• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

What's your PFD?

Reaction score
I use a high back kayak PFD. It was free, so I am not complaining. On the other hand, It does not look like canoe gear. I mean it looks like kayak gear and somehow not fitting the traditional canoe style or look, if that makes sense. I know the primary function of my PFD is to safe my behind, but there must be some PFDs that do that, as well as fit a canoeing type look better. I am probably not describing this very well. Anyway, for those that can make sense of my ramblings, I'd love to know your thoughts on the subject.
What's your PFD?

I have two that I use, an old Lotus Designs lowrider( lotus doesn't exist anymore) that I use on none technical river/ lakes/ hunting...
And I use a Stolquist Descent for when I'm teaching and on ww runs!

I think that the most important thing in a PFD is to be confortable and none restrictive. As for look, I don't know, I don't really care about look. I care about my life!

Maybe you could ask a compagnie like Filson to team up with a PFD manufacturer to make a pfd that would be made of there oil tin fabric, with brown nylon straps, really tried and slim in terms of bulkiness and accessories, maybe a small pocket....

Maybe I will run that idea with them!!

Cheers

You want traditional? When I started canoeing 55 years ago all there was was the orange horse collar
Thank god times have changed.
It's true that PFDs for canoeing only with to the hip coverage and waist ties are gone. But no matter. They were very bulky. And tended not to fit well on me
I.e. They rode up.
All that matters is that you float high and the PFD fit properly so it does not ride up

I have an Astral but the zipper is a problem. I like the floatation and the way it's shaped to me

Last edited:
Many canoe racers like the Kokotat Orbit model. Lightweight and comfortable. I like it because it allows full arm and torso movement. and it has front pockets for a few necessary/emergency items. it has 4 side straps that tighten (and easily loosen) below your rib cage to keep it in place when you might most need it.

I've got a Stohlquist that's probably 10 or more years old. It's probably the same "kayak" style as yours. It works fine but it's getting old and the last couple years I've been thinking of upgrading. I've looked and tried a few on but haven't bought anything yet. I believe its Astral that's using a different style of foam and when I tried one on in the store it felt considerably more comfortable. It wasn't as rigid and molded to my body better. But how it's been working in real life and holding up over time I don't know. But for comfort I really liked how it felt.

I tried to find a PFD that didn't have the "kayak cut" but without much success. The higher coverage PFDs seemed to be for big water rescue and have many features I have no use or desire for. They also have a lot more foam for higher flotation. I wonder how much warmer they'd be in hot weather compared to the current style that's so popular?

Alan

You are right Alan. I actually found an older thread from 2014, where the subject was discussed. (Nothing came up when I typed "PFD" in the search bar, so I started this new thread. Sorry for not researching it better. The older thread was named "Pfd".) Anywho, someone back then suggested this pfd http://www.sierratradingpost.com/product/index/1917j/. It has a more classic look, but like you said, it has a lot more flotation, and I wonder if its bulk would get in the way of paddling.

At this point I have two PFDs for personal use. One is a Lotus that I truly like and wear the majority of the time. My only real issue with it (and I knew about it going in) is the zipper is off to the side and I prefer a zipper in the middle of the jacket. In this case the fit was good and the price was right so I took it. The other jacket I have is from Extrasport and it's an older style made up of vertical tubes of flotation that wraps entirely around my torso with a zipper in the middle front and adjustment straps on the side. It's the only PFD that fits easily over my 18th century living history clothing so when we do those types of trips, that's the jacket that accompanies me. Typically in those cases I tuck it out of sight and under my seat in the canoe but it's at the ready if I want it; which has happened more times than I'd like on Lake George in October.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I have an Astral YTV. No frills, no zippers, 2 small pockets. It is very comfortable and allows great range of motion. NRS ninja is a popular vest but I didn't find it as comfortable as the Astral. As for a traditional look, sew some canvas on it?

someone back then suggested this pfd http://www.sierratradingpost.com/product/index/1917j/. It has a more classic look, but like you said, it has a lot more flotation, and I wonder if its bulk would get in the way of paddling.

Dagger, that's a specialized PFD used in very heavy whitewater. I have one of the originals, called the HiFloat, which was designed by Charlie Waldbridge back in the early '80's and originally sold as a sew-it-yourself kit before the design was purchased by Extrasport. Its concept was to provide much more than the minimum Coast Guard required flotation of 15.5 pounds, so that swimming paddlers could avoid flush drowning in giant holes and waves in heavy whitewater. It now apparently contains 27 pounds of foam flotation.

It was popular among whitewater paddlers in the 80's, and is still used by whitewater guides and commercial raft customers, but even most whitewater paddlers have now dropped it because of its bulk and arguably excessive flotation. In my opinion, it's far too bulky a PFD for a flatwater paddler.

Fit and comfort are the primary factors. Exterior pockets are also conveniences to hold crucial "bail out" gear such as waterproofed cell phones, PLB's, marine radios, cameras, knives, etc.

I've had many trendy PFD's over the past 40 years, and for the past 10 years I've used a very lightweight hybrid (foam + inflatable) PFD, the Kokatat SeaO2, which is rather expensive now. Many "name brands" are now wildly overpriced, in my opinion, unless you can get them on sale. I also have very serviceable and reasonably comfortable 15.5 lb. PFD's that I've purchased for $20-$40, often on sale, from places such as sierratradingpost.com, sportsmansguide.com, the REI Outlet (now Garage), and local discount stores such as Walmart.

In hot climates just for flatwater, I'd now consider a fully inflatable PFD, although they tend to be expensive too.

I actually wear (most of the time) an older model Stohlquist eSCAPE. (http://www.stohlquist.com/life-jackets/recreational-pfds/escape.html) Inexpensive, not uncomfortable, and I have proven that it really does do its job:eek:. The newer version has a zipper pocket instead of the velcro flap closure. My old Stearns PFD was the most comfortable and easily adjustable that I have used or tried.
Unfortunately, they don't make that model any more. Jon

I used Extrasport PFDs extensively in years past and still occasionally do, including the HiFloat, for both whitewater and non-whitewater applications. I do not find them uncomfortable. The HiFloat and the renamed HiFloat (B27) have foam extending up over the shoulders. I know some people who actually liked this as it helped cushion the yoke on their canoes when portaging.

Extrasport also made a model very similar to the HiFloat which did not have flotation extending over the shoulders which was more comfortable still, but I'm sure it is long out of production.

Nowadays, I usually just use my Astral Green Vest for either whitewater or non-whitewater paddling. It tends to be at hand and is actually quite comfortable with dual front foam panels that articulate with each other. It a Type V vest, quite pricey, and definitely whitewater oriented but works just fine for flat water paddling and has a commodious front pocket that is convenient. I have found that PFDs with a single large front foam panel (like the Sohlquist Descent) tend to be stiff and less comfortable.

A friend wears one of those belts with a CO 2 cartridge, and a pull string to inflate. ​ It's legal, and for real TRADITION, back before PFDs, it would fill the bill.

Seriously ! I'm thinking of getting one ! Most of my paddling doesn't get into dangerous water !
The downside, people don't think you are wearing a PFD.

Jim

Kokatat Orbit Tour. Have had one for many years with no issues. Very comfortable, adjustable, light and the pockets hold all I need. Faded but no wear. Kokatat is the best!

Kokatat Orbit Tour. Have had one for many years with no issues. Very comfortable, adjustable, light and the pockets hold all I need. Faded but no wear. Kokatat is the best!

We have a bunch. My favorite is the Kokatat BahiaTour.

https://kokatat.com/product/bahia-tour-pfd-lvubat

Fortunately that was a first year model, before the pockets got bigger, the lash tab relocated and the fugly vinyl window added. I use a back band in every boat, canoe or kayak, and needed a design with a low-profile back.

The Bahia Tour is very comfortable for my physiology, with articulated foam panels, padded shoulder straps, mesh vent panel for warm weather use, etc.

As much as I would recommend buying a PFD in a brick and mortar store where you can try it on, adjust the straps, move around and make paddle stroke movements with a borrowed paddle, better quality PFD’s with all of those design features do pop up on sale/clearance occasionally. For a lot less than $135.

We have a very comfy and well designed MTI Velocity that was an REI Deal of the Day a few years ago. Helluva nice PFD for something like $24.

(Not as ugly as the one shown below, ours is black, green and yellow.)

https://www.rei.com/product/799576/mti-velocity-pfd

Last edited:
Kokatat Outfit Tour: I like the fit, the Kokatat quality and the pockets.I use it for canoeing, kayaking and sailing.,
​Regards,
Dave

Back