• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

The 'Easy Rider' Decked Boat

Reaction score
I impulse bought this boat at a yard sale in MT haha, my wife was looking at some books and I said, 'Help me load our new boat'
They are built in WA state, 16' heavy fiberglass layup with a balsa core floor, slightly arched bottom, moderate rocker and about 85lbs :p

I had never heard of such a thing and then I owned one, we paddled it tandem canoe and ran a lot of MT rivers with it :- )

IMG_1202.JPG

IMG_1186.JPG
Yes that's my bus, parked in a bro's back yard in MT river hippy style, it's our off grid, rough terrain camping rig, RV appliances, 100 gal. of propane, 150 gals of water, a yacht wood stove, big battery bank and 500 watts of solar :- )

all you need is a three person tandem mountain-bike and you are ready when Mars Attacks:)...but seriously, wish we had garage sales like that in Florida, nice find!

Nice! A TS-1... I saw one for sale a year or so ago in New England. They still sell them - at $3900! Ouch!!! You don't see many of Easy Rider boats on the east coast, but I picked up one of their tandem kayaks, a Beluga S, last Autumn off Craigslist. It's the kevlar layup. It needs a little work but it should be nice for my dog and I.

Nice! A TS-1... I saw one for sale a year or so ago in New England. They still sell them - at $3900! Ouch!!! You don't see many of Easy Rider boats on the east coast, but I picked up one of their tandem kayaks, a Beluga S, last Autumn off Craigslist. It's the kevlar layup. It needs a little work but it should be nice for my dog and I.

The guy I sold it too has it on Bozeman MT Craigslist for $1400 :- )

I've paid more for paddles than I bought it for at the yard sale haha My wife is a white water kayaker and rafter and the Easy Rider was awkward solo so I sold it when we moved.

If the guy I sold it too was asking anything close to what I sold it for, I would buy it back :- ) It would work good tandem on lots of the SW rivers we trip on. Even though single blade tandem isn't my wifes favorite she still did a good job in the Easy Rider :- )
We ran the Gallitan though the canyon out of Yellowstone Park, the Madison though the Bear Trap, Yankee Jim Canyon on the Yellowstone and many others with it. I kind of liked it. But alas $1400 isnt going to happen haha

Sorry about the multi-post, my phone is wiggy on the internet sometimes :- )

Last edited:
It may seem strange, but that boat is on my BOLO list. But not at that price.

Steve, mine too if I could find one cheap. I believe that was easy Rider’s first model and they have been making it for ages.

It would be fun to soloize that center storage compartment with a decent seat and use the bow and stern sans seats as storage hatches.

If you are interested another similar oddity to watch for is the Old Town Berrgian. The OEM seats in that C2 where ungodly uncomfortable, but it had the same large center storage compartment.

https://books.google.com/books?id=8Q...0canoe&f=false

How could you resist a C2 from 1970 once advertised in Popular Science?

They do look very similar, don't they Mike. I wonder if there have been problems with that balsa core. A lot of sailboats from that era used similar technique in the decks, and are a subject of a lot of labor intensive restoration.

They do look very similar, don't they Mike. I wonder if there have been problems with that balsa core. A lot of sailboats from that era used similar technique in the decks, and are a subject of a lot of labor intensive restoration.

Yes they are. Mine had a bit of that issue and required a little work, but it was a small spot and the core was not rotten.

The seats in the Easy Rider I had were removable kneeling 'slats' that sat on cleats. We used them with knee pads. It would have been mucho better with saddles and thigh straps. My wife is a white water kayaker and thought fitted seats, foot braces and long double blades :- )

I think it could have easly gone either way depending on what the paddler was skilled with. The previous owners went both ways with it and used it on Yellowstone and other large lakes in MT and elsewhere. We did the same thing and added some Class III-IV rivers. It did fine on the white water as long as there was river space to maneuver, it wasn't a 'play boat' haha but it had enough rocker to ferry around as needed.

Somewhere I have some
GoPro of Yankee Jim Canyon on the Yellowstone in flood. It was big in there, even by southwest standards :- ) The outfitters were doing their seasonal guide training, so there were lots of qualified folks to pick up the pieces :- ) Its a big 'gonzo' springtime run and lots of yakkers out as well. On a whim I had strapped the Easy Rider on the trailered cat and took it over with us haha My wife must be a nut job to agree to the stuff she does, but she's kind of a show off and not afraid to swim :- )

I did paddle it solo on lakes from the center, it was a nice boat to fly fish from, but required a firm corrective stroke. Definitely a tandem boat on Class II+ for me, though I did parts of the Yellowstone, Madison and others. Good boat when the wind was blowing and I was solo compared to my oar boats.

I fished a lot in MT and had a driftboat up there and my ww cataraft and both are better fishing boats.

The Easy Rider was a pig to handle solo. We often only had our RV and our Jeep when loafing around and it was heavy and tough to handle solo getting loaded on top our Jeep. Ultimately that's why I sold it. It needed it's own trailer to be handy.

If I find another, that is priced right I would buy it. AZ has alot of big lakes and lots of interesting boats show up for sale :- ) I have a good solo canoe again and would likely rig it tandem kayak like my wife wanted to try for low water river tripping.

It's all about the rio to us, single and double paddles, oars oh my!

I’ve seen a couple of old OT Berrigans, but I thought they had woven roving bottoms. If there was a core I didn’t notice, but I didn’t look that close; both were dumpster ready, $100 “Only leaks a little” wrecks that recreational novices had picked up dirt cheap. Not a good first boat.

In some canoe history book there is a tale of the “Berrigan” moniker. If I remember correctly is was a combination of some C2 racer named Berrigan and the designer’s nod to the Radical Priests come to get me released. Daniel Berrigan passed away at 94 a couple weeks ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/01/n...st-who-preached-pacifism-dies-at-94.html?_r=0

The seats in the Easy Rider I had were removable kneeling 'slats' that sat on cleats. We used them with knee pads. It would have been mucho better with saddles and thigh straps.

IIRC the Berrigan had similar canted wood kneeling thwarts set high in the cockpits. So not my style.

I did paddle it solo on lakes from the center, it was a nice boat to fly fish from, but required a firm corrective stroke. Good boat when the wind was blowing and I was solo compared to my oar boats.

One untutored Berrigan tandem team would agree about the need for firm corrective strokes. Less so about the goodliness in wind. They showed up with a battered Berrigan for a canoe orienteering challenge. Held around a six mile loop. In a Spartina grass marsh with no wind protection. Windy as heck that day, blowing 20, gusts to 30. Tidal too.

I had to go fetch them, before they managed to get out of sight, bring them back to the launch and lend them a more suitable canoe.

The Easy Rider was a pig to handle solo. We often only had our RV and our Jeep when loafing around and it was heavy and tough to handle solo getting loaded on top our Jeep. Ultimately that's why I sold it. It needed it's own trailer to be handy.

Aye, there’s the rub. In glass the TSL-1 is 85 pounds of awkwardness to get on and off the roof racks and I long ago foreswore hauling a trailer again.

There are a bunch of interesting decked designs from the early 70’s, but many of them were woven roving and (thick) gel coat, back when men were men slathering on Vinylester resin and I had the spine of a teenager.

85 lbs.....ayyeeeee! Time to edit that list...

I should clarify my comment about balsa cores. Everything I've seen in reference to such in sailboats indicates that the problems stem from bad seals where holes have been drilled through cored decks for fittings (stanchions, rigging, etc). Maybe not an issue with canoes whose skin has not been compromised?

Looks pretty similar to me, three holes and a deck haha

If anything it doesn't appear as beamy and has less rocker...maybe, it's hard to tell from a pic :- )

Back