• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

What to look for in a Tripping Dog?

Reaction score
We have a recent furry addition to our family, as our daughter has adopted an adorable Border Collie cross (with a couple more varieties). We wonder if she might like to trip? She's very obedient but shy. What do you look for in a faithful tripping partner of the four footed kind?
Here's a video of a Finnish dog obedience trial. Enjoy. There might be a Golden R's best friend out there who might need a giggle.
http://www.tastefullyoffensive.com/2014/11/golden-retriever-hilariously-fails-dog.html

I hope this lifts people's spirits, near and far.

I got my last dog from an animal rescue, first dog I haven't gotten as a puppy. Was a bit nervous about it since you never know what they've been through and how it will affect them the rest of their lives. I got lucky though and she's the best dog I've ever had. First dog I've ever had that only responds to positive reinforcement and wants nothing more than to please you. If you get really mad and start yelling she kind of locks up and just wants to stand by your leg for protection. It's hard to remember that no matter how mad you are you can't take it out on her. Maybe that's a good thing to learn from a dog.

Anyway, I had some specific size requirements when looking for a dog. Slender and long legged so they could get through the tall grass on my many walks through the prairie but also small and lightweight so that it would fit nicely in a canoe. What I ended up with appears to be a 27 pound Brittany Spaniel who, at one year old when I got her, took to a canoe like a fish to water, even though when on shore she wouldn't come within 2 feet of the water.

She's been my constant companion the past 4 or so years. We've done a couple weeks in WCPP, lots of day and weekend trips, and a few cross country road/camping trips. Any time we travel I'm amazed how quickly she settles into the routine and takes it all in stride. For any dog to be a good travel/tripping companion I think you have to spend a lot of time with them....a lot of time. They pick up on all sorts of gestures, phrases and tones in your voice and you do the same for them. If they know you're relaxed than they're relaxed. For me and Sadie a two week camping/canoe trip really isn't that different from our normal life. Lots of time spent outdoors and traveling in the car and eating at odd hours. But the smells and scenery are different.

While I don't spend a lot of time training my dogs they're all well behaved and know basic commands and how to obey them, which is critical when traveling and tripping. When you tell them to come they need to come, now! They need to know that when you tell them to get into the canoe they need to get in and when you tell them to get out they need to get out. Sadie is free to run around at will when we're hiking because she doesn't get far and always comes when called, but she also knows that when I tell her to heel she needs to heel. If we're in town and she kicks up a rabbit a sharp "hey!" will stop her in her tracks in mid-chase. Never had a dog that would do that before.

I did use a shock collar on her when I first got her. If she started chasing a deer or rabbit she'd completely ignore me and nothing makes me madder. But you can't be mad when they do come back because that will just confuse them. She was also wandering out onto the road at times at home but I couldn't get her to figure out that was a really bad thing to do. As soon as I'd see her on the road and yell to "come" she'd come bounding up to me just as happy as can be because she was wanted. She did exactly what I wanted her to so I couldn't scold her and it wasn't sinking in that the road was bad.

I think she only got shocked twice by the collar. That was enough, she's a quick learner. They give a beep before they shock and you also have the option of beeping only, without the shock. After that all I had to do was give a beep and she'd stop so fast she'd almost do a somersault. A beep or shock was never given unless she ignored a voice command so she quickly figured out what it was all about. Except when it came to the road. If I saw her get within 20 feet of it I'd give her a beep with no voice command (because I knew she'd obey by voice and not "get it").

Wow, that turned into quite a ramble. That's what happens when you get me talking about my dog.

The first day I got her and her first time in a canoe:

20100711_012 copy_web by Alan Gage, on Flickr

Our last morning in WCPP:

20120828_003 by Alan Gage, on Flickr

20120828_007 by Alan Gage, on Flickr

Good luck with the new dog, it's always an adventure!

Alan

Last edited:
I like Alan's dog. I have had various kinds of herding dogs for the last 50 years. All of them have enjoyed the water, living outdoors and the security of boats. They are easy to train and I can use them to trim the boat on a day trip. Most will be quiet in a canoe, although I had a Border Collie cross that liked to watch for fish. She was really excited during the salmon runs with 20 pounders swimming under the boat. It is a pure joy for me to bring dogs on canoe trips. I have taken 3 at a time, but usually farm one out to another boat. I now have a 1 yo Border Collie female that is already an allstar. I took her on a few day trips to get used to the boat. At first it helped to give her lots of biscuits when she got in and stayed in. She was a champ for a week this summer on the Willamette River.

I had one rescued BC that was a year old when I got her and had never been around the water. She was afraid of it. We put the family, Mom,. Dad and 2 other dogs in a canoe and left her on shore. As we paddled away it was her decision to swim, and she was really good after that. She had huge feet and was a very strong swimmer.

I have had my dogs chase bears out of camp numerous times. Some have swum some Class II and even III rapids with a lifejacket. They add a lot to trips and I cannot imagine going without them.

I wouldn't use a shock collar on a dog on a bet.

Last edited:
What to look for in a tripping dog?

Dilated Pupils can be a dead give away, you should stay away from those!

I bet Golden's don't speak Finnish, and they certainly aren't going to pass up sausage on a plate, I think they should be given some sort of handicap in a competition like that.

Barry

Last edited:
Jasper, our Australian Shepherd, just loves to go canoeing, and fits into the canoe just fine. He is near 50 lbs. Not sure I would want a much larger dog.

IMG_0155-XL.jpg

Really nice photos of your faithful friends everyone. My daughter's dog has stolen my heart, but she's still not my dog. She's very, very good on leash, but needs a bit of patient training off lead. Also, she is a rescue. Her extreme timidness suggests a harsh life, particularly with men. It didn't take long to bond with her, but it might be a long road to a future tripping life together. Even if that doesn't happen, I'll be happy to just while away some afternoons with her. We'll see if I can get her in a canoe, on a trip, with her new "grandpa."
Show me some more of your paddling days with your pals. I see a mat in the bottom of a hull makes for a more comfy spot for a canine. Good idea. I've seen a PFD before. What are your thoughts on these? An option or necessary equipment?

Definitely a foam pad. Gives them traction when jumping in and out as well as keeping them out of the bilge water. Also warmth when paddling in cold weather/water. When you get to camp at night it's their sleeping pad, or an extra pad for you to use around camp for more comfortable seating. The thick pads shown in my first picture are overkill but they're what I had for free at the time. I just use a cheap, thin, blue foam pad that the local discount store sells for about $10. Cut in half makes it about the right length.

It really is a pleasure to trip with a good dog, they add a lot to the experience. Fun to watch them see and experience new things and they're always a source of entertainment. There were lots of frogs in WCPP when we were there and every evening, all evening, Sadie would hunt them in camp. Could hardly get her to stop and eat her food. She's a pointer so her idea of hunting is to stare at something, really hard, and keep creeping closer and closer and closer until it finally runs. Once it runs it's fair game and she takes off after it. That doesn't work so well with frogs that are 2 inches away from the safety of water. Come to think of it it doesn't work very well with anything else either. Certainly entertaining though.

A video of her "process":

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7935459@N05/7895817572/in/photolist-d2J8tJ-d2JPxN

Another taste of traveling with the dog:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/79354...ist-d2Jug3-d2J8tJ-pvTTk3-d2JPxN-p9Rf7G-pPgCrZ

Alan

I don't have a PFD for Sadie though it wouldn't be a bad idea. She can swim but doesn't like to. We might do some river tripping with some light whitewater next summer and I'll likely get one for that. She's small and light enough that if she's in the water I can quickly swing her into the boat by the scruff of her neck and collar in one quick motion. If, however, we both wound up in the water it would be nice to not have to worry about her.

Alan

Another taste of traveling with the dog:
"Squirrel" Where? What a meany head, tricking that sweet girl like that. :)

Jasper too can swim, but not too big on it. He has always loved the water, bounding in deep, just prefers not to go in over his nose. Most of the waters I paddle on are either moving, or really cold, and the last thing I want to have to do is to risk things worrying about my dog in the event of a mishap. He is keen to put his PFD on, because it means we are going paddling.

I always give him good padding and insulation in the canoe, because of how cold the bottom of the boat is, and to keep him out of the bilge water. I like to keep him up an inch or more for good measure, and will fold out a stadium chair under a piece of ensolite for him.

He does prefer rivers, as stays way more alert watching things, as there is so much to see, rapidly going by. Just as on a lake, he is way more attentive when we are close to shore, where he can watch things closer. When we are a ways out he seems to get bored more easily, I guess the grand panoramas are not what catch his attention. :)

Sharp claws, large fangs, and craving the taste of bear meat. <<< ideal tripping dog>>>. Maybe large enough to fit a pack saddle to carry the canoe for you. Bonus points if it can make coffee.

I have 2 labs that would rather swim then get into a canoe, but I just picked up a Lab/Boxer puppy today. First impressions are he's fearless around the grumpy old dog and the cat so I will have to groom this one.

I like Waterdog.s answer.

In the late 90s I was running the Klamath River in northern CA for a week, and had my two herding dogs in an Avon 16.. My brother brought his giant Dachshund Dieter Bob that weighed around 38 pounds. The second day my brother's raft high sided and D Bob took a swim in a Class III rapid. He was wearing a PFD and was a strong swimmer for short sprints. He climbed out on a rock and was ready to jump back in the boat. A few days later, we were cooking dinner in the golden light of evening when we saw a black bear on the other side of the river sniffing the air. We decided to leave our kitchen where it was and slept in the woods about 200 yards away. No one used a tent. About 0300 I heard some woofing and snorting, then the 3 dogs jumped up and started barking. In the moonlight I could see the bear at a dead run being chased by our dog pack with Dieter Bob in the lead, ears flying. I miss all 3 of them.

Last edited:
In my mind, there's a difference between a good canoe dog and a good plain ol' dog... the canoe dog absolutely MUST be obedient and sit still at all times. My dog (a blue heeler/lab mix, we think) is mostly obedient as heck... hates getting his feet wet (so he doesn't jump out of the canoe until it's beached), sits, lays, stays, goes where you point, and is about as smart as a 4 or 5 year old kid in that regard... however, he snaps at every flying bug that comes within biting range, completely loses his mind when he's smelled a raccoon or possum, and once jumped up in the canoe after some ducks... If you're willing to risk a dumping, then "mostly obedient" is good enough. I can't have that, so he doesn't go canoeing with me.

A guy I know has a tee-ninesy little teacup chihuahua mix... dog weighs maybe 2-3lbs, and can run up and down the deck of his kayak with no ill effects. So I guess in that case obedience doesn't matter at all!

Size certainly makes a difference in the canoe. My previous dog was a 60lb Springer Spaniel who also loved to be in the canoe. He was well behaved but sudden, and especially unexpected, movements could really catch you unawares. That's one of the reasons I chose a smaller dog this time around. At just under 30 pounds she can do about whatever she wants in the canoe with no ill effects as long as she's in the bow and I can see it happening. In the bow of a solo there's only so far they can move left/right anyway so not as big of a deal. But even Sadie, when riding in the middle of a tandem canoe, can keep the bow paddler on their toes when she switches sides for a better view. Not a problem for the stern paddler as they see it happening.

My friend and I took a short paddle and he brought his 100+lb. lab with who wasn't accustomed to being in canoes. Good dog, just didn't know he should stay still and stay in the middle. We stayed dry but it was "interesting".

Love the Dieter Bob story.

Alan

In my mind, there's a difference between a good canoe dog and a good plain ol' dog... the canoe dog absolutely MUST be obedient and sit still at all times.
I kinda disagree with the first part of this statement, and completely agree with the latter. I believe that EVERY dog, whether they come in your canoe, or not, should be well trained, even the tiniest of breeds. If you spend the just first few months with the dog, diligently training it while giving it lots of good love, you will end up having a wonderful relationship with this dog, and be able to do many more things with it, than with an untrained dog. Other people very much respect a well trained dog and owner, and are very appreciative of them. You don't have to worry about the dog doing anything you don't want it to do.

I flew my dog out to the Boundary Waters in the 80s, a blue heeler/Aussie cross. She chased a bear out of camp. One night I was fishing for Northerns in the still of late evening around some small islands. I saw the dorsal fin break the surface and a giant mouth take the Hula popper. The fight was on and my dog started to get really excited. Once she saw the fish near the boat she started to thrash around and we had to head for shore to land. I have no photo of the fish but its head could have easily swallowed a softball.

Later on a portage, I ran into a lively guy from Minnesota. He asked me where I got the dog. By then we all had French accents. "I win her een a poker game" I replied. "Did you win or lose?" he answered.

I kinda disagree with the first part of this statement, and completely agree with the latter. I believe that EVERY dog, whether they come in your canoe, or not, should be well trained, even the tiniest of breeds. If you spend the just first few months with the dog, diligently training it while giving it lots of good love, you will end up having a wonderful relationship with this dog, and be able to do many more things with it, than with an untrained dog. Other people very much respect a well trained dog and owner, and are very appreciative of them. You don't have to worry about the dog doing anything you don't want it to do.

A well-trained dog with a good disposition is the only one I'll take in a canoe with me if I'm going to be out camping with them. My usual canine companion is a German shepherd, and one disadvantage there is definitely her size. But she stays put, and won't overreact if another dog all of a sudden starts going bananas on shore. My newest addition is a 30 lb. mutt who definitely takes up less space and generally behaves if she wants to (lol!). She might be the perfect canoe dog if she didn't get car sick and lose her lunch on the way to the put in every time.

Good disposition is key if you go camping. I can canoe for hundreds of miles and over dozen of portages and never see a dog anywhere, but bring a dog and all of a sudden it seems the area I am in is hosting the annual canine outdoor companion convention! Other owners always appreciate a well-behaved dog that won't be aggressive towards their own pet.

-rs

Back