• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Wind, Rain, Fishless

Reaction score
Just got back from spending 6 days in the Arrowhead. Windbound in camp, mostly, or it was storming. During breaks I fished although I never saw one. Tried every lure and some worms. Neighbor camp, same story - no fish. Camped in the east (shallow) bay of Caribou Lake. Should have stayed in the big west bay - more structure, less weeds. Boges and me had a nice 6 day camp trip. Played fetch the stick about a thousand times, and I read an entire book. Paddled out into the wind, whitecaps.

Last edited:
Yeah, me and my best friend had a good time camping together. He needs to learn to do the dishes. I do everything else. All's he can do is bring me his bowl when he's hungry. Although he fetches like a pro. We played about 1000 stick tosses into the woods and water.

I did get another episode of vertigo (not as bad as in 2016 on a solo trip) that I need to figure out. I left the tequila at home, just my normal meds. I'm thinking the chlorine I use for purification may impact my liver, making things build up in my system. Oh well, physical soon. I'll ask the guy. He has not found what caused the first one, really. I'm confident it's not my inner ear. Too limited to tripping environs.

PS: Before you ask, I did cut back from 3 drops per quart to 2, and it also did not affect me when wifey poo was along. Dehydration? Nope, I was hydrated, made dang sure. Brain Tumor! Gotta be.

PSS: I do have photos (Bogan mostly, since his opposable thumb surgery didn't work). I just don't have the energy to make them tiny so they'll post.

Last edited:
Yeah, me and my best friend had a good time camping together. He needs to learn to do the dishes. I do everything else. All's he can do is bring me his bowl when he's hungry. Although he fetches like a pro. We played about 1000 stick tosses into the woods and water.

I did get another episode of vertigo (not as bad as in 2016 on a solo trip) that I need to figure out. I left the tequila at home, just my normal meds. I'm thinking the chlorine I use for purification may impact my liver, making things build up in my system. Oh well, physical soon. I'll ask the guy. He has not found what caused the first one, really. I'm confident it's not my inner ear. Too limited to tripping environs.

PS: Before you ask, I did cut back from 3 drops per quart to 2, and it also did not affect me when wifey poo was along. Dehydration? Nope, I was hydrated, made dang sure. Brain Tumor! Gotta be.

PSS: I do have photos (Bogan mostly, since his opposable thumb surgery didn't work). I just don't have the energy to make them tiny so they'll post.

There's quite a bit of info on the internet regarding vertigo that may give you more things to try in addition to whatever your (western) doctor says. If your doctor only prescribes pills I suggest you get a second opinion and maybe see someone that practices eastern medicine. It's possible that your camping drives some misalignment in your spine aggravating some nerves. I bet regular sports massages would make you feel better (even if it doesn't help the vertigo).

I do have degenerative disk disease, I'm told. You may be onto something. My doc is probably limited in the eastern medical arts. I'll see what I can find. Maybe a good masseur or chiropractor.

Maybe real acupuncture could help you with that... What about filtering your water instead of using pills/drops?

yeah, if fishing and hunting were a sure thing it wouldn't be as much fun. Plus you wouldn't have an excuse to get out there as often.

Can't help with the back pain thing, but have a chiropractor buddy that says there are a lot of promising things with stem cell treatments. Might be something to look into as well.

I'm glad you had a good time anyway despite the weather and fishing.

As far as vertigo, I can see where the act of lifting the canoe to portage could be enough to jostle those little things in your inner ear that cause at least one form of vertigo. To be on the safe side I believe there is a medication that you can take when you feel it coming on that helps a lot, and I would take it tripping if I had that concern. A bad case of vertigo is debilitating and could prevent travel.

I do have degenerative disk disease, I'm told. You may be onto something. My doc is probably limited in the eastern medical arts. I'll see what I can find. Maybe a good masseur or chiropractor.

I have the same DDD, and I got told that every human being past the age of 40 or so has it, but I guess some like me and you might have it more... I use to suffer crazy Sciatica pain, like not being able to sit down on a 4hrs plane ride crazy... I went to see an old Osteopath, she did 2 treatments and done... Never had pain again. I kept seeing her when ever I was visiting my mom back east just to make sure all was good!! I did everything before that other than surgery, hours and hours of physio, massage therapy, acupuncture, Rolphing, name it nothing was really working until that Osteopath, and even other ostheos tried to help me but only her made a real difference!! So keep trying things sometimes the same thing by a different practitioner will work!!
Good luck!

Back