• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Canadian Canoe Trippers: Can you I.D. this mystery route?

Reaction score
Hoping the more experienced trippers out there can help solve a mystery. This post over on the WCHA forums documents an old canoe paddle with a tripping route painted on the blade. The paddle was acquired at an antique shop and no information about its origins are known. From the throat down to the mid-section of the blade are vertical letters spelling out "CANADA" so the obvious assumption is that the trip map is from somewhere in this country's vast paddling network. No lake names, roads or other clues are on the blade.

Paddle%2BPics%2Bcombined.jpg

It is long shot, but the new owner is hoping someone might recognize the route based on the shape of the lakes and a few marked rapids. On the far right there is an orientation arrow pointing north so the horizontal images of the photos reveal the rough layout of the route. Possible campsites are identified with a circled X and a straight line denotes a portage connecting the two lakes on the far right.

For more detail, additional photos have broken down the paddle into sections from throat to tip...

Paddle%2BPic%2B%25231.jpg

Paddle%2BPic%2B%25232.jpg

Paddle%2BPic%2B%25233.jpg

Paddle%2BPic%2B%25234.jpg

Apparently the original poster wrote an article about the paddle that appears in the December 2016 issue of Wooden Canoe Journal. I haven't received my copy in the mail yet to get any more details. So far on the original thread, the best guess seems to be Rob Stevens with the Magnetewan River Circuit but it doesn't seem to be a perfect match to my amateur eyes.

This doesn't help, but I first came across this concept when I read the book below:

I'm thinking about trying it with some of our local routes.

Back