adirondacks. I know many people still like the idea of a traditional gravesite but I'm not one of them. My Dad decided to be cremated and honestly, it was one of the best gifts he ever gave us. There's no obligation to visit a specific location a couple of times each year to lay flowers, etc. All I need to do to remember him is think of him; regardless of where I may be. That, to me, is a huge gift.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I think that is great !

My wife comes from a big family, and I won't get by without at least a marker. We have the lot already, and my wife wants this done, before the TIME.!

She has recently lost family members and this is where we are.

My wish is for the kids to trow my ashes in the river ! That way I can travel !

Jim

I already mentioned that I'm not a fan of Headstones and cemeteries (although when I'm in the north at a small village or native community I often kill (pun intended) time by visiting the local cemetery). My fathers ashes (in the cardboard box) are in the sock drawer at the family "cabin in the woods" (since 1978) and my mothers ashes (also cardboard box) are in a closet here at home since 2010. The children, 4 of us and never been all together in the same place at the same time since the late 60's so the plan to one day get together and spread them around the cabin property (my parents bought the property and built the cabin in 1939) has yet to happen.

On the other hand, several of my cats are buried up there and have rough boulders that I've brought home from canoe trips as markers.

"Baby, I don't care where you bury my body when I'm dead and gone
You may bury my body, hoo
Down by the highway side
So my old evil spirit
Can get a Greyhound bus and ride"

Robert Johnson

"Can get a Greyhound bus and ride"

Not in Western Canada anymore...

Had a smile reading your note Recped.
My father in law died in 2003. His ashes sat in a box on his old desk until last summer when the family finally spread them to the winds at the cottage on Georgian Bay.
1978? you got us beat!

Bruce

My little sister, Susie, was a heavy smoker, an avid gambler, and a devoted fan of the Oakland Raiders football team. She died of lung cancer eight years ago, and left specific instructions for her ashes. Among the several locations, her husband, Joe, deposited her ashes in an ash tray at her favourite blackjack table, behind her favourite slot machine, and in the stands at the Oakland Alameda Coliseum. She was neither a canoeist nor an outdoors person, but definitely enjoyed life, nevertheless.

Here are two I like.
What do you think?
The first was done by Les Kouba, the second is by Vincent.

Thanks Sweetfancymoses, for the suggestion !

canoe-country-les-kouba-large8257162.jpg

Cannoe+Drawing.jpg

The real question is are you going to have a cedar strip coffin? Or a cedar strip box for you ashes?

Ha ! I'm thinking about it ! Make a little stripper with with white glue. I'll have to do a test to see how long it would take to fall apart !

Got any ideas ?

Jim

My little sister, Susie, was a heavy smoker, an avid gambler, and a devoted fan of the Oakland Raiders football team. She died of lung cancer eight years ago, and left specific instructions for her ashes. Among the several locations, her husband, Joe, deposited her ashes in an ash tray at her favourite blackjack table, behind her favourite slot machine, and in the stands at the Oakland Alameda Coliseum. She was neither a canoeist nor an outdoors person, but definitely enjoyed life, nevertheless.

My friend Jim (JSaults) was a very avid outdoorsman; an ex- raft guide, climber, caver, backpacker, kayaker and canoeist. When he died his ashes were aliquotted into dozens of small Mason jars and distributed to his many outdoor companions.

I was pleased to be part of the group scattering of Jim’s ashes at a couple of places where we had enjoyed his company while paddling and tripping.

Back