• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Tripping in the Age of COVID19 - yea or nay? Thoughts?

This week is my spring break and I would have been making the first of my trips to the Adirondacks. That's not happening because of the stay at home directive. I have no idea when that will be lifted, but hopefully sometime this summer, preferably sooner than later. Just the other day I revised my 2020 trip list, rescheduling 6 spring trips - four backpacking and two day hikes. All the other trips have been pushed forward or put in reserve. The first one up to the Adirondacks isn't until late June and I think that is optimistic scheduling. There are some day hikes and one paddling trip nearby that I can do. One multiple-use area does have a few primitive camping spots and I plan to call to see if using them is allowed. I am also fortunate to have many fly fishing spots nearby. So other than some walks in the area and yard work, that's what it looks like for me.

As the clampdown tightens I'm having second thoughts. Just the other day my wife reminded me (she does that, telling me stuff she swears she's already told me but I swear it's the first time I've been told...) that some major recreational trails are closed, in fact any users will now be regarded as trespassers. Wow, trespassing on public property. There's a novel concept. But in perspective it makes sense. The carrot and the stick, I see no carrot but the stick is pretty simple. What started as Stay Home has become Stay Home Or Else. We went online to find any trails that might've escaped municipal directives but I decided that I'd rather just not go at all. There are places to walk, cycle and get away without bending rules to allay my own inconvenience. That will probably include canoe tripping now. I'll wait and see what the autumn looks like. BTW people are being discouraged from heading to cottage country to self-isolate as any emergency visits to the smaller hospitals there would have dire consequences on the health system. I don't think canoeing in the backcountry is very much different when you think about it. I'm not proselytizing here, just typing out loud. There are worse things in life than becoming a homebody for the time being.
The streets and roads have never been quieter; the sidewalks have never been busier. I see this as a slim silver lining to the very dark coronovirus cloud.

Last edited:
Overpopulation is dictating our activities more and more. I've always thought population growth limits individual freedom more than political ideology. Violating the Ohio stay at home order is $750 and jail. It's being enforced.

Paddling, at least here in Maryland, is considered a permitted form of exercise for the time being -- as long as proper social distancing is observed. But there are few if any places to go for camping/overnight trips because public (state and federal) and private campgrounds are closed.

probably.. I have a number of canoe trips available that are pretty close ( within three hours) that require no outside help and no accommodations before and after. Right now all campgrounds and motels are closed here. But it is unclear if that pertains to campsites outside the State Park System or private campgrounds.

North Maine Woods is now closed to all camping until further notice.

Not doubting you there but what is your source? Never minddddddd..... just looked up the NMW Facebook page. Their website says nothing still
An observation : we get the most up to date info on Facebook first...:rolleyes:

But it is not travel season. Their Facebook page shows why!! No one wants to drag your sorrya$$ out of a mudpit.

Thanks for the updates on social distancing and closures in different areas. I'm in Alberta where we have not too many people and lots of public land. Our National Parks are closed. Our Provincial Parks are closed and you are not allowed to park within a kilometer (0.6 miles) of the gate of the park. We have had to close the gate on our local cross-country ski area because it is a Provincial Forest Recreation Area - (this is significant because we are having a very late spring and we have been skiing steadily up to and including today. It was -17*C (~0*F) here this morning but it is supposed to warm up in the next week so skiing might be almost done.)
I'm not sure what I'm trying to say here but it's getting more difficult to find places to do things and maintain social distancing. It's also worrisome wondering when the social distancing is going to end - one month? three months? six months? a year? I'm already starting to get cabin fever and I'm looking for a socially responsible way to get out of the cabin.
When the ice goes away, it will be quite possible for me to go tripping and see no one else. I believe that I can arrange shuttles without involving many people - probably no one new to my very small self-isolating group. This works for social distancing and the odds of needing to be rescued are extremely small but there is some chance. Is it selfish to take that small chance? Is it selfish to be leaving the cabin? Our government has not banned going out completely, yet.

A couple of months ago, Kathleen and I booked our June 28 flight out of Yellowknife for a two-week trip out onto the Barren Gounds. We would need to drive through Yukon to reach the NWT. This morning, on the CBC, I read that,

“Any person entering Yukon will be stopped by an enforcement officer, required to fill out an information form detailing travel plans, including details such as phone number and planned stops. Non-residents who must transit through Yukon to Alaska or Northwest Territories or another part of Canada may do so but can only stay in Yukon for no more than 24 hours. Meanwhile, travellers into the territory, including residents, must self isolate for 14 days except for those providing critical services.”

Also, "To limit the spread of COVID-19, visitors are not allowed entry into the N.W.T.," according to the government's website.

The situation is not improving. But June 28 is still a long time away. But......?

i actually wouldn’t mind staying home, and getting our “Victory Garden” planted.

I'm not sure exactly where to draw the line but I think some trips are OK.

In Michigan recreational water sports are still OK. Oddly enough yesterday one of the local public parks was busier than I've ever seen it. So today we drove to the end of the street and walked down to the river using our canoe cart and launched from private property (we are friends with the owner and have permission) and had the river to ourselves. I don't feel guilty and plan to do it again soon.
image.jpegimage.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    274.3 KB · Views: 0
If you decide to go on a trip, dont advertise it on the popular Facebook canoe sites, cause the Social Distance Nazis will pull out all stops to make you look like the worst human in the world. I can walk 200 feet and put my canoe in, and I will be doing it. I wont see anyone on the water, and the world will be relieved of my miserable presence for a while.

If you decide to go on a trip, dont advertise it on the popular Facebook canoe sites, cause the Social Distance Nazis will pull out all stops to make you look like the worst human in the world. I can walk 200 feet and put my canoe in, and I will be doing it. I wont see anyone on the water, and the world will be relieved of my miserable presence for a while.

and I am not staying home to buy fresh seafood! Lobster brokers are gone and now I travel all over to buy lobster off the boat as it is cheap. Same for scallops. I now have a spread sheet on what farm to visit what day and how to order aforehand. with contacts. The goat farm is for some reason now selling TP( I am not questioning; I will take it). Eggs are easy. Meat is easy.

Yah we make our own choices. Hopefully they are informed to minimize stress on rescue teams ( which may or may NOT be busy).. Our dock goes in very soon and ya betcha I will be staying at home at least to start..on the dock.. Where I wind up ehh.. well I paddle by lots of seasonal rentals which cant be occupied!

The only commenting I want to do is point out the lack of support services. Your post trip burger or poutine may not be readily available and you may have to accommodate yourself overnight in the car.

A couple of months ago, Kathleen and I booked our June 28 flight out of Yellowknife for a two-week trip out onto the Barren Gounds. We would need to drive through Yukon to reach the NWT. This morning, on the CBC, I read that,

“Any person entering Yukon will be stopped by an enforcement officer, required to fill out an information form detailing travel plans, including details such as phone number and planned stops. Non-residents who must transit through Yukon to Alaska or Northwest Territories or another part of Canada may do so but can only stay in Yukon for no more than 24 hours. Meanwhile, travellers into the territory, including residents, must self isolate for 14 days except for those providing critical services.”

Also, "To limit the spread of COVID-19, visitors are not allowed entry into the N.W.T.," according to the government's website.

The situation is not improving. But June 28 is still a long time away. But......?

i actually wouldn’t mind staying home, and getting our “Victory Garden” planted.

You don't have to drive through Yukon to get to the Northwest Territories. You do have to drive through Alberta to get there. You don't have to worry about the Yukon directives but you do have to worry about the NWT directives.

Thanks Ralph. Sometimes I wonder about myself. When I posted this afternoon, I was remembering all of our trips to Inuvik, NWT, when we did go through Yukon. But our trips to Yellowknife, NWT, have always gone through Alberta. Mea Culpa. :( It seems my cognitive abilities have declined more than I am willing to admit. Sigh. I better stay off the site for a while, to avoid any more self-inflicted embarrassment.

Stay the bleep at home! Seriously folks. Stop everything until we are past this. The sooner everyone gets this concept the sooner we can get on with our lives. It may take 1-2 years at the rate we are going.

I know here in Indiana all our campgrounds are closed. Seeing as this will only be my 2nd year canoeing I haven't ventured out beyond the campgrounds that offered a shuttle. (just me & the dog go)
I have no problem waiting it out. Other than a couple quick grocery store trips I haven't really been out of the house other than a dog walk here or there.
That & I'm a fair weather outdoors man anyways and we are a far way from 60 degree nights here :) Figured this will give me time to either make my new canoe seats (or buy them)

Back