• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

pros/cons webbed seats

Reaction score
On another forum, someone commented that you can get an itchy butt or even a rash from webbed seats. Anyone have any issues?

I saw that post over there and found it rather puzzling. I'm a cyclist and don't agree with the correlations made by the poster. Also never had any issue with a webbed seat as long as it was properly positioned and tightly strung.

Never had a problem with web seat, slat seat, cane seat. I think it as more to do with the way the seat is made and especially the front cross bar!

I would think if paddling in shorts and having bare skin on the webbing might make for a rash, or having your tushy sweat for whatever reason. Personally have never had an issue with webbing or cane. Might wonder about a possible allergic reaction to something for a rash or itch.

Consider Duluth Trading "Buck Naked" underwear and for longer trips carry a small tube of triple anti biotic and keep things clean below the waist.
The real question is Does the seat fit your seat? Are you held in place with the help of the seat. Drop the leading edge a bit to keep circulation to your feet.

An other consideration is, are you sitting or kneeling, I kneel most of the time, so limited area of my but that is actually in contact with the webbing....

I've heard of some amazing things being "caught from a toilet seat", not so much with canoe seats of any kind. Sorry, but I've got to wonder if the problem didn't originate with a lack of personal hygiene.

But then again, maybe the person forgot the toilet paper and was unfortunate in his choice of shrubbery to wipe with. And the poor canoe seat was the passive victim of a false accusation.

Thinking back on it, before I became a confirmed solo paddler, I can remember telling a particularly lazy bow paddler: "You chap my a$$!!!" Wonder about any possible tripping companions and how they got along?

Sounds like the subject is ripe for a stalwart investigative reporter; Go for it Meopilite!

Rob

Consider Duluth Trading "Buck Naked" underwear and for longer trips carry a small tube of triple anti biotic and keep things clean below the waist.
The real question is Does the seat fit your seat? Are you held in place with the help of the seat. Drop the leading edge a bit to keep circulation to your feet.

The Duluth Trading Buck Naked line are indeed super undies for all things active. I cycle quite a bit but simply refuse to don that silly cyclewear so in fashion. I cycle along animal trails in the Wyoming prairies and such attire would drive the wildlife nutz :) Duluth Trading makes some very nice clothing for the outdoorsman/woman.

I am tired of replacing cane seats. Latest boat is a Wenonah Cascade has web seats and I am interested to see how they do for a week.

Back