• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Down day

Reaction score
We got pushed around by the wind for 2 days, took a wrong turn that gave us a bonus carry of about 1800 meters so we cut out of our circle, went straight up the middle and spent a down day on an island in Lake Louisa. While the younger ones fished Nick and I took on the towering fire pit that was of no use for our reflector oven.

We removed about 30 buckets of ash

The rock in the left corner above forms the left side of the fire place in the end

In the end we got it down to ground level

With a large pile of ash

and a Stone Cairn

that went well with the Stone Alter already on the site

Last edited:
Wow good work. I always appreciate when someone has the time to leave a site in better condition than when they arrive.

If I were arriving a day later at your refurbished campsite I might get a little freaked out. Sacrificial stone altar. Memorial cairn. Really big pile of ash.
Seriously though, nice work on the fireplace. What did you bake in your reflector oven?

We were in Algonquin PP

We baked Bannock and Blueberry muffins there.

We had a token Canadian rookie that was glad to leave without being tied to the alter.

We had to modify most of them to get the Reflector Oven in. Fire wood was also a problem especially on that island. We got the last piece of dead hardwood on the island. Lots of scraps for the Kelly Kettle but not a lot left for the fire pit. Thankfully someone left us that 3 gal bucket we used to transport the ash in.

The other thing I found amusing was the number and variety of grills left at these sites.

Back