• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Big storm reported for you folks back East!!!

Reaction score
If you can believe the news, there's a whee of a storm heading your way! I've always envied your paddling places but for this I'm glad to be where I am. If it turns out to be like the Donner Party, I've sure enjoyed knowing you all!

All kidding aside, did/do you make any special preparations for this kind of thing?

Best Wishes and Hope everybody's all right,

Rob

I'm app 30mi south of Buffalo,NY. We are only supposed to get 4" or so. During the big lake effect storm Buffalo got a month ago,we had sunshine.We don't worry,wood stove,pond for water, let it snow.
Turtle

Gee storm? Really?

The woodpile on the porch got restocked. 32 inches is not a big deal. Plenty of woods to shove it in and everyone with a pickup has a plow. When it stops we will be out in half an hour.

So I have groceries through tomorrow.

We need the snow. We are running a big deficit and only have a foot on the ground. Normally we run around 75-80 inches by now. So this will not even make up the deficit.

Have house generator as our utilities are unreliable anyway. Worst that will happen is lose cable/internet.

Not even flurries here yet and they already closed the school at noon. I've got to go pick up my son.
I love blizzards, I love the winter in general. I'm almost always prepared. Generator, firewood, book, skies, check. I'm ready.
As long as we don't lose Internet I'll keep you posted on Long Island.
Jim

I have my bread, eggs and milk. I also was allowed to leave work early today and was told not to come in tomorrow.

Now I just have to eat, sleep, shovel some snow and try out my new snowshoes. I can handle that.

Our Emergency Management Director is out with a Gallbladder removed, the Assistant is out of town, so someone had the bright idea to make me the Acting EMD for the storm.
The house is ready, I'll see what happens in town in the morning, only a dusting here at 10PM.

Here is what it looks like out my back window. Not much snow on the railing, too much wind.

9fe0f1956dac2134bad60a9acb653407_zpsae963a51.jpg

I heard all about the Nor'easter heading that way on the radio this morning. I've never ever seen as much snow as the forecast predicts for you easterners. Hope you're all hunkered down and snug for the duration. I hope you have all the groceries tucked safely away.
Meanwhile back here in milder climes and semi-civilaization, I'm on the first day of a "mutually agreed upon diet". I musta been nuts, or more than likely basking in the gastronomic afterglow that comes from prime rib, roast vegetables and poached pear in pastry with ice cream. There we were driving home yesterday after a sumptuous meal in an old country house, and she suggested "Going on a small healthy diet, just for a few weeks", and so I said "Sure, no problem. I can support you in that." I think we might've had our "mutual" signals crossed. My idea was the kind of support you'd give a passing marathon runner, when you hand them a bottle of water and say "Well done! You're almost there! See ya back at the car!" Her idea was more of a fellow participant in the gruelling race, both of us profusely perspiring, almost expiring, and saying things like "Isn't this fun? We shoulda done this years ago!" So now I'm having No breads, No dairy, and No fun. Oh, and to make it all the more miserable, No coffee. We'll see how long this "mutual" thing lasts. I guess it could be worse if the power went out in a snowstorm. Mind you, if that happened, I suppose she couldn't see the fridge light go on, from my midnight snacking raid.
Good luck out east.

Latest prediction here is for 20"-30" . I'm watching 5 houses for absentee owners so I'll be out and about early tomorrow. Three are easy walking distance so I'll drag the dog out with me. If power goes out I'll be a busy camper. Stay safe.
Jim

I'm in Huntington, NY and we only received around a foot of snow. There's still some fine stuff blowing around outside but I don't think anything is falling from the sky. I didn't even hear any big wind last night. So in summary - it was a Nor'Easter - not some super duper 2-3 feet of snow storm. The roads I can see are plowed.

I'm grateful they weather people got it wrong.

Hanz (Doug) you're welcome to come about 35 miles east I currently have over two feet of snow and still coming down. The snow blower is sitting in the garage just waiting for you to come play in the snow. Haven't seen or heard a plow since about 10 pm last night. Rhododendron leaves are curled up tight so I know it's darn cold out there and wind is gusting on an off.

Worcester MA has 25 inches. I think the storm tracked further east. Miss Gulch just blew by.. Its not a snowstorm. Its a hurricane with its own ballistics.

Aside from having chemo Friday I hope to feel well enough to get on the lake on snowshoes. Its a pretty lake here.

Well here are some pics from this morning.
This what I woke up to see at my second floor window.

Granted there is a roof outside that window, but I've never seen it drift like that.

Good thing this door opens in, or I would have had a heck of a time.

Still snowing as I write this but all is good.
Jim

Another "storm of the century" turns into more of a snow job than snow storm. We got maybe 4" in western Connecticut.

The world was a more interesting and surprising fun place before 24 hour meteorology models and hype-infested news channels.

Not to minimize those in the path,but to quote Shakspeare another "much adu about nothing". Chicken Little runs out of an audience despite the "correctness" of the message.

Not to minimize those in the path,but to quote Shakspeare another "much adu about nothing". Chicken Little runs out of an audience despite the "correctness" of the message.
Uh no. The path was just misplaced. We were to get 14-20.. We'll be merrily snowshoeing on top of 30 tomorrow. I can't get some doors open. Maine forecasters are not given to hype and now they have to go... "we made a mistake"

Back