• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

There's no good canoeing in North America: A Rant

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sick of this cold weather. I've been getting sicker and sicker of it as every year passes. There's nowhere to canoe.

Canada. Phooey! There's a gazillion water bodies, but between the arctic weather and apocalyptic bugs, there's only about two reasonable months to canoe. During those two months, however, all the reasonably accessible canoe areas are crawling with tourist paddlers. Sure, if you're a millionaire, you can hire a 1930's float plane to fly to the land of permafrost and no trees, but who's a millionaire.

The USA is even more impoverished, if slightly warmer. The Northeast is too cold and buggy just like over-hyped Canada, but doesn't even have any forests anymore. Just a lot of Communists living close together.

The Midwest and Plains are all flat and corny with little interesting water, populated mainly by agrisexuals and knife worshipers.

The Rocky Mountains have a few whitewater rivers but nothing for the canoe tripper. No, no, no -- I refuse to count those few silty desert rivers that require payments to Big Brother to paddle and that, with repugnant voodoo, require you to pack out more crap than you packed in. Blechhhh!!!

California has nice weather and few bugs, but it's mostly whitewater rivers and fake lakes. Worse, all the fake lakes haven't had any rain this century, and they all look like flushed toilet bowls. Who wants to canoe trip in that kind of dreck.

That only leaves the Southeast as a reasonable place to canoe in the USA. There is water and -- before global cooling started in 1999 -- used to have warm weather. But there are bugs, bugs, bugs, snakes, snakes, gators, bugs, fire ants, snakes, gators, bugs, McDonalds. Yes, McDonald's. That's why canoeing sucks in the Southeast. There is no wilderness. You are rarely out of earshot of an interstate highway and never more than 3.14159265 miles from the nearest McDonald's or clone thereof.

There's no place in North America where you can find lots of water, warm weather all year, and the silence of wilderness.

How about Central America? Cripes, that's really the pits. It's too skinny to have any real rivers or decent lakes. And the people, egad! More than 90% of them have crossed the border illegally into the USA where they are lavished with OPM. The remaining population are mainly narcosexuals whose love, and use, of knives makes the Midwesterners look like Ghandi. Forget Central America.

Brazil -- that's obviously the place. The climate is warm. Google Earth shows lots and lots of water and woods. Nice beaches. A few Nazis, maybe, but they're too old now to bother canoeists. If I were young again, or if there is reincarnation, I would go to Brazil.

Yukon...Bugs are not as bad as it was in quebec, tourist... Not as bad as they say... And you get the midnight sun!!

As soon as I saw the title I looked forward to reading it and you didn't disappoint.

Living on the east coast (I don't understand why anyone would want to live in that metropolis, Maine being the main exception) it's understandable you feel tourists are crawling all over the fine northwoods across all Canada. That's how I feel about the BWCA. Algonquin and the Adirondacks are probably similar if not worse. But there are fantastic paddling opportunities accessible by a simple two wheel drive vehicle in Canada that aren't crawling with tourists during the warm weather months.

Woodland Caribou Provincial Park comes to mind immediately. A large park that contains about 5000 lakes that are visited by about 750 paddlers per year. No direct road access to the park but you can get close enough to paddle and portage in from neighboring lakes. If you don't mind spending 2 or 3 days just to to paddle across Red Lake you wouldn't even have to leave the pavement. For quicker and more remote access a two wheel drive vehicle will get you about 20 miles down an old logging road just a couple small lakes and portages away from the park boarder. A four wheel drive vehicle will get you another 20 miles down the road to another access point and even closer to the park. Or spend a couple hundred bucks and have an outfitter drive you and your gear down the road with their big pickemup truck or give you a water shuttle across Red Lake.

I'll grant you the bug issue, and I prefer to take my trips in later summer early fall for that reason, but by most reports WCPP is pretty light on mosquitoes and black flies by northwoods standards. Maybe even tolerable in the high bug season?

Alan

people ought to come east. Tourists flock to the shore only. Sporting camps sometimes found inland.. Another way of life.. Never felt crowded in Maine nor Quebec nor the parks in Ontario out of reach of Toronto.

Algonquin and the Adirondacks are not usually worse. Been to both many times.

Ha ha eastern metropolis...not here. We have one traffic light and you can stop in the middle of any dirt or macadam road. Posiitively deserted after the seven week wonders leave

Forget the symptoms Glenn, lets get right to the root of the problem and treat it. Metamucil should do it. Maybe tote Mike's bucket around with you for a couple of days just in case. I blame the cold weather for your inactivity and general slothness that aggravated the problem. By the way thank you for thinking enough of me to include me in your rant. The knife worshiper mention warmed my heart on a cold morning. Crazy Dave

Glenn, I feel your pain and the forecast for the next few weeks is not giving it any relief. When you come across that ideal place be sure to post it here after you tire of it, not before. I am with Alan, Woodland Caribou Provincial Park is the best I have found for my taste. Mornings like this I just have to watch this again to be reminded that paddling season will return. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUrZo_A9UWA

I will agree with Glenn....canoeing in Canada can really suck at times. I have run the gamut from needing parka and mukluks to being fried to a crisp and chased out of the woods by sagamesuk. People dont believe me when I tell them you cannot sit at a fire after dark because of the bugs.

Manitoba has only one consolation going for it....it can be so nasty here that only the true hard core types venture out very far. On a good trip rhis makes it fantastic. On a bad trip...it becomes an ordeal. Late summer and early fall are the bestest ever times to trip here. If there is water left and the place is not a blazing inferno from end to end. We have dealt with both of those too.

In fact, we have had some truly epic trips that we swore were our last. And then we get seduced by that one perfect sunset or awesome fishing and dont even need our rose coloured glasses to offset todays minus 43 wind chill.

Brasil is looking good.

Christy

I'm sensitive to both bugs and people, which is why I go to the BWCA in May and September. I can go for a few days without seeing people, and the bugs aren't bad enough to worry about.

Last edited:
The Olympic Peninsula would give you good year round paddling, good year round weather, not too many people and not too many bugs. There's a large rain shadow on the peninsula so depending on where you live you could get 200" or 16" of rain per year or anything in between, all within just a few hours of each other. No long rivers due the short distance from the Olympic Mountains to the coast but quite a few to choose from, some of which are glacier fed and sustain decent flow through the summer. There are also some large and very beautiful natural lakes, not to mention the pacific ocean. I think paddling around the numerous haystacks and exploring the interesting coastline would be great fun. You could paddle from there to Alaska along the inside passage.

It's not my ideal paddling location but the drier parts of the peninsula tick my box for nearly ideal year round weather. It's about as good of a combination of paddling, year round nice weather, lack of people but still access to good services, and access to real wilderness (most accessed by foot) that I've found. One of these days I just might screw up the nerve, and money, to move there.

Alan

I enjoyed that, pretty funny Glenn,

As soon as I saw the title I looked forward to reading it and you didn't disappoint.

Living on the east coast (I don't understand why anyone would want to live in that metropolis, Maine being the main exception) it's understandable you feel tourists are crawling all over the fine northwoods across all Canada.

Alan

Alan, You need to lighten up about the east coast...it was all tongue in cheek, it was just a joke.

All depends on the when as well as there where. I have canoed in the BWCA in April, May, September, October and November without seeing many if any bugs and very few people. Don't really want to get into a global warming rant but I do know that at least up north here one upside is that it is extending the paddling season. Also, even in June-August a few difficult portages in and most of the people go away. The BWCA usage for overnight permits keeps dropping each year as the younger crowd doesn't like to rough it or leave their electronics and internet behind!

I'm sick of this cold weather. I've been getting sicker and sicker of it as every year passes. There's nowhere to canoe.

I’m with you there on being sick of cold weather. I suggest a condo in Boca. I think the Best Made store carries Bermuda shorts and sandals. It’s the new Retiree-sexual look, AKA How to embarrass your children.

Let’s see, you want a reliably warm, no-engine noise, no people, no bugs, drive to accessibility, no silt, no shuttle costs, no poo or firepans or flaming sphincter hair mistakes or other voodoo regulations to deal with, non-drought, idyllic in all ways venue where you don’t have to speak Portuguese.

Well heck, you ain’t asking much.

I have come to favor trips of a week’s time, or at least 5 or 6 days, and that is tough to do if I keep moving along. If I can get to some place or places that offer quiet and few people I’ll take it and accept a gentleman’s C in achieving half that best-of list.

If I had to choose a couple from Column A and a couple from Column B I would shoot for no noise and few people first. I can handle some degree of cold, and the further south I go the higher temperature the locals (or fellow snowbirds) seem to require to be out and about on the water.

I try to grab those off-season opportunities.The coastal bay stuff in the “off” season provides a lot of opportunity for a weather-timed paddle in and out, no-shuttle cost, no bug, no people campsite. It just needs the right wind and weather.

Well, OK, the last two winters have sucked local paddling wise; with temps overly cold here and far south as the Carolinas. Assateague is frozen, heck the Chesapeake Bay is largely frozen over. If this is the new eastern seaboard normal I’d like to call for a revote, I really do not like this record low winter, record high summer crap. Gimme at least one season in trade.

Worse, all the fake lakes haven't had any rain this century, and they all look like flushed toilet bowls. Who wants to canoe trip in that kind of dreck.

I do bemoan the fate of the fake lakes. Having Lake Mead full in the 80’s was a treat. I never paddled any of the fake California lakes, bit I wish I had while I was that far west, there is some weird stuff out there. I have never paddled Lake Powell, but even with the bathtub ring I’d like to give it a shot from Bullfrog someday and poke up to camp at the head of some of the side canyons.

I made it down some of the canyons in Big Bend when it had seasonably dependable water (and releases from Mexican reservoirs upstream), but that now requires fortuitous timing.

I kinda like Commies, if only for the argumentative amusement of their nonsensical convictions. And I’d fit right in with the Agri-culturals, since I favor overalls as work gear. Stabby Joe, well, probably not harmless, but I’m on my best behavior when travelling, and Iowa seems a peculiar hotbed of craftsmanship. Maybe it’s the winters. Or the ever present eau d’ porker.

Glenn, there comes a time to throw on the towel and get the heck out of Dodge, or Connecticut as the case may be, and take what you can get.

Glenn, Still wonder about your formula for McDonalds locations.
Pi x ? = McDonalds.

Sharp guy.

I meant π x 1 miles but that's probably somewhat of an unfair exaggeration. If you're willing to carry a banjo and wear loose pants, you can probably probably get π x e miles away from a McDonald's in the "deep" South.

Glenn, there comes a time to . . . get the heck out of Dodge

But my magic bus is a Dodge. Like a California fake lake, I'm dammed if I do or don't.

Besides, I just found out that Brazil has no water left because of the lowest rainfall since 1930.

Alternative outdoor hobbies such as chopping a dead tree with my new axe turned out so shocking as to be unmentionable.

I'll just have to face reality and look for an internet forum called keyboardtripping.net.

Glen has WLOCS, Winter Lack of Canoeing Syndrome.
Florida in East, Baja and the lower Colorado in the West.

. No, no, no -- I refuse to count those few silty desert rivers that require payments to Big Brother to paddle and that, with repugnant voodoo, require you to pack out more crap than you packed in. Blechhhh!!!.........

............How about Central America? Cripes, that's really the pits. It's too skinny to have any real rivers or decent lakes......

Brazil -- that's obviously the place. The climate is warm. Google Earth shows lots and lots of water and woods. Nice beaches. A few Nazis, maybe, but they're too old now to bother canoeists. If I were young again, or if there is reincarnation, I would go to Brazil.
I hear ya on 'packing "it" out'!!

Central America is almost as bad, can't flush your toilet paper!!

Brazil, you might be onto something.....
https://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/brazilian-beach-bums.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=640

Some are suffering from what we used to call cabin fever. While it can be quite interesting watching some one sub-come to this there is a cure. Come on down to Florida and our fluid water. The tress are just starting to leaf out. We can go find some wilderness canoeing and try to identify all the bird calls. You know. The red tail hawk, then a limp-kin, if we are early enough in the mourning an owl and then an Air bus 320. They can be identified by the noise when the flaps are deployed when getting ready to land. Yes we have a great assortment of birds in our skyies.

Back